The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #5,101 of 23,560
I guess the Janus could be considered better value since it comes with a pigtail adapter and is $200 cheaper, but then you'd miss out on that downright sexy box of the Horus.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #5,102 of 23,560
As someone who's already tried persuade you to sell your Janus to me and having spent just an hour with my A18s/ hugo2 and it at canjam, i can say that any issues with ergonomics are pale to nothing for the massive joy it gives on the SQ front. I love the Leo with every other IEM i've listened to prior the A18s and i think its the best value for money cable i've tried. With the A18s i found it makes the Upper mids/ lower treble just a bit to hot for my sensitive lugs.

I listened my way up the range, enjoyed the lionheart a lot and nearly pulled the trigger, then Eric lost a sale by suggesting i try the Janus D, which for me is easily worth double the lionheart in purely SQ improving terms. The improvement in texturing, weight and depth it adds in the bass and lower mids is noticeable within minutes of first hearing it does just wondrous things to the treble, in that it manages to smooth it out while somehow managing to keep the A18s airiness.

i appreciate this all from just an hour's listening but i can only see it getting better and better with time... All of this said, i've had PW 1960s itch and living in the UK no way to scratch it, so thanks to an incredible deal from a very well know Singaporean retailer i'm going to give it a try before i probably sell it along with one of my cornea. At well under half the price of the Janus its got to be worth a try. Does anyone else have experience with the 1960s with A18s? it would be great hear i've got it wrong before it arrives on monday :wink:

Your 1960s is on the way to you now. :wink:

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #5,103 of 23,560
Your 1960s is on the way to you now. :wink:

I've had the updates and i'm very excited, the only sadness is that i'll have to sit and watch it burn in for 3 or 4 days before i can start listening. But i'm flying the US next week so hopefully i'll have plenty of uninterrupted listening time. Thanks for the update and such great speedy service, your quickly becoming my local Head fi shop despite me being on the other side of the world :):)

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #5,104 of 23,560
My audiophile spiral into oblivion has gone another level deeper: the world of daps, I just got my Onkyo DPX1A 2 days ago and after a lot of headache trying to get rid of Google stuff, Ive got my A3s plugged in and I've finally reached that flat neutral sound Ive been looking for all this time. Guess my Spartans IV are getting sidelined for good now.

Eagerly awaiting the next payday so I can get the A6ts.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #5,105 of 23,560
I've had the updates and i'm very excited, the only sadness is that i'll have to sit and watch it burn in for 3 or 4 days before i can start listening. But i'm flying the US next week so hopefully i'll have plenty of uninterrupted listening time. Thanks for the update and such great speedy service, your quickly becoming my local Head fi shop despite me being on the other side of the world :):)

I am glad to be able to serve you. :)

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #5,106 of 23,560
I did not get an opportunity to test the 8 wire Horus, just the 4 wire version. Actually the lighter weight cable was the major deciding factor for me.

Soundstage was really vast for both the Janus D and Horus cables - I'd say they were pretty much tied. Detail rendering was a bit better on the Horus than the Janus D. Treble was more pronounced with the Horus.

In short, if the Janus D was a 4 wire cable I might have pulled the trigger on that one to save some cash. The performance is a little better on the Horus but not leaps and bounds better than the Janus D. However, the thinner and more comfortable cable was worth the jump in price for me.

My impressions: I like to use the u18 with the m15 module where it's got loads of air, treble spark and treble bite. It's a bit thin and ethereal sounding and the mids, while super clear, lack dynamics for guitar. I like it, but my cable choice would have to mitigate it. The horus did not, it only made it worse. I should have tried it with the m20 module too, but with the m15 it was too bright, too thin and lacking in dynamics and wow. The Janus corrected everything I was looking for, and then some -- adding some very special effects of its own. In conclusion, the Horus is a very high quality SQ cable, but the u18 already has more than enough of that so I went for something else.

The ergonomics on the Horus were amazing thought. And it looks better.

*all impressions with 4 wire horus.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #5,108 of 23,560
Well ppl are talking about expensive cables, a12t, a18. Maybe only me in here is still listening to A12. With ares 8wire and dx200 w/amp8, they made the a12 more enjoyable to listen. Not miss A18 at all ^_^.

20180803_225442.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #5,109 of 23,560
Well ppl are talking about expensive cables, a12t, a18. Maybe only me in here is still listening to A12. With ares 8wire and dx200 w/amp8, they made the a12 more enjoyable to listen. Not miss A18 at all ^_^.
Looks like you opted to send that difference between the 12t and 18t + cables on the DX200.How are you finding it?

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #5,110 of 23,560
I do agree that there isn’t a way that a company would ship such an expensive IEM without a cable that didn’t make it hit its potential. But for me at least there’s been aftermarket cables that definitely make the listening experience better even if it is a small margin. Yeah the Janus D does sound different to my Ares II, $1300 different? No chance. But I’m paying the premium to tweak the sound to my liking down to every but under my control and for some of us that’s worth the extra cash.
That’s an interesting subject. Every company has an obligation to its owner/investors to make them as much money as possible. The idea is that we expect manufacturers to provide the best cable to reach its potential but the profit is still what drives companies. I’ve seen a lot of cables and in my opinion there is room for improvement to what is offered as a stock option even for spendier products. A cable that’s $1000+ may be a bit overkill or a luxury product. There are some good choices that will give great value/quality for much less than a $1000. If someone can afford a lixury item that’s great. A lot of us hunt for a bargain though.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #5,112 of 23,560
As someone who's already tried persuade you to sell your Janus to me and having spent just an hour with my A18s/ hugo2 and it at canjam, i can say that any issues with ergonomics are pale to nothing for the massive joy it gives on the SQ front. I love the Leo with every other IEM i've listened to prior the A18s and i think its the best value for money cable i've tried. With the A18s i found it makes the Upper mids/ lower treble just a bit to hot for my sensitive lugs.

I listened my way up the range, enjoyed the lionheart a lot and nearly pulled the trigger, then Eric lost a sale by suggesting i try the Janus D, which for me is easily worth double the lionheart in purely SQ improving terms. The improvement in texturing, weight and depth it adds in the bass and lower mids is noticeable within minutes of first hearing it does just wondrous things to the treble, in that it manages to smooth it out while somehow managing to keep the A18s airiness.

i appreciate this all from just an hour's listening but i can only see it getting better and better with time... All of this said, i've had PW 1960s itch and living in the UK no way to scratch it, so thanks to an incredible deal from a very well know Singaporean retailer i'm going to give it a try before i probably sell it along with one of my cornea. At well under half the price of the Janus its got to be worth a try. Does anyone else have experience with the 1960s with A18s? it would be great hear i've got it wrong before it arrives on monday :wink:

Wow 1960 at US$500 ish? That's a great price - 50% off. How did you manage that?

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #5,113 of 23,560
Not quite that good, we seem to get stiffed in the uk on the rrp compared to everywhere else in the world.

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5,114 of 23,560
Looks like you opted to send that difference between the 12t and 18t + cables on the DX200.How are you finding it?
I don't like A12t at all. Ppl said its an upgraded of original a12 but for me its not. Its totally different sound signature and it was harsh to my ears. I don't like Trio either.
I sold my A18 after almost a year. Now im back with the original A12. With Ares 2 8wire and Dx200 w/amp8, they push the original A12 to another level with clear mid, puchier and tigher bass, extended treble and more details, wider soundstage. I should call this is a true upgrade of A12, not A12t.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #5,115 of 23,560
Wow 1960 at US$500 ish? That's a great price - 50% off. How did you manage that?

Janus is D is 1399 USD the 1960s is 1399 SGD, i'm working GBP so with the discount = just over half price of janus to me in GBP.. and as i say we're getting stiffed by electronics manufacturers so its all good if a little hard on my basic maths :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back