The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 3, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,866 of 23,560
For recordings with a sense of venue the Fourte is sublime. I don't think I want to live without Tia drivers for both mid & and high ever again.
Thanks. By "sense of venue", you mean live recordings, right? Sounds like you really like Fourte. For what type of tracks do you pick U18 over Fourte?

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,867 of 23,560
I'm also interested in this, I've been really impressed with the Tia and 64 audio..I have some A12ts on the way, but my next buy is either the Forte or the U18ts....still deciding between the two.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,868 of 23,560
So because of the untimely death of my Modi 2 right as my Triós arrived, I decided to splurge and grab myself a new Schiit stack. My goodness, the tia top end in combination with the Modi Multibit/Magni 3 is absolutely on another level. Cymbals have never sounded this good, ever. Still waiting for the R2R to properly burn in but the bass has gone from thin, to bloated, to quite good at this point. Not quite as nimble with the transients especially in the sub-bass region compared to what I can recall from the Modi 2/Magni 2 but I'm expecting it to settle in more over the next while. Hope to have a friend's older stack at some point to A/B and compare everything with these hyper-resolving Triós.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #2,869 of 23,560
So happy to have run into this thread!

In a dire need for advice as I debate between the A18t and A12t.

I’m a mere music lover—not an audiophile—with a relatively keen ear. My sound source alternates between a mighty A&K sp1000ss and a lowly iPod Shuffle, which I use 75% of time when riding my motorcycle, cycle, or just being on the move.

iPod Shuffle: EDM, Techno, House. Anything that pushes me to move :) A good portion in low res…
sp1000ss: all of the above + Rock-n-Roll, Blues, vocals and world music

So, which of the models would put the biggest smile on my face? Is there a different CIEM I should consider?

Looking forward to your opinion!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,870 of 23,560

I’m merely a music lover—not even an audiophile—with a relatively keen ear. My sound source alternate between a mighty A&K sp1000ss and a lowly iPod Shuffle, which I use 75% of time when riding my motorcycle, cycle, or just being on the move.

iPod Shuffle: EDM, Techno, House. Anything that pushes me to move J A good portion in low res…
sp1000ss: all the above + Rock-n-Roll, Blues, vocals and world music

So, which of the models would put the biggest smile on my face? Is there a different CIEM I should consider?

Cheers!

A12t.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,871 of 23,560

I’m merely a music lover—not even an audiophile—with a relatively keen ear. My sound source alternate between a mighty A&K sp1000ss and a lowly iPod Shuffle, which I use 75% of time when riding my motorcycle, cycle, or just being on the move.

iPod Shuffle: EDM, Techno, House. Anything that pushes me to move J A good portion in low res…
sp1000ss: all the above + Rock-n-Roll, Blues, vocals and world music

Cheers!
U would like to look at @flinkenick 's shootout and thread. Assuming you'd like a energetic sound, the a18t or the empire legend x would suit your needs

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,872 of 23,560
Also twister6 had a great review of the U12t vs the trio...I think the a18t is more reference and the a12t is more musicial. If you have the money to spend i’d Get the a18t for sure...but, yes, the new Empire Ears are worth considering, my vote is for somthing 64 audio because to me they have a fantastic sound.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #2,873 of 23,560
Actually I re-read what you want and I think the a12t would be great for you...it’s more musicial, it has a good low end but can also do all genres really well...it’s a wonderful CIEM you can’t go wrong

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,874 of 23,560
Depends on your priorities. Both will sound great for those genres. The A18s will be super detailed,exciting, crazy wide soundstage and has better layering and instrument separation. A12t doesn’t lack in those areas, but the A18t takes those qualities further. A12t is smoother and you can listen for hours without fatigue. But if 75% of your listening time is while riding, the A12t in my opinion will have the edge in sounding fuller and giving you that nice low end while riding when using the M20 modules. The A18 woundn’t be able to match that fullness and low end quantity in that environment. Both are great IEMs in the end. I own the A12t, but would own the A18s to complement them if I could.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,875 of 23,560
Another point to consider, though I'm not sure about ipod Shuffle output impedance, U/A12t has LID crossover tech which makes their sound independent of the source output impedance.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,877 of 23,560
For those with Trios or Fortes, what genres are you listening to most?
Jazz fusion (don't laugh!), blues, some classical, lots of tracks with acoustic guitar. Listening with fourtes and 1Z, and also Hugo/LC.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #2,878 of 23,560
I listen to very little jazz, some Classical, Metal, Indie, Folk, Shoegaze/Post-Rock, Electronic....really everything except not a lot of country or Jazz....but I want to get into Jazz!

Jazz fusion (don't laugh!), blues, some classical, lots of tracks with acoustic guitar. Listening with fourtes and 1Z, and also Hugo/LC.

Speaking of which, you have any accessible Jazz albums for a newb?

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,879 of 23,560
....although I guess I don't have fortes or trios, I just realized

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,880 of 23,560
Oh shoot, not to hijack, but how redundant would it be if I bought a Trio considering I also own an A12t? Better to wait and get a U18 or Forte?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back