The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #5,071 of 23,560
Guys, just out of curiosity...

Is it possible for the 64audio fellows to reshell a universal IEM to a Custom IEM? Forgive me for not checking their website first, but I have just assumed that the answer is so easy for you :)

Any idea regarding the costs? I am referring to a U18t IEM.

Thank you!

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #5,072 of 23,560
Guys, just out of curiosity...

Is it possible for the 64audio fellows to reshell a universal IEM to a Custom IEM? Forgive me for not checking their website first, but I have just assumed that the answer is so easy for you :)

Any idea regarding the costs? I am referring to a U18t IEM.

Thank you!

Check FAQ at their website, it's all there;]

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #5,074 of 23,560
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #5,076 of 23,560
I'm planning on purchasing a TOTL IEM of some kind later in the year and previously enjoyed owning the U8 but would prefer something more neutral.

The U12T and Tia Trio are on my radar and I'm keen to hear how they compare in terms of ergonomics, coherency and neutrality. Does the DD of the Trio lag behind the BAs terribly much?

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #5,077 of 23,560
sadly i cant unhear the Janus so its going to happen, i dont know how yet but somehow :wink:

Well, with me it just happened. They'll ship the Janus D Tuesday.

In the end, I just couldn't get the sound out of my head. The memory of the size of it, and the dynamics and ferocity of the electrical guitars in the extreme right and left edge of that memory did it for me. I tried to provide counter-arguments, but the problem is -- it sounded great with every track I tried. Made the u18 (even with the m15 model!) all-forgiving. Everything from treble happy hi fi recordings to trashy, stupidly mixed rock was -- to my memory -- at least very fun. Which is something I've never experienced before. Usually like 30% of the tracks with any given phone / cable / source combination sound bad. I'm sure I'll find tracks that the u18 / janus D sucks at (probably stuff with very smooth treble), but for the moment of purchase that really soothed my worries.

And, as said, there was some real magic in that combination. Something very precious was happening when the already wide soundstage of the u18 was augmented with the janus D. When I closed my eyes it just sounded almost infinite in a way that no IEM has ever sounded to me. Didn't hurt the janus D also gave it depth, which the u18 is a little shy on. I may have been a little worried about losing some treble sparkle to that copper sound, but there was also something pleasant about the smoothness of that janus D assisted tia treble. Like silk on silk. There was no detail loss.

The only problem is that I am now an insane idiot who has a 1400 USD cable that I can't leave the house with, because it has incredibly bad ergonomics, like wrapping a 1950s phone cable around your neck. Is stiff as *** and makes me look like I've finally lost my mind.

An image that is perhaps not entirely untrue...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #5,079 of 23,560
Well, with me it just happened. They'll ship the Janus D Tuesday.

In the end, I just couldn't get the sound out of my head. The memory of the size of it, and the dynamics and ferocity of the electrical guitars in the extreme right and left edge of that memory did it for me. I tried to provide counter-arguments, but the problem is -- it sounded great with every track I tried. Made the u18 (even with the m15 model!) all-forgiving. Everything from treble happy hi fi recordings to trashy, stupidly mixed rock was -- to my memory -- at least very fun. Which is something I've never experienced before. Usually like 30% of the tracks with any given phone / cable / source combination sound bad. I'm sure I'll find tracks that the u18 / janus D sucks at (probably stuff with very smooth treble), but for the moment of purchase that really soothed my worries.

And, as said, there was some real magic in that combination. Something very precious was happening when the already wide soundstage of the u18 was augmented with the janus D. When I closed my eyes it just sounded almost infinite in a way that no IEM has ever sounded to me. Didn't hurt the janus D also gave it depth, which the u18 is a little shy on. I may have been a little worried about losing some treble sparkle to that copper sound, but there was also something pleasant about the smoothness of that janus D assisted tia treble. Like silk on silk. There was no detail loss.

The only problem is that I am now an insane idiot who has a 1400 USD cable that I can't leave the house with, because it has incredibly bad ergonomics, like wrapping a 1950s phone cable around your neck. Is stiff as *** and makes me look like I've finally lost my mind.

Madness, it maybe, yes it does look a like a rope suitable for mooring a super tanker, but its the best cable i've heard by a country mile with the A18 and i'm very jealous. I'm holding out to try the PW 1960s in the hope, as its ergonomics look way better, that its as good... sadly i doubt it is, so fingers crossed i'll join you as soon as i can sell my Leo and other bits :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #5,080 of 23,560
I'm going to focus on the n8 since I think that its the most highly anticipated IEM thus far amongst the various hybrids out there.
In terms of signature, its it primarily a bass reference iem. Reference, not in terms of it being a reference IEM like the UERR, but that it portrays how bass should sound like. Traditionally, companies have implemented dynamics into the bass regions as a means to improve the depth and body of the bass ( with the exception of the Lola), and the n8T is no exception. Unfortunately, some hybrids overdo it, leading the the bass literally overwhelming everything else in the frequency graph, leading to a veiled sound or excessive reverberations. The n8t seeks to show the auditioner what bass, real bass in its tonality and scale, should sound like. Its accurate in its timber, extends as far as it needs to, hits hard enough for you to feel it as if you were in the studio , and stops when it should.

That said, it still retains its presence for its vocals and its highs. Vocals come through clearly and cleanly, and highs are sparkly and bright. I listen to female vocals, and I still find myself able to focus on the vocals without much effort. This I feel, is partially due to how well the resolution and separation of the n8t tuning is. However, this still is predominantly a bass-oreintated iem. The bass still commands the most authority in the whole iem, not in an overwhelming way, but just enough to remind you that, yes, this is still a bass orientated IEM least you lose yourself in the vocals.

The n8t performs admirably on standard stock cable, and makes it seem like upgrade cables are an option rather than a necessity. Hence, what would upgrade cables, or in this case, cable rolling, bring? That wold be signature tweaking as opposed to performance enhancement. Technical performance is universal, its either resolving or it is not. Signature? Thats personal, and hence what cable rolling can bring to the table. Happily, post launch event, I had the opportunity to cable roll to the PW 1960.

As mentioned before, I enjoy my vocals more than bass. Hence, my wish was to just bring the bass down a touch, and bring the vocals forward a little. Changing to my PW 1960, by sheer coincidence, achieved that. But rather than reduce the bass, what it did was pull the bass back. That in turn had the effect of bringing the vocals centerstage. This small tweak mod, immediately ticked off all the items in my checklist. Sparkly highs? Checked. Sweet and lush vocals that take forefront? Checked. Realistic yet commanding bass? Yes sir.

In short, I regret listening to the n8t. I regret swapping cables. I regret the soon large hole in my wallet. But, I wont regret owning one.

Hi, do you know whether it's possible to somehow get this "demo" universal shell of N8t (like the one on the picture)?

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,081 of 23,560
Hi, do you know whether it's possible to somehow get this "demo" universal shell of N8t (like the one on the picture)?

Ask 64 ears very very nicely if it's possible to sell you one in a universal format? If it was possible I'm surprised they've not put it up on site.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #5,083 of 23,560
I actually asked that question to 64 at the event and they said they might do it if they get decent amount of requests. Maybe crowd funding would work?
Maybe crowd funding might be a way. Considering they already did demo version, other pieces wouldn't cost them that much, the shell geometry is similar to u12t (maybe little smaller) and other tia UIEMs. It would be awesome, we can maybe suggest this idea to 64audio... if so you can definitely count me in :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #5,085 of 23,560

You spent 3k USD on a TOTL CIEM, not pairing it with cable that brings out the best in it would be real insanity I would say.

Personally I've set a limit where the max I'd spend on a cable is roughly 15% of the IEM price, but then I prefer flat neutral sound with a copper cable to bring in some warmth and push things up which is probably in lower end of cables anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back