The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #9,406 of 23,668
Interesting you say that about the 4-6k range, especially when you compare it to the Solaris. I thought the Solaris was infamous for having a dip around that area?
I find the Solaris bass quantity to be a bit low, so the dip doesn't bother me as much. One of the reasons I went for the a12t was because a demo u12t I experienced had stronger bass but still remained relatively neutral overall. I find that my a12t lack some clarity up top because of how powerful the bass is, so I would want to shift some energy from down low to up top. This somewhat falls in line with my observation of how the a12t sounds differs a little from the u12t sound. Compared to my brief experience with the u12t (demo unit), the bass is thicker on the a12t. As a result, the mids and trebles are a little bit overshadowed. However, I will say all this with the caveat that I have been 80% background listening while I work/exercise and 20% actually critically listening and comparing. I also have not had the chance to mess with EQ yet so who knows.

I know my previous statement on the a12t seems a bit on the negative side, but I think the a12t gets a lot more right than wrong. The dynamic range on this thing is amazing, the detail retrieval is also great (with a question mark about the vocals; I'm not sure why they sound a bit smoothed over, need to listen more and see if it's the bass being too heavy or just how the a12t are). Acoustics/country sounds great on these. Stuff like metal (I don't listen to much) and rock could use a bit more clarity up top.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #9,407 of 23,668
I find the Solaris bass quantity to be a bit low, so the dip doesn't bother me as much. One of the reasons I went for the a12t was because a demo u12t I experienced had stronger bass but still remained relatively neutral overall. I find that my a12t lack some clarity up top because of how powerful the bass is, so I would want to shift some energy from down low to up top. This somewhat falls in line with my observation of how the a12t sounds differs a little from the u12t sound. Compared to my brief experience with the u12t (demo unit), the bass is thicker on the a12t. As a result, the mids and trebles are a little bit overshadowed. However, I will say all this with the caveat that I have been 80% background listening while I work/exercise and 20% actually critically listening and comparing. I also have not had the chance to mess with EQ yet so who knows.

I know my previous statement on the a12t seems a bit on the negative side, but I think the a12t gets a lot more right than wrong. The dynamic range on this thing is amazing, the detail retrieval is also great (with a question mark about the vocals; I'm not sure why they sound a bit smoothed over, need to listen more and see if it's the bass being too heavy or just how the a12t are). Acoustics/country sounds great on these. Stuff like metal (I don't listen to much) and rock could use a bit more clarity up top.

Well, I've only tried the U12t: the A12t's are expected to come in within the week or so. One thing I loved about the U12t was how good the bass felt, so if the A12t's have more, I'd probably like that even more.

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #9,408 of 23,668
Well, I've only tried the U12t: the A12t's are expected to come in within the week or so. One thing I loved about the U12t was how good the bass felt, so if the A12t's have more, I'd probably like that even more.

The a12t bass is top-tier, quality is right up there with the best I've heard. My issue with the bass is quantity, not quality. Most of my issues with the a12t are tonal, but since I have no problem EQing, that's not a biggie for me; I'll probably try to EQ it to more closely resemble the u12t I demoed. The technical performance of the a12t is impressive, can't find faults there. I think you'll be more than happy with your purchase. 64Audio also had amazing customer service, so I'm more than happy to support their business.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #9,410 of 23,668
Hello hello darkness my old friend
I've come to talk to you once again

Does anyone on here have a 64 custom with solid color shells (black that is), and a clear faceplate?

Playing around in the designer for the new A18s and it looks crazy good on there but I'm not 100% certain if it would be as successful in person

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #9,411 of 23,668

Does anyone on here have a 64 custom with solid color shells (black that is), and a clear faceplate?

Playing around in the designer for the new A18s and it looks crazy good on there but I'm not 100% certain if it would be as successful in person

Well, the previews you see in the designer are true, real-life photos, so that's about as close as you can get to the real thing. :wink:

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #9,412 of 23,668
Well, the previews you see in the designer are true, real-life photos, so that's about as close as you can get to the real thing. :wink:
Wow I did not know that.... hummmm

Considering doing a black solid shell and a clear faceplate or a black solid shell and the zebra pearl... both look so good :D

.... 2 sets of the A18s? :D

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #9,414 of 23,668
When I was considering A18’s I had liked the black with black Zebra shell myself. They looked unique. Make good choices!
The black with the zebra shell does look like a very good option I agree

It’s such a shame that 64 don’t offer white shells though, it would be the design of the century :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #9,416 of 23,668
Considering doing a black solid shell and a clear faceplate or a black solid shell and the zebra pearl... both look so good :D

.... 2 sets of the A18s? :D

Raz-Double

Really like my zebra wood.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #9,418 of 23,668
Mar 10, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #9,420 of 23,668

Why not just go for something boring for once? My A18t design, hopefully I will have in my ears next week. Possibly most boring design they ever had to endure:

Screenshot_20200311-001408_Gmail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back