The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #15,691 of 23,682
Ummm I missed the joke with the wedges what did you mean lol?

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #15,692 of 23,682
Anyone tried custom sleeves/tips with their 64 audios? Im on tip hunting!
+3 for Custom Arts. I received good service from them, but I don't like my custom tips. Apparently I have weirdly shaped canals. They made a "short" pair of tips for me which fit well, but did not seal well and lessened bass response. When I asked, they made a second set of tips, long enough to pass my second bend, even though they didn't think I'd be able to get them properly inserted. Unfortunately they were right. As I said, good service for someone with unfortunate anatomy.

Hmm. But do the 240's fit on u12T's?
The SpinFit 240 is my go-to tip for my Trio.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #15,693 of 23,682
In case anyone missed it

0F1A0F6C-03D5-4B75-8D57-1A868271E778.jpeg

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #15,694 of 23,682
Wedges are those angled speakers many live bands use to monitor on-stage sound. IEMs are a better way of doing this, but there are still many bands who prefer speakers. These are the guys 64 Audio is going after with their CIEMs. In fact 64 Audio is first and foremost a pro audio/live performance company. 'Audiophile/consumer' IEMs is a much smaller side of their business.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #15,695 of 23,682
Basically before CIEMs/IEMs became a thing there were on stage speakers called wedges that played each peformers mix.

Jerry Harvey talks about this in depth if you listen to his talks.

Lol so true. I can't believe they're still beating that old drum. It's 2021, not 2011. But maybe there's a vast untapped live music market still using wedges, who knows?
Yeah I figured wedges were essentially dead in this day and age, maybe they're have a revival.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #15,697 of 23,682
JH and 64 have some sordid history together...
Yeah,the thing that should not be mentioned. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think wedges though.

Plz don't banhammer me 64, I'm still the number 2 shill of your brannnnnnnnnd

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #15,698 of 23,682
JH and 64 have some sordid history together...
Yeah,the thing that should not be mentioned. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think wedges though.

Plz don't banhammer me 64, I'm still the number 2 shill of your brannnnnnnnnd

Welll I had a chance to hear a monitoring speaker setup it was by no mean the best but still what I heard made me go oh wow speakers can do that?

And I also would say custom iems and speakers for monitoring are 2 different worlds. Dont think one is a better way then the other...
Creators will always chose the most appropriate way to do it or just their preferences

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #15,699 of 23,682
Welll I had a chance to hear a monitoring speaker setup it was by no mean the best but still what I heard made me go oh wow speakers can do that?

And I also would say custom iems and speakers for monitoring are 2 different worlds. Dont think one is a better way then the other...
Creators will always chose the most appropriate way to do it or just their preferences
Never heard those before so no comment.

I don't think it's so much an appropriate way or preference but more: do you want to have any hearing left.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #15,700 of 23,682
It looks like a cheaper version with the textured surface (IMO), a planar?? With the open back and custom TIA.

'Missed the stream 'cus I had to wake up for church in a couple hours, but cool stuff! Based purely on looks, the leftmost one does say "planar" to me, but that goes completely out the window if word of new driver tech is true. I can't really speculate much about the middle one, other than that it looks custom-esque. Perhaps, that's the TWS one y'all have been talking about. I absolutely love the design of the rightmost one. Turning the faceplate into a texture not unlike Fractal Design's Meshify C front panel, then shifting the 64 logo onto the apex module is genius! 'Lovely stuff as always, and I can't wait to hear more about them.

Meanwhile, I myself may have a pretty in-depth review of their most recent custom flagship coming very, very soon. :wink:

Lol so true. I can't believe they're still beating that old drum. It's 2021, not 2011. But maybe there's a vast untapped live music market still using wedges, who knows?

My church band is mainly comprised of more senior members who prefer working with wedges, as much as I've tried my best to influence them otherwise. It was a nightmare handling feedback back when I was a monitor engineer. And now, at front-of-house, I gotta deal with all the bleed going into the overhead mics, vocal mics, etc. The only members with in-ears would be the vocalists, because of all the sheer noise on stage, and the drummer (who's my dad), partly because he can talk to me about IEMs all the time. :D On the bright side, the pandemic has necessitated that all band members stand or sit within these acrylic dividers. Apart from separating them from each other, it's also turned out to be an excellent form of passive isolation, which I'd gladly, gladly have, even after all this is over.

Monitoring is unlike listening where, at least in most areas, one is most definitely better than the other. The number one benefit to IEMs would be hearing protection. Wedges basically require you to pump everything up to ear-shattering volumes just for everyone to be able to hear each other. I personally can't stand being in the middle of my church's stage for more than 15-20 seconds at a time. Another benefit I talked about above would be feedback. There wouldn't be any feedback loops caused by someone's wedge feeding back into their microphone, which typically occurs with the guitarist, sax player or bassist at my church. And, the one I prioritise most is bleed. Sound from those wedges are picked up by the drummer's overhead mics, the vocal mics, the guitar mics, etc., and it's extremely detrimental to the cleanliness of the final track. What I'm personally aiming for is something like the drum-only tracks from these Zildjian Live recordings:

I've personally, not-so-subtly complained about it quite a bit, but it looks like I've got a bit more chipping-away to do 'til I can get them to break and invest in some in-ears. :D

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #15,701 of 23,682
Wedges are those angled speakers many live bands use to monitor on-stage sound. IEMs are a better way of doing this, but there are still many bands who prefer speakers. These are the guys 64 Audio is going after with their CIEMs. In fact 64 Audio is first and foremost a pro audio/live performance company. 'Audiophile/consumer' IEMs is a much smaller side of their business.
I can't perform properly with Wedges.
When I used to do live drumming, it was ridiculously hard to hear myself on a big outdoor stage. I honestly don't know why they still go for it. I mean I know some performers like to hear the live crowd but there's already so much tech now that the sound engineer can push the crowd feed on to your IEMs. Saves your ear from more damage.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #15,702 of 23,682
'Missed the stream 'cus I had to wake up for church in a couple hours, but cool stuff! Based purely on looks, the leftmost one does say "planar" to me, but that goes completely out the window if word of new driver tech is true. I can't really speculate much about the middle one, other than that it looks custom-esque. Perhaps, that's the TWS one y'all have been talking about. I absolutely love the design of the rightmost one. Turning the faceplate into a texture not unlike Fractal Design's Meshify C front panel, then shifting the 64 logo onto the apex module is genius! 'Lovely stuff as always, and I can't wait to hear more about them.

Meanwhile, I myself may have a pretty in-depth review of their most recent custom flagship coming very, very soon. :wink:

My church band is mainly comprised of more senior members who prefer working with wedges, as much as I've tried my best to influence them otherwise. It was a nightmare handling feedback back when I was a monitor engineer. And now, at front-of-house, I gotta deal with all the bleed going into the overhead mics, vocal mics, etc. The only members with in-ears would be the vocalists, because of all the sheer noise on stage, and the drummer (who's my dad), partly because he can talk to me about IEMs all the time. :D On the bright side, the pandemic has necessitated that all band members stand or sit within these acrylic dividers. Apart from separating them from each other, it's also turned out to be an excellent form of passive isolation, which I'd gladly, gladly have, even after all this is over.

Monitoring is unlike listening where, at least in most areas, one is most definitely better than the other. The number one benefit to IEMs would be hearing protection. Wedges basically require you to pump everything up to ear-shattering volumes just for everyone to be able to hear each other. I personally can't stand being in the middle of my church's stage for more than 15-20 seconds at a time. Another benefit I talked about above would be feedback. There wouldn't be any feedback loops caused by someone's wedge feeding back into their microphone, which typically occurs with the guitarist, sax player or bassist at my church. And, the one I prioritise most is bleed. Sound from those wedges are picked up by the drummer's overhead mics, the vocal mics, the guitar mics, etc., and it's extremely detrimental to the cleanliness of the final track. What I'm personally aiming for is something like the drum-only tracks from these Zildjian Live recordings:

I've personally, not-so-subtly complained about it quite a bit, but it looks like I've got a bit more chipping-away to do 'til I can get them to break and invest in some in-ears. :D
I can't perform properly with Wedges.
When I used to do live drumming, it was ridiculously hard to hear myself on a big outdoor stage. I honestly don't know why they still go for it. I mean I know some performers like to hear the live crowd but there's already so much tech now that the sound engineer can push the crowd feed on to your IEMs. Saves your ear from more damage.
I've never had to deal with wedges, so those are interesting insights into that side of things. One of the other reasons I went for customs was isolation as well. I've probably dropped the volume on a lot of things to half the previous volume as a side effect.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #15,703 of 23,682
I think the open back is going to be planar. Kennerton is rumored to release a planar IEM so who knows? 64 Audio might also be doing that. If it’s true, I’d be very interested in how well 64 Audio implements the technology in IEM form. To this date, in IEM world, I haven’t heard a better bass than LCDi4’s planar bass. No DD IEM that I’ve heard can achieve that same character, texture, visceral impact and dynamics of a planar driver.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #15,704 of 23,682
I think the open back is going to be planar. Kennerton is rumored to release a planar IEM so who knows? 64 Audio might also be doing that. If it’s true, I’d be very interested in how well 64 Audio implements the technology in IEM form. To this date, in IEM world, I haven’t heard a better bass than LCDi4’s planar bass. No DD IEM that I’ve heard can achieve that same character, texture, visceral impact and dynamics of a planar driver.
I’ve only heard one planar driver (Abyss Diana Phi) and I absolutely love the bass quality on it too. Really hoping this will end up being a planar IEM. I’m sure 64 will nail it given their track record of delivering excellent bass from their lineup. Exciting times!

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #15,705 of 23,682
I’ve only heard one planar driver (Abyss Diana Phi) and I absolutely love the bass quality on it too. Really hoping this will end up being a planar IEM. I’m sure 64 will nail it given their track record of delivering excellent bass from their lineup. Exciting times!
The only certainty at this time is that wallets will be emptied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back