The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,976 of 23,575
@64Audio When can we expect some new modules? The difference between the 64 audio apex modules M15 and M20 is far greater than any cable I've ever heard. I am much more a fan of this system than cables because the modules are far cheaper than "cheap" upgrade cables. A18t with M15 vs M20 is practically a totally different signature. Incredible value in the ability to switch modules. These are the 3 modules I would like to see most:

1. Mid/vocal-forward module
2. M30 monster bass module
3. Adjustable
Afaik, a mid forward module is possible,
A monster bass would be the solid plugs (no apex)
Last one would be pretty difficult to make

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,977 of 23,575
Afaik, a mid forward module is possible,
A monster bass would be the solid plugs (no apex)
Last one would be pretty difficult to make

Yes difficult without a membrane, but @64Audio is good at pushing the envelope, I think they can do it.

Maybe something exotic like a compressible liquid/gas, aerogel(always wondered how this material behaves with regard to sound since it's other properties are so incredible), etc. Then they could market it as space age too. = P I don't know how you'd do adjustable without a membrane.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,978 of 23,575
As a knee-jerk reaction with considerations from both personal preference and technical performance, I'd probably go:

1) Phantom
2) U18t
3) Legend X
4) Fourte

I almost put the Legend X fourth because of the Fourte's technical performance, but I simply find the Fourte too thin for my preferences (with Final Audio tips and a K-modded WM1A, before anyone asks :wink:).
Why not keep on doing that and ranking „every“ IEM you heard, please? :wink: or, if it’s no problem, do your own shootout hehehehe

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,979 of 23,575
As a knee-jerk reaction with considerations from both personal preference and technical performance, I'd probably go:

1) Phantom
2) U18t
3) Legend X
4) Fourte

I almost put the Legend X fourth because of the Fourte's technical performance, but I simply find the Fourte too thin for my preferences (with Final Audio tips and a K-modded WM1A, before anyone asks :wink:).

wow , is Phantom that good ? I mean Fourte costs twice as much and U18 is like 1200$ more....

impressive.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,980 of 23,575
wow , is Phantom that good ? I mean Fourte costs twice as much and U18 is like 1200$ more....

impressive.

I don’t think price really means as much as we think all four listed headphones are each companies flagship models. It’s also his preference :wink: i’d Take either the U18t or Fourté over my Legend X, but that’s my preference.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,981 of 23,575
I like venturing into the unknown... I love the LX but that has an easy to like signature. I liked the U18t a lot too, but found it a bit lacking in personality.

I can’t wait for the Fourté in custom...but it seems like they have no plans to make it as of now, which is unfortunate.

The problem with making the Fourte in custom form is entirely acoustic. The Fourte's open drivers rely completely on the shell and its dimensions to sound the way it does. And, because no two ears are the same (not even the two attached to our respective heads), it's theoretically impossible to replicate the Fourte's acoustic properties in a custom shell. The only way my non-engineer brain can come up with creating a custom Fourte would be to literally stick a universal Fourte inside a custom shell.

I see you also rank the 18t above the Fourte. = )

Yup! :D The Fourte is excellent at reproducing the tiniest details in a recording in a not-too-artificial manner. But, again, the current production tuning of the Fourte is too lean for my tastes. I heard a richer, bassier, warmer and smoother prototype at CanJam SG 2017 and I much preferred that unit, even though it sacrificed some of its micro-detail retrieval. The U18t is more fun, enjoyable and mid-bass-prominent. I think the Tia Fourte with foam tips would be the best of both worlds, but I've yet to find the right one that'll comply (no pun intended :p) with my hygienic and durability standards.

Why not keep on doing that and ranking „every“ IEM you heard, please? :wink: or, if it’s no problem, do your own shootout hehehehe

I have neither the professional experience, nor the time, nor the willpower to do it. Though, never say never. :wink:

impressive.

Again, that list was made simply based on my preferences counter-balanced against raw performance. Unless you're a 20-year-old audio engineer who works with live music three times a week at a church who enjoys warm, organic and natural tunings as much as bright, ultra-detailed analytical ones with music preferences that range from jazz, to rock, to indie-folk, to pop, to R&B, to orchestral and is less concerned with price-to-performance in this specific instance because almost all of them are too expensive for him to afford anyway... *INHALES*... then maybe you'd have a different opinion. :wink: There's no such thing as better; simply preferred.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,982 of 23,575
@Deezel177 since i have Zeus XR already there is no need for something sparkly like a18(plus at 3K it's too expensive for me anyway) but Phantom - coming from your experienced, non biased opinion - seems even more interesting now than before , especially as a sidegrade to XR (and its sound/tuning)

Legend X is probably too bassy for me , so also it's out of my mind atm

thanx for the honest feedback

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #3,983 of 23,575
@Deezel177 since i have Zeus XR already there is no need for something sparkly like a18(plus at 3K it's too expensive for me anyway) but Phantom - coming from your experienced, non biased opinion - seems even more interesting now than before , especially as a sidegrade to XR (and its sound/tuning)

*cough* *cough* ...N8t... *cough* *cough* :wink:

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,984 of 23,575
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,985 of 23,575
I have NEVER had any fit issue with 64 and even if you do they will take care of you. 64 3d prints from your impression, it's highly unlikely you will have any fit issues plus the single bore tia driver canal makes for a fatter canal by default so you're less likely to have a poor seal. Just be extremely still during the impression, to the point of drooling on yourself, don't move anything at all and follow their document on their website regarding impression taking. If you want a bit more bass and that extra 5% sound quality you get with a custom fit, go for it, you've already spent so much might as well sell that U18t and use the funds to upgrade. Custom in ear monitors are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, coupled with the sound these 64 flagships are putting out, that literally makes them and my Hugo2 my most prized material possessions and I'm not even joking. I tried the faceplate thing with my Abalone faceplates from 64 but if I have to send them back in in the future I'm going to ask to have them removed and replaced with clear faceplates so I can see all the magic inside.

I've noticed that here on headfi customs seem to fall into two distinct camps. The first that having had successful ciems done swear that nothing else compares to the comfort and couldn't go back to universals. The other camp (the one I find myself in unfortunately) is that having customs done is nothing but a pita, but having tried even poorly fitted ones you can't go back to universals either! I wish that universals fitted me better (my right ear canal seems to have a bit of an angle to it that stops the iem going in properly, the left is pretty much straight and either a medium or large tip fits fine), as there are loads that I would love to try but it's just not worth the financial risk. Similarly not being able to get a decent set of customs done means that route is not viable either. I have taken steps by switching audiologists so I'm hoping that that's what the issue is.

Thanks

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,986 of 23,575
Man I love my U18t. It makes me want to go custom and get the A18 but I’m just terrified of getting poor fit and having it be too much hassle. I went that route with the sensaphonic custom sleeves and it was a nightmare.

Try switching audiologists who know about ciems if you have one in the area you live? Get in touch with 64audio as they appear to have recommendations.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #3,987 of 23,575

Don't believe everything you hear about the LX being too "bassy." It's there, it's present, it may have a bit more quantity than you're used to, but the quality of the bass will win you over.

Plus, with extended use (aka burn in lol), everyone says the bass settles a bit.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3,988 of 23,575
Does anyone have any cable suggestions for the Fourte, I'm using the Leonidas now, but I want a cable that adds a bit of warmth for those times I want to soften up the Fourte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back