The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,376 of 23,720
I don’t know why people are so eager to “upgrade” cables without analyzing the sound first. Listen to many sources and genres. The manufacture spent great deal of time and effort to create its sound signature. Sure, your source affects, but still give it a chance. If eventually the signarture isn’t to your liking, then ask yourself: “What am I missing here?”

More highs? Go silver. But remember, it may turn glaring, even overbearingly so.

The bottom is too thin? Opt for copper. Still, that initial smoothness may end up mawkish.

Just wish to “open” the sound? Choose silver coated copper. You may not detect any difference, especially if the stock cable is SCP.

Be wise. Don’t throw hundreds or thousands of dollars on cables. Remember: TPU loves to turn green…cables don’t last long in general. Look for value.

Finally, an audiophile can easily morph into an audiofool. Look at digital cables. People spend thousands of dollars on cables that merely transmit zeroes and ones, swearing that special silver mined in the mountains of Chile improves the sound so much…lol.

Great points, I don't get digital cables either lol(unless it's an EMI/RF thing). I do love what H2 does do my A18's and I'm still running the stock cable an have been since A18 was released. I am considering a Janus Dynamic though haha.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,377 of 23,720
I don’t know why people are so eager to “upgrade” cables without analyzing the sound first. Listen to many sources and genres. The manufacture spent great deal of time and effort to create its sound signature. Sure, your source affects, but still give it a chance. If eventually the signarture isn’t to your liking, then ask yourself: “What am I missing here?”

More highs? Go silver. But remember, it may turn glaring, even overbearingly so.

The bottom is too thin? Opt for copper. Still, that initial smoothness may end up mawkish.

Just wish to “open” the sound? Choose silver coated copper. You may not detect any difference, especially if the stock cable is SCP.

Be wise. Don’t throw hundreds or thousands of dollars on cables. Remember: TPU loves to turn green…cables don’t last long in general. Look for value.

Finally, an audiophile can easily morph into an audiofool. Look at digital cables. People spend thousands of dollars on cables that merely transmit zeroes and ones, swearing that special silver mined in the mountains of Chile improves the sound so much…lol.

Dude, sorry to bust your nut but usb cables do make a difference. Just like iem cables, you would need to be deaf not to hear the difference.

I do agree with your view on the need to audition iem cables.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,378 of 23,720
Dude, sorry to bust your nut but usb cables do make a difference. Just like iem cables, you would need to be deaf not to hear the difference.

Let’s leave my nuts safely in my pants…

I don’t know your definition for digital cables but mine is AES/EUB and optical TOSLINK. If you can explain how the cable composites can impart a signature on a stream of zeros and ones, I will bow to your infinite wisdom.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #3,379 of 23,720

Not sure if baiting...

Once you understand the mechanisms and differences between "digital" and "analog", you realise almost instantly that there is not reasonable logic that USB cables differ from each other. What's going to happen? The 1s are going to get sharper and the 0s are going to get rounder?

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,380 of 23,720
At this stage, I think the composite of cables doesn’t matter as much. A copper cable can sound like silver cable and vice versa. It’s about the strands, how they process it (like soaking in some type of oil) or even undergo some quantum burning in processes. I think the resistance of cables play a bigger role to the sound which can be altered by above mentioned methods.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #3,382 of 23,720
Not sure if baiting...

Once you understand the mechanisms and differences between "digital" and "analog", you realise almost instantly that there is not reasonable logic that USB cables differ from each other. What's going to happen? The 1s are going to get sharper and the 0s are going to get rounder?

Punchline, my reply was harsh and uncalled for. My apologies.

Crinacle, I understand the logic. The issue is there clearly is a difference when I AB different USB cables in my system, I spent half of today doing exactly this with the Chord Qutest DAC with the Phasure Lush and Luxman USB cables. The Phasure Lush has a relaxed and organic signature, the Luxman is dynamic and bass heavy. Same tracks, same system. The only difference is the USB.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,384 of 23,720
I am considering a Janus Dynamic though haha.

What causes the hype around this cable? I tried scanning the effect audio thread and couldn't find a good answer. What makes you think it'll be good for the tzar?

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,386 of 23,720
At this stage, I think the composite of cables doesn’t matter as much. A copper cable can sound like silver cable and vice versa. It’s about the strands, how they process it (like soaking in some type of oil) or even undergo some quantum burning in processes. I think the resistance of cables play a bigger role to the sound which can be altered by above mentioned methods.
I used to believe that there should not be any difference between different USB cables. So I was shocked when I experienced significant difference in sound by simply changing USB cables. At that time, I was using TA-ZH1ES connected to MacBook Pro. I was using a stock USB cable (USB A <-> B). Then my friend brought an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable to challenge me. Obviously I said there shouldn't be any difference. So my friend put me on a blind A/B test. To my surprise, the difference was night and day. AQ cable delivered much clearer and fuller sound.
I learned that the difference is coming from mainly noise. Nowadays, we live in full of noise sources (e.g. WiFi signal, mobile phone signal, radio signal, computer digital noise, AC power noise, etc.). Better isolation of the digital signal from these noise sources reduces the chance of data transmit errors. For digitized music data, decoders expect some transmission errors. So even if there are some errors, it doesn't stop playing. Simple use some algorithms (similar to interpolation) to "fix" the signal so that music playing is not interrupted. Therefore, if there are lots of errors and noise, the sound you are getting become more and more "artificial" or "corrected with educated guess" that are different from the "intended signal".
The bottom line is that USB cable upgrading is not snake oil.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #3,387 of 23,720
What causes the hype around this cable? I tried scanning the effect audio thread and couldn't find a good answer. What makes you think it'll be good for the tzar?

Reviewers I trust have recommended the pairing, I will of course demo it before buying to be sure. = )

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #3,388 of 23,720
If you feel it makes a difference and u like it then why not? Just bcos u can’t hear the difference it’s not entirely snake oil. Save the money :wink: it’s all in the enjoyment we get from this ‘hobby’ . So what if someone can produce a chart or a graph showing this iem or dac has got the perfect performance? Doesn’t matter at all if I dun like it..

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3,389 of 23,720
If you feel it makes a difference and u like it then why not? Just bcos u can’t hear the difference it’s not entirely snake oil. Save the money :wink: it’s all in the enjoyment we get from this ‘hobby’ . So what if someone can produce a chart or a graph showing this iem or dac has got the perfect performance? Doesn’t matter at all if I dun like it..

That's not the point. I don't really care if someone likes their cables. Or puts stock in tarot readings. Or takes homeopathy treatments.

The point is when the subjective/anecdotal line is crossed. You hear a difference? Sure, good for you. But you thinking that you hear a difference is not proof that there is actually a difference. Again, I couldn't care less what you do with your money or what you believe. I do care when people think that others should accept what they believe in simply because they believe in it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #3,390 of 23,720
That's not the point. I don't really care if someone likes their cables. Or puts stock in tarot readings. Or takes homeopathy treatments.

The point is when the subjective/anecdotal line is crossed. You hear a difference? Sure, good for you. But you thinking that you hear a difference is not proof that there is actually a difference. Again, I couldn't care less what you do with your money or what you believe. I do care when people think that others should accept what they believe in simply because they believe in it.
I agree :wink: it’s all about personal preference.. thankfully nobody is compelling anyone to go buy anything just bcos... it’s just about sharing experience and thots...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back