The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #5,146 of 23,560
I wonder if they can reshell an U4SE which is different than any other 64 Audio shell. (I did write to them will report back).
I'm getting tired of tip rolling and have a difficult time getting a good seal in my left ear, would love to reshell these to CIEM.
The U4SE is my goto IEM so I'm hesitant to send it out and possibly have the sound changed.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #5,147 of 23,560
The resell option looks awesome :) Awesome find @Deezel177 . I wonder if they can resell a TIA unit iem. Imagine a custom Tia Forte :)
But then again, what makes these hybrids from 64 unique, is the use of a deliberately designed resonance chamber for the dynamic drivers, a design made especially apparent in the N8 custom, and very obvious in a clear shell design.

From what I can see, the N8 hybrid, is made VERY differently from any hybrids on the market.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #5,148 of 23,560
The resell option looks awesome :) Awesome find @Deezel177 . I wonder if they can resell a TIA unit iem. Imagine a custom Tia Forte :)
But then again, what makes these hybrids from 64 unique, is the use of a deliberately designed resonance chamber for the dynamic drivers, a design made especially apparent in the N8 custom, and very obvious in a clear shell design.

From what I can see, the N8 hybrid, is made VERY differently from any hybrids on the market.

Yeah, those unique acoustic properties will be the main roadblock in reshelling the new Tia IEMs. But, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. :wink:

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #5,149 of 23,560
Got an answer from Naga Audio and they stated that they could reshell the U4SE, but they didn't see any difference in the internals. I'm going to try to get
decent pictures to send them. I'm quite interested in this my only concern is that it will change the sound of the U4SE. I'd be much happier if 64 Audio offered a reshell from Universal to Custom.
btw. the prices from Naga seem quite reasonable, $250 for a basic reshell.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #5,150 of 23,560
Got an answer from Naga Audio and they stated that they could reshell the U4SE, but they didn't see any difference in the internals. I'm going to try to get
decent pictures to send them. I'm quite interested in this my only concern is that it will change the sound of the U4SE. I'd be much happier if 64 Audio offered a reshell from Universal to Custom.
i am also appreciate my u4se unique sound signature much and tired of falling outs (it seems to me that nozzle of u4se is longer then average). I am thinking now about to change tips to custom acrylic tips that in theory will not change sound signature but improve sq. like this-

custom tips.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #5,151 of 23,560

Yeah, Naga Audio’s prices are based on the amount of drivers in the IEM + any added tech (like APEX, JH 4-pin connectors, etc.). As with other reshell companies, I’m sure they’ll try to match the FR curve as much as possible.

34479647_244770899410284_319235517428269056_n.jpg

i am also appreciate my u4se unique sound signature much and tired of falling outs (it seems to me that nozzle of u4se is longer then average). I am thinking now about to change tips to custom acrylic tips that in theory will not change sound signature but improve sq.

Those tips are made by Ambient Acoustics. From what I’ve heard, they make great stuff as well!

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #5,152 of 23,560
Yeah, Naga Audio’s prices are based on the amount of drivers in the IEM + any added tech (like APEX, JH 4-pin connectors, etc.). As with other reshell companies, I’m sure they’ll try to match the FR curve as much as possible.

Those tips are made by Ambient Acoustics. From what I’ve heard, they make great stuff as well!
You are quite right - i am lucky to live close to them)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #5,153 of 23,560
Yeah, those unique acoustic properties will be the main roadblock in reshelling the new Tia IEMs. But, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. :wink:

These reshells look awesome, but how close will it sound to the original tuning, taking into consideration both tia and apex?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #5,154 of 23,560
That's my concern with a reshell of the 64 Audio IEMs, especially the ones with special acoustic chambers, and APEX or ADEL technology added.
Not 100% sure I want to experiment with my IEMs only to find out the sound has been changed drastically.
My Westone UM30 Pros? that's an interesting idea (and get rid of the MMCX connector!)

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,155 of 23,560
These reshells look awesome, but how close will it sound to the original tuning, taking into considering both tia and apex?
guess that this custom tips will not affect on character of sound caused by apex chamber and m15 module. That's because tip covers only front part where the nozzle is. At least I hope so)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #5,156 of 23,560
These reshells look awesome, but how close will it sound to the original tuning, taking into consideration both tia and apex?

I think APEX is less of an issue since it's structurally akin to an extra driver with an extra sound tube. As long as the chamber dimensions and the tube specifications are the same, then it should maintain the same functionality. Tia is the tougher cookie, because it relies heavily on the acoustics of the single bore. Though, considering the fact that Tia bores exist in universals as well, there should be an set formula within the dimensions of the bore that Naga Audio can strive to figure out in due time. The only thing I think may be impossible to duplicate would be the N8's dynamic driver. If the data in Linus's review is accurate and 64Audio truly do tune each dynamic driver according to the user's ear, then a one-to-one reshell would guarantee a different sound.

That's my concern with a reshell of the 64 Audio IEMs, especially the ones with special acoustic chambers, and APEX or ADEL technology added.
Not 100% sure I want to experiment with my IEMs only to find out the sound has been changed drastically.
My Westone UM30 Pros? that's an interesting idea (and get rid of the MMCX connector!)

Yeah, experimenting with an IEM that you wouldn't mind risk altering a touch is a great way to go about it.

guess that this custom tips will not affect on character of sound caused by apex chamber and m15 module. That's because tip covers only front part where the nozzle is. At least I hope so)

Well, tips make up a significant percentage of a universal IEM's overall signature. They heavily affect the acoustics of the ear and will yield different responses when changed about. However, custom tips are removable, so any change they produce is reversible. On the other hand, a full reshell will yield a more integrated product with greater customisability, but it's permanent.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #5,157 of 23,560
so who is doing the custom tips? I looked at ambient acoustics but didn't see them on their website.
I'd be willing to try that on my U4SEs before handing them over for a reshell.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #5,158 of 23,560
so who is doing the custom tips? I looked at ambient acoustics but didn't see them on their website.
I'd be willing to try that on my U4SEs before handing them over for a reshell.
here you can write e-mail to manager shop [@] ambient-acoustics.com.ua
and just ask them about this possibility to make custom ear tips for your iems or just show them picture i`ve posted.
this service is just not on their site yet but they do it anyway

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,159 of 23,560
I think APEX is less of an issue since it's structurally akin to an extra driver with an extra sound tube. As long as the chamber dimensions and the tube specifications are the same, then it should maintain the same functionality. Tia is the tougher cookie, because it relies heavily on the acoustics of the single bore. Though, considering the fact that Tia bores exist in universals as well, there should be an set formula within the dimensions of the bore that Naga Audio can strive to figure out in due time. The only thing I think may be impossible to duplicate would be the N8's dynamic driver. If the data in Linus's review is accurate and 64Audio truly do tune each dynamic driver according to the user's ear, then a one-to-one reshell would guarantee a different sound.

Yeah, experimenting with an IEM that you wouldn't mind risk altering a touch is a great way to go about it.

Well, tips make up a significant percentage of a universal IEM's overall signature. They heavily affect the acoustics of the ear and will yield different responses when changed about. However, custom tips are removable, so any change they produce is reversible. On the other hand, a full reshell will yield a more integrated product with greater customisability, but it's permanent.
Dynamic drivers are versatile and very easy to adjust. When I owned a pair of Future Sonics they had user replaceable filters on the faceplate that would control the back venting of the driver. Back venting is the easiest way to control a dynamic driver, front venting is also possible but less common. The more you restrict the back vent the less bass response you will get. I also auditioned the lola a year ago at one of the can jams and it didn't have a back vent out to the atmosphere like most DD designs. They are used on the mids so it probably doesn't have as big of an impact. When trying to produce sub lows every little thing counts when I played with the future sonic filters.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Aug 7, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #5,160 of 23,560
It sucks that 64 currently doesnt reshell universals into customs. But I'd rather sell universals and buy a pair of customs then let a Chinese outfit tinker with my IEMs. Apex and Tia factor in as well, I just dont feel comfortable letting someone other than the OEM mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back