The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 18, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #20,536 of 23,565
How "universally true" is this? I've had my A18s for quite some time, and on most days they get a few hours of use. I don't have a ton of ear wax, but it's certainly in there. Looking at my CIEMs with a magnifying glass, the screens are still completely clean and you can see right through every single square right to the tia driver (my shells are clear, so plenty of light in there). I was always planning on getting a vacuum, but I honestly just can't see that I'd be removing anything at all. Am I just lucky, or am I missing something here?

Actually, I have a similar question about the desiccants in all of the cases--there just isn't any noticeable moisture when I take my CIEMs out (no sweaty performing with them), and most days I just leave them sitting out and plugged into the Hugo. Is the desiccant just to make sure any moisture in the CIEMs is absorbed when they're locked-up in the case, or should I not being leaving them out in general? Or something else? Just want to make sure I'm taking care of these properly...
As a new owner of an A12t, I'm quite interested in this, as I wish to maintain them as best I can, however I suspect there is quite a large margin of YMMV with both topics.

Like you, I don't seem to generate a lot of earwax, but I do notice a very small amount on the A12t after several hours' use. I've cleaned them with a light alcohol solution applied to a microfibre cloth, and swept them with the brush, but so far there just hasn't been very much to clean. I typically clean all of my universals every week or two, but it's mostly just the tips that accumulate any wax residue, and it's really not very much. But that's me and my ears, other folks may have more wax then me. I'll see how I go with this set, but if I get another CIEM, I'll probably also get a vacuum. My view is that If I'm investing serious coin in multiple CIEMs, why not spend a small fraction more to keep them going for the long haul.

As far as the desiccant, yeah if you are sat at your desk listening with your CIEM, you're probably not sweating much if at all. However, if you are a stage performer, you may be sweating a lot, and in that case the desiccant would be very useful to maintain a valuable tool of the trade. Or, you might live somewhere humid, so again the desiccant would make a difference to you.

The question I have about the desiccant is: how frequently should it be replaced?

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #20,537 of 23,565
As a new owner of an A12t, I'm quite interested in this, as I wish to maintain them as best I can, however I suspect there is quite a large margin of YMMV with both topics.

Like you, I don't seem to generate a lot of earwax, but I do notice a very small amount on the A12t after several hours' use. I've cleaned them with a light alcohol solution applied to a microfibre cloth, and swept them with the brush, but so far there just hasn't been very much to clean. I typically clean all of my universals every week or two, but it's mostly just the tips that accumulate any wax residue, and it's really not very much. But that's me and my ears, other folks may have more wax then me. I'll see how I go with this set, but if I get another CIEM, I'll probably also get a vacuum. My view is that If I'm investing serious coin in multiple CIEMs, why not spend a small fraction more to keep them going for the long haul.

As far as the desiccant, yeah if you are sat at your desk listening with your CIEM, you're probably not sweating much if at all. However, if you are a stage performer, you may be sweating a lot, and in that case the desiccant would be very useful to maintain a valuable tool of the trade. Or, you might live somewhere humid, so again the desiccant would make a difference to you.

The question I have about the desiccant is: how frequently should it be replaced?
If you clean with the brush after use (be careful to brush with the nozzle pointing down), the vacuum is just an extra step. Also, for 64a IEMs that have unremovable metal mash, vacuum is even less useful. As an A121T owner for 4 years now, stick with your cleaning routine. No need for Vacuum.

I bought my IEM Vac just a few months ago and only use it once a month or so. but it is only useful on IEMs that doesn't have mesh.

Jun 18, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #20,539 of 23,565
Get a hearing aid dryer. Once a week (dependent on use & how much moisture you expose your IEMs to) whilst you're sleeeping, done.
another good add to the cleaning process. If in tropical areas, it's even more recommended.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #20,540 of 23,565
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #20,541 of 23,565
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #20,543 of 23,565
Does anyone have the Duos? If so, what are your thoughts?
I think they are a really solid every day carry type of IEM, if you think something at that price can be considered every day carry. They have a really pleasant warm tuning and a fairly spacious and open sound. Isolation though isnt the greatest if thats important to you. Its not terrible, but may not be the best if you use them during a loud commute. Likely not the most ultra detailed compared to other significantly more expensive IEMs, and there are likely better value IEMs to be had since they are still fairly expensive. But I really like my pair and they have at least a semi permanent place in my small collection (no plans to replace them).

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #20,545 of 23,565
Had my new cable made.
1655741101524.png

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #20,546 of 23,565
I think they are a really solid every day carry type of IEM, if you think something at that price can be considered every day carry. They have a really pleasant warm tuning and a fairly spacious and open sound. Isolation though isnt the greatest if thats important to you. Its not terrible, but may not be the best if you use them during a loud commute. Likely not the most ultra detailed compared to other significantly more expensive IEMs, and there are likely better value IEMs to be had since they are still fairly expensive. But I really like my pair and they have at least a semi permanent place in my small collection (no plans to replace them).
Agree here...great EDC IEMs, specially for Office use.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #20,549 of 23,565
still patiently waiting for my u12t to arrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back