The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 18, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #17,762 of 23,720
I really wish I could describe it better than some random word. :/

I believe you’ve had the Fir M5 if I remember correctly? How does the zing compare to that? 😁

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #17,763 of 23,720
I believe you’ve had the Fir M5 if I remember correctly? How does the zing compare to that? 😁

Yes, the M5 had a more natural treble response compared to the Trio. The Trio has a significant amount more air/upper treble in its tuning. I think the Trio is a better IEM overall though, but I’d argue the M5 is a better all rounder.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #17,764 of 23,720
Thanks, I’m very tempted to pluck for the Trio. I guess it’s the “zing” I’m worried about though 🥴

Another consideration is I’ve got a Hugo2 so I'm wondering if that would bring the best out of the lesser resolving Nio perhaps?
I have the Trio and I am also treble sensitive. I found that silicone ear tips makes the treble too much for me to handle. However, pop some foam tips on them and they become a different beast. I find that the foam really tames that zing and turns the Trio into a great sounding IEM. It still has a good treble extension but it has become much more controlled and pleasing to the ear. The two favourite tips I like to use are the Symbio F and the Campfire Audio Marshmallows. You can also alter the sound presentation with some cable rolling. SPC and GPS can give you a lush warm feel, whereas if you want to increase the upper frequencies a bit then you can give silver a try. If you say you can get the Trio for a really good price then why not give it a go.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #17,765 of 23,720
I'll weigh in, in favor of Trio. I blind bought my pair and am glad I did. They've been most enjoyable all-arounders for me. While I don't listen to much metal, I listen to classic rock, prog, classical (mostly symphonic-scale pieces, but some chamber music as well), '50s and '60s acoustic jazz, '70s fusion, some pop, some country.

My theory is I am older than many folks participating in this thread, so I hear Trio's treble as airy, detailed, and sweet (when paired with my A&K DAP). I do not hear the zing many people describe. Perhaps what some hear as elevated treble meshes well with my loss of high frequency sensitivity. As for the bass, Trio has good detail retrieval, rumbles deep and can fill my head with what would be described as room-filling bass if they were speakers.

That said, my friend, who listens to a lot of metal, says the Trio woofer isn't quick enough to keep up with machine drumming. He prefers other IEMs when listening to metal.

Good luck with your search. Oh, a bit of disclosure: I have never heard Nio. But I think Trio is a fine IEM and reproduces lots of different music very well.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #17,766 of 23,720
I have the Trio and I am also treble sensitive. I found that silicone ear tips makes the treble too much for me to handle. However, pop some foam tips on them and they become a different beast. I find that the foam really tames that zing and turns the Trio into a great sounding IEM. It still has a good treble extension but it has become much more controlled and pleasing to the ear. The two favourite tips I like to use are the Symbio F and the Campfire Audio Marshmallows. You can also alter the sound presentation with some cable rolling. SPC and GPS can give you a lush warm feel, whereas if you want to increase the upper frequencies a bit then you can give silver a try. If you say you can get the Trio for a really good price then why not give it a go.
I did limited cable rolling with my Trio when the original cable got damaged. I wasn't happy with all-copper cables, they tamed the treble too much. I didn't like the all-silver cable I had, either. So I ordered a stock cable from 64Audio (silver-plated copper) and have been happy since. For what it's worth.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #17,767 of 23,720
Good to know. Thank you. I do actually have an SPC cable that I could use right away too. I guess you regret the things you don’t do in life! I might sleep on it before I make the decision all the same! Ha

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #17,768 of 23,720
I'll weigh in, in favor of Trio. I blind bought my pair and am glad I did. They've been most enjoyable all-arounders for me. While I don't listen to much metal, I listen to classic rock, prog, classical (mostly symphonic-scale pieces, but some chamber music as well), '50s and '60s acoustic jazz, '70s fusion, some pop, some country.

My theory is I am older than many folks participating in this thread, so I hear Trio's treble as airy, detailed, and sweet (when paired with my A&K DAP). I do not hear the zing many people describe. Perhaps what some hear as elevated treble meshes well with my loss of high frequency sensitivity. As for the bass, Trio has good detail retrieval, rumbles deep and can fill my head with what would be described as room-filling bass if they were speakers.

That said, my friend, who listens to a lot of metal, says the Trio woofer isn't quick enough to keep up with machine drumming. He prefers other IEMs when listening to metal.

Good luck with your search. Oh, a bit of disclosure: I have never heard Nio. But I think Trio is a fine IEM and reproduces lots of different music very well.

Appreciate your input, thanks.

I think I’m relatively sensitive to 6-7k, but tip rolling may help with that (as it has with a similar bump in my VE8).

As for metal, that’s a familiar dilemma with metal heads. DD’s don’t usually cut it for speed, but BA don’t have the necessary punch/timbre/realism to replicate kick drums etc. There’s always a compromise. I’ve owned the final A8000 which has a beryllium DD and was arguable faster than a BA in the bass but the treble was just way too hot. I’m trying to find a middle ground as 95% of metal music probably doesn’t need a driver to be that fast

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #17,769 of 23,720
One of my friend's more amusing comments when he listened to my Trio was they perhaps sounded too good. He said most metal is recorded badly, on purpose, and it should sound that way. Trio made things sound too clean. I don't think I've ever heard that before. :)

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #17,770 of 23,720
Also a trio owner that is usually sensitive to treble. I use the stock foams and have no issue at all with the treble.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #17,773 of 23,720
Hi:) any U18s users here? just wonder what kind of upgrade cable are you using?
Thinking about Plussound PPH/ Electech Aeneid/ Effect Audio Horus Octa to improve the soundstage and the treble more airy and sweet
👋
i use pure silver cables with mine and am very happy with the pairing. Either a Norne 8-wire Silvergarde or a @doctorjuggles 8-wire (23.5awg, 6n, type 6 litz). significant upgrade over the stock cable. Unfortunately I’ve not heard any of the cables you mentioned so can’t compare, but I’m very pleased with the pairing of either pure silver cable and the u18s. Bass is tighter, treble smoother and better extended, stage is wider left-to-right.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #17,775 of 23,720
👋
i use pure silver cables with mine and am very happy with the pairing. Either a Norne 8-wire Silvergarde or a @doctorjuggles 8-wire (23.5awg, 6n, type 6 litz). significant upgrade over the stock cable. Unfortunately I’ve not heard any of the cables you mentioned so can’t compare, but I’m very pleased with the pairing of either pure silver cable and the u18s. Bass is tighter, treble smoother and better extended, stage is wider left-to-right.
i see, thanks for your reply. i'll focus on pure silver cables and try them out. do you have any idea that the different between pure silver cables/ gold plated pure silver cables pairing the u18s:confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back