The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,261 of 23,575
My guess
Y = 2 Dynamic drivers + 2 Tia BA drivers per ear
X = 14BA drivers per ear with Tia technology included

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,262 of 23,575
My guesses:

X & Y = A8 & A12, updated to use Tia drivers (let it be true!)

I've no idea which is X or Y, though.
Yes, I think the A12s are due for an update to TIA and incorporate some of the user feedback on it. I'd say the Y is another dynamic being 4 drivers, (dynamic, 2-mids, 1-Tia high), and the X is the 12 driver w/ Tia.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,263 of 23,575
My second guess:

The 64 Audio team is having some fun with us.

The X is the U18 and the Y is the Tia Fourte (disguised in white).

I hate it when imy second guess is the one I wish I made first!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,264 of 23,575
I stopped by RMAF upon opening Friday am. I'm pretty new to the personal audio scene. This was my first chance to listen to the 64 lineup. I wanted to dislike them given their pricing, but after listening to the A12, U18, and Tia Forte, I came away impressed. I brought a friend in tow, and this was a completely new scene for him. He had my old AKJr, and was listening through the lineup, switching back and forth listening to Hotel California on his iphone, then in hi res on the AK.
He exclaimed "it's amazing how much better the hi res format sounds...". Vlad was sitting across from him, and his eyes lit up.
Out came the X and Y prototypes. He wanted my friend to try the prototypes again, listening through the iphone and the AK.
Suddenly, the performance of the iphone as a source was much better, and the gap between the iphone and AK was small.
Vlad noted that these units contained circuitry that more or less made them output impedence agnostic, and elevated the performance of the phone output.
FWIW, listening to 24 bit London Grammar on my Z1, I felt the X was likely a more budget range model, and the Y was performing near U18/Tia forte levels. Again, this really isn't my scene, and I'll be interested when the curtain is raised on the whole X/Y thing.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,265 of 23,575
My second guess:

The 64 Audio team is having some fun with us.

The X is the U18 and the Y is the Tia Fourte (disguised in white).

I hate it when imy second guess is the one I wish I made first!
Was thinking the same thing.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #1,267 of 23,575
Have no chance to try but from reading thru people impression.

I guess

X has U12 config + additional 2 mid BA total 14
Y has 3 Tia driver one high, mid and low.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,271 of 23,575
I never get to have a chance to audition Tia IEMs but eh....I'll just guess.

Prototype X = 15 BA drivers and 1 Tia Driver.

Prototype Y = 5 Tia Drivers and 1 Dynamic Driver.

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,272 of 23,575
Too funny reading this thread :wink: 64 Audio had the intention for people to guess the number of drivers based on auditioning X & Y and comparing it to U18, Fourte and their other iems. Yet, majority of guesses I'm reading so far is based on speculation :) Where are the actual impressions? We need more!

I'm disqualifying myself from guessing, 'cause i might have a few bits of internal info, though don't know for sure, but let's just look at the available facts :wink: One prototype has a replaceable apex module, suggesting it's an all BA design, and the other one has no replaceable apex and a large vent similar to Fourte, suggesting it's a hybrid design with internal module. Also, from a very few listening impressions posted so far, they both sound great straight out of the phone, suggesting a tuning appropriate for low impedance source, again, similar to U18 and Fourte (and U4-SE). Also, many asked about TIA tech in a more affordable 64 Audio models, relative to A/U18 and Fourte. So, i think we are heading that direction.

Now, let's hear more of the actual impressions!

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,274 of 23,575
I notice some of the impression about the X / Y are less sensitive to the output impedance of the source. Any impression on the A18 on how it reacts to output impedance of the source? For example Chord Mojo with close to zero output impedance vs other DAPs with around 2-4.

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,275 of 23,575
I notice some of the impression about the X / Y are less sensitive to the output impedance of the source. Any impression on the A18 on how it reacts to output impedance of the source? For example Chord Mojo with close to zero output impedance vs other DAPs with around 2-4.

If you read my review of Shanling M2s dap (that one has 4.8ohm output impedance), in pair up section i used U18, among others, and found the effect of reduced mid bass and elevated lower treble (was too crisp for my taste). I wasn't too crazy about that pair up. Something like U12 will work better with higher impedance sources, A/U18 is audiophile tuned iem for lower impedance sources which is what majority of daps have today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back