The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,826 of 23,560
+1

I've also found the A12t the most sensible option, especially since it's my to-go and on-the-go IEM. The 18t is more analytical and precise, but source dependant and occasionally too revealing. If classical or jazz were my main stay, I'd pair it up with a competent DAC and have field day...

As for the Fourte, I find it's signature unnatural and even awkward; and I'd pony up so much money for a universals.The SQ is just not thete when one is on the move.

+1 on the A12t as well. I had the budget for the A18t and it was my original intention to purchase it. Fortunately, I was able to have a 5-6 hour listening sessions comparing the U12t and U18t. I'm not too good at getting really precise in terms of descriptions, but the U18t was like I was in a lab or studio where all my monitoring and devices are all dialed in 100% and I'm getting an analytical/clinical playback (in the best way possible). U12t was like I was sitting on a sofa and a band is playing right in front of me. Both were ah-may-zing, but U12t spoke to me more.

I ended up getting the A12t and a Mojo instead of the A18t (64's 15% discount offer for getting both was certainly enticing). I've been wearing the A12ts 6-10 hours a day (mainly because of work/commute). At home, for the first time since like college, I'm actually sitting and JUST listening to music without doing anything else. Being a musician/audio engineer, the past few months have been a beautiful reawakening of my love for certain bands, productions, music in general.

This is coming from a longtime fan of Etymotic ER4, Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-XC, and more recently (before A12t) Campfire Andromeda and Vega.

I gotta say, the A12t is my first CIEM and 64 Audio did an amazing job with the fit on the first try. They literally vanish after a few minutes. I've fallen asleep with them on and woke up with no radial pressure or pain at all.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,828 of 23,560
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3,830 of 23,560
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #3,831 of 23,560
What was their head-fi name? I’m not trying to interact with this person

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,832 of 23,560
Don't know for sure. As far as I know, they have an address but only the user's head-fi name.

I think there were at least 2 tour sets stolen (tia/u18t and trio/u12t)?

I hope whoever the Losers were they get what's coming to them.  :cop: :scales: :closed_lock_with_key:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,833 of 23,560
Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,834 of 23,560
That makes me so mad, ruining it for the rest of us that just want to demo things.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,835 of 23,560
Something excites me about the prospect of a world class ciem even though i will be using them at home. To recap are these ciem's on par with similar priced headphones? Any thoughts great.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #3,836 of 23,560
Something excites me about the prospect of a world class ciem even though i will be using them at home. To recap are these ciem's on par with similar priced headphones? Any thoughts great.

Are they on par with $3000 headphones, no. IEMs aren’t as good as full sized headphones it is much easier to fit more into a larger package. But they are really really good. Have you heard any TOTL headphones or IEMs? If so what do you like?

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #3,837 of 23,560

to add to that, at least from what I've read, it's much more cost efficient to opt for headphones. but each has their own strengths, for example, headphones with their soundstage, and IEM's with their detail retrieval. iems also come with the convenience of being compact. plus cost of making technology to fit into such a small space.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #3,838 of 23,560

Pretty much what ceeloChamp, Kenneth said here and Ike said 2 pages back.

U18 and Fourte present very large stages and due to their lifted upper treble they appear very airy. Both have a 3D and Holographic stage, but differ in their stage organization. Fourte’s stage is box shaped with equal dimensions on the 3 axes. Where as, the U18 is considerably wider and so is not as deep and tall as the Fourte.

Although these 2 IEMs have very large stages that can come close to SOME full size HPs (nope, not the HD800), where they can’t match the big guys is, the size of the instrument images. On that front, they are still bound by the constraints of physical size differences of the drivers. So the instrument and vocal images sound smaller and compressed on the IEMs, in direct comparison to a full size HP.

Where these IEMs beat the HPs is the perceived detail retrieval. Because most of the high-end HPs are open back, most of the low key details are masked due to lack of isolation, resulting in a reduced level of perceived details. U18 and Fourte being closed-back IEMs, shoot the details right into your ears. But the open back HPs have a more natural sense to their presentation.

Fourte’s DD driver is a beast. Without overpowering the rest of the spectrum, it can move air like that of full size HPs. And does so with plenty of clarity. U18’s bass, although powerful and sufficiently warm, is still a BA type bass.

So altogether, these IEMs offer a different experience from a typical open-back HP. But still enjoyable in their own regards.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #3,839 of 23,560
+1 @EagleWings

If you want a more colored, yet clear, and taller soundstage go with Fourté.

If you have heard the Utopia and are like “I want the widest, most accurate representation of sound with no coloration and plenty of air” go with the A18t.

If none of what I said makes sense to you, go listen to a ton of IEMs before deciding.

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #3,840 of 23,560
i asked earlier but got no answer, anyone pair the u18t with the mojo?any impressions?i dont feel like buying another 1k DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back