The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #7,351 of 23,720
Maybe they want to stop reshelling for more competitive manufacturing time. From the time of my impressions being received, my Legend X was delivered 2 days shy of 3 weeks. 64 Audio received my impressions the same day and no communication. I know that reshelling services have to slow down regular production. They probably take more time too. The making of the new shell and installing the components is the same time as building new, but then the time to remove components from the old shell results in more labor hours.

You really just need to follow the money.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #7,352 of 23,720
So basically you’re saying that it’s A-OK for 64 to slack on customer service since they already have an army of bootlicke- ahem, an established customer base? So I suppose if the next TOTL from 64 was out of phase, incoherent (as if the Fourte already isn’t, lol) and tuned like an airplane earbud, that would be fine too because they don’t need to reassure potential buyers anymore? Sounds like a 300IQ business strat to me.

No. I'm saying that the original policy—i.e., "we do ownership transfers"—arose, not from philanthropy, but from self-interest. An upstart custom shop may do things to draw in customers that don't make spectacular business sense.

But now, 64 is ditching its training wheels and going big-time. You find out a lot about people when they hit the big time. Like when Google decided to stop making a big deal out of its famous slogan "Don't Be Evil." Because being evil pays.

So, both policies made sense through the filter of 64 Audio looking out for its own best interests. Only one of the policies makes sense through the filter of a person who bought one of 64's IEMs in the past couple years.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #7,353 of 23,720
No. I'm saying that the original policy—i.e., "we do ownership transfers"—arose, not from philanthropy, but from self-interest. An upstart custom shop may do things to draw in customers that don't make spectacular business sense.

But now, 64 is ditching its training wheels and going big-time. You find out a lot about people when they hit the big time. Like when Google decided to stop making a big deal out of its famous slogan "Don't Be Evil." Because being evil pays.

So, both policies made sense through the filter of 64 Audio looking out for its own best interests. Only one of the policies makes sense through the filter of a person who bought one of 64's IEMs in the past couple years.
I'm failing to understand how "ditching its training wheels and going big-time" translates to anything other than "screwing the customer over because it's more profitable". You want to bring up the Google example, Google is a perfect example of a company that's fond of bending people over. No matter how you spin it, it's going to boil down to customers taking a hit in the name of profit, be it because of a previously profitable policy being phased out or be it because of genuine malicious greed.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #7,354 of 23,720
I'm failing to understand how "ditching its training wheels and going big-time" translates to anything other than "screwing the customer over because it's more profitable". You want to bring up the Google example, Google is a perfect example of a company that's fond of bending people over. No matter how you spin it, it's going to boil down to customers taking a hit in the name of profit, be it because of a previously profitable policy being phased out or be it because of genuine malicious greed.

Some companies make it a point to avoid screwing over their customers as they go through their corporate growing pains. Others do not. Right now, 64 seems to have decided to be in the second camp. They can always change their minds.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #7,355 of 23,720
Some companies make it a point to avoid screwing over their customers as they go through their corporate growing pains. Others do not. Right now, 64 seems to have decided to be in the second camp. They can always change their minds.
We'll just have to wait and see if they do then.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #7,356 of 23,720
As someone who’s not a fan of the original Fourte to start with, the Noir has worse detail, worse bass, strangely veiled mids and worse staging. If you like the Fourte then there’s really no need to get the Noir, it feels like a straight downgrade.
I thought a number of listeners said the Noir had better bass than the Fourte? Do you mean the bass has less impact on the Noir? Tks.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #7,357 of 23,720
I thought a number of listeners said the Noir had better bass than the Fourte? Do you mean the bass has less impact on the Noir? Tks.
Some may percieve it as good because the bass on the Noir has been boosted from the standard Fourte. However, I find that the Noir's boost is primarily midbassy, with not very much subbass focus, and it seems to obscure the midrange as well and partially contribute to what I've been describing as a veil throughout the mids. I pretty much cover it in depth on my review on it but effectively speaking I would consider it an example of a poorly executed bass boost.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #7,358 of 23,720
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #7,359 of 23,720
As someone who’s not a fan of the original Fourte to start with, the Noir has worse detail, worse bass, strangely veiled mids and worse staging. If you like the Fourte then there’s really no need to get the Noir, it feels like a straight downgrade.

Did you forget to include a smiley face somewhere in your reply? :wink: I assume, since you are in SGP, you went to Music Sanctuary (@Kozato ) and tested side by side Fourte and Fourte Noir from the same source, with the same eartips, and playing the same song, at the same volume level to arrive to this conclusion, unless you are just pulling everyone's leg or have a personal beef with 64audio? Because we are talking about two IEMs with identical drivers, the same tubeless design, the same shell design, just a different bass vent. Even someone who attended the last CanJam SoCal took quick FR measurements to compare both and found a lot of resemblance. And besides a few posted reviews (including mine) and multiple dozens of impressions from people who attended CanJams or those who auditioned it at audio46 (NYC) or MS (SGP)...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #7,360 of 23,720
Did you forget to include a smiley face somewhere in your reply? :wink: I assume, since you are in SGP, you went to Music Sanctuary (@Kozato ) and tested side by side Fourte and Fourte Noir from the same source, with the same eartips, and playing the same song, at the same volume level to arrive to this conclusion, unless you are just pulling everyone's leg or have a personal beef with 64audio? Because we are talking about two IEMs with identical drivers, the same tubeless design, the same shell design, just a different bass vent. Even someone who attended the last CanJam SoCal took quick FR measurements to compare both and found a lot of resemblance. And besides a few posted reviews (including mine) and multiple dozens of impressions from people who attended CanJams or those who auditioned it at audio46 (NYC) or MS (SGP), I don't think I came across a single comparison even remotely matching what you said. Sorry, bud, I do strongly believe that we hear things differently and that's normal, but what you described above is so extreme that I have to question it.
I listened to it at E1 personal audio with the same tips, equipment, and both at my disposal for direct comparison. You are free to disagree, but the fact that you're directly questioning my access to equipment or my integrity in my reviews already raises a red flag in regards to things.

In regards to FR measurements, I specifically stated that I was unsure where the veil came from, considering that both measure almost identically, as Crinacle's measurements can prove (this is the exact same unit as the one on his database). I'm well aware that my descriptions do not match objective data, but neither do cables now, do they?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #7,361 of 23,720
How does the Tia Fourte Nior compare with the original Tia Fourte? Worth the upgrade?

There are many impressions in this thread posted in the last month, please search. Also, I covered it in my review here.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #7,362 of 23,720
I listened to it at E1 personal audio with the same tips, equipment, and both at my disposal for direct comparison. You are free to disagree, but the fact that you're directly questioning my access to equipment or my integrity in my reviews already raises a red flag in regards to things.

In regards to FR measurements, I specifically stated that I was unsure where the veil came from, considering that both measure almost identically, as Crinacle's measurements can prove (this is the exact same unit as the one on his database). I'm well aware that my descriptions do not match objective data, but neither do cables now, do they?

Actually, what raises a red flag is that you joined our Head-fi community a few weeks ago, with majority of critical posts in 64audio and Sony iem threads only :D But anyway, we all entitled to our own opinion, I will respect yours, and I'm ok to agree to disagree with you :wink:

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #7,363 of 23,720
Actually, what raises a red flag is that you joined our Head-fi community a few weeks ago, with majority of critical posts in 64audio and Sony iem threads only :D But anyway, we all entitled to our own opinion, I will respect yours, and I'm ok to agree to disagree with you :wink:
Critical comments on 64audio and Sony? Are we going to conveniently ignore that a 64audio and Sony IEM happen to be my 2 highest rated IEMs at the moment? Or are we going to just nitpick at the fact that I dare criticize a company for doing something wrong and not grovel at their feet for review units?

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #7,364 of 23,720
Is this back-and-forth really necessary? :rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back