The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4,426 of 23,543
May 31, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #4,427 of 23,543
N8t :wink:

May 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,431 of 23,543
Selling my u18tzar I think.... only to move back to fullsize cans. They're the best I've heard in IEM form by far (i've spent way too much on IEMs.... ha).

May 31, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #4,432 of 23,543
Selling my u18tzar I think.... only to move back to fullsize cans. They're the best I've heard in IEM form by far (i've spent way too much on IEMs.... ha).

My feelings on this can best be summarized by quoting my Meze 99 Classics review.

There are three categories of transducer I want stocked and on-hand at all times.
Category I: Full-size, high impedance headphone meant for a desktop amp. (These sound the best. LCD-2 is my primary, used only for music. HD6XX is secondary, used for everything else.)
Category II: Full-size, low impedance headphone meant for work/mobile use. (These will never sound quite as good. Being sourced by mobile gear doesn’t help matters. Momentum 2.0 belongs here, making this the weakest of the three classes.)
Category III: In-Ear Monitors meant for work/mobile use. (These sound nearly as good from a quality DAP as they do from a desktop system. They are VERY efficient. U12 and Solar sit at the head of this table.)

May 31, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4,433 of 23,543
I think that is a good idea, but once you go TOTL I can't seem to enjoy other things as much. I can't afford u18t plus a Utopia, so one has to be enjoyed for now. It sucks, for sure. I am hoping the Utopia (or maybe LCD 4z) plus a DX200 would be great for most things besides out of the house stuff.

Ideally, I'd have full sized that work well with portable players and then a nice beefy amp as well for them. In demoing the Focal Clear, I could barely tell a difference from a $5k McIntosh headphone amp and my DX200 on them. Truly it would be good enough for me. I also do think the u18t are as good sounding as full sized, it's just a different presentation. I mostly just am a little over sticking things in my ears 24/7 :wink:

May 31, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,435 of 23,543
I think that is a good idea, but once you go TOTL I can't seem to enjoy other things as much. I can't afford u18t plus a Utopia, so one has to be enjoyed for now. It sucks, for sure. I am hoping the Utopia (or maybe LCD 4z) plus a DX200 would be great for most things besides out of the house stuff.

Ideally, I'd have full sized that work well with portable players and then a nice beefy amp as well for them. In demoing the Focal Clear, I could barely tell a difference from a $5k McIntosh headphone amp and my DX200 on them. Truly it would be good enough for me. I also do think the u18t are as good sounding as full sized, it's just a different presentation. I mostly just am a little over sticking things in my ears 24/7 :wink:
Since I only use my iems at work cant have full cans it will look awkward. I'm sticking to my u18t even though the thought if getting the lx crossed my mind I'm passed it now very happy with my u18t and the dx200

May 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #4,436 of 23,543
I mostly just am a little over sticking things in my ears 24/7 :wink:

You will grow tired of having full-size headphones on your head 24/7 also.

Trust me. It's better to buy a $1K IEM and $1K set of cans than to spend $2K on a single category. I could never be happy with only Headphones or only IEMs. We need both. :D

May 31, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #4,437 of 23,543
I was a real IEM sceptic - but I’m now a convert - i went crazy and bought the tia forte and have had them for a couple of weeks - they are amazing - but they are too good for what I want them for - I want something for when I’m walking around outside and I have some campfire vega’s that are in a different / lesser league but wont give me so much anxiety!!

But there is no question they are the real deal - amazing - just not for me.

May 31, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #4,438 of 23,543
I feel the same way. I went portable after having several desktop rigs, with TOTL full size gear.
My A18T and my SP1000 DAP have been every bit as good. I have a pair of the massdrop HD58X in bound for that price and their impedance “efficiency” is the only reason I decided on a full size can again.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #4,439 of 23,543
No longer with a "t" :D
Neigh
Funny-Horse-animal-planet-3294859-600-401.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back