The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #15,631 of 23,556
Finally got my U12T with UPS today! Im out of words! Talk about an outstanding upgrade from IE800! They feel like they disappear in my ear and i my hyperacusis doesnt get triggered at all :) The details and tonality are just mindblowing!

64 Audio, im a fan now! Took me ALOT of time to save up, but totally worth it!=)
Congrats and welcome to the club. I still recommend everyone spend some time mired in mid-fi Hell just to get a better understanding of the shortcomings of hype, and after that stop wasting time and money and go straight to the top.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #15,632 of 23,556
Congrats and welcome to the club. I still recommend everyone spend some time mired in mid-fi Hell just to get a better understanding of the shortcomings of hype, and after that stop wasting time and money and go straight to the top.
It’s just hard to understand what’s good in mid-fi before you experience those top iems.
So better demo those great stuff even if you are just looking for mid-fi.:L3000:

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #15,633 of 23,556
When everything punches above its price point, nothing does *evil villain laugh*

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #15,634 of 23,556
When everything punches above its price point, nothing does *evil villain laugh*
Very true. I also find that you don't know what you don't know until you know, you know? So once you've heard the best, it's very difficult to drop down a tier. Rather not demo what you're not willing to buy, unless you have far more willpower than me!

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #15,635 of 23,556
Very true. I also find that you don't know what you don't know until you know, you know? So once you've heard the best, it's very difficult to drop down a tier. Rather not demo what you're not willing to buy, unless you have far more willpower than me!

Still saving up for that U12T. Or perhaps A12T?

Mid-Fi hell is real.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #15,636 of 23,556
Rather not demo what you're not willing to buy, unless you have far more willpower than me!
After experiencing travel by flight, I don't mind cars or bikes even though they are worse in speed aspect. They excel in other areas. Likewise, expensive wines or whiskey did not put me off drinking generic beer, which is also greatly enjoyable despite being vastly cheaper. There is always something to enjoy in products of lesser tier and it's entirely possible to find relative perfection somewhere along the way up, climbing Mount TOTL. One just have to find a good audio Sherpa :)

After trying a few summit-fi IEMs allowed me to understand my tastes, hearing limits. What matters and what does not. It's relatively easy to start an expensive circlejerk and claim superiority, but I feel that what sometimes looks like assembling the perfect football team (an effort that would require best players for top amounts of money) should rather be approached like finding a (best) friend. Someone who suits our needs, not without flaws, not the best universally there ever was.

Off I go, back to listening my bff EDC. My other, more perfect and expensive friend will have to wait a little bit for my dap upgrade :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #15,637 of 23,556
After experiencing travel by flight, I don't mind cars or bikes even though they are worse in speed aspect. They excel in other areas. Likewise, expensive wines or whiskey did not put me off drinking generic beer, which is also greatly enjoyable despite being vastly cheaper. There is always something to enjoy in products of lesser tier and it's entirely possible to find relative perfection somewhere along the way up, climbing Mount TOTL. One just have to find a good audio Sherpa :)

After trying a few summit-fi IEMs allowed me to understand my tastes, hearing limits. What matters and what does not. It's relatively easy to start an expensive circlejerk and claim superiority, but I feel that what sometimes looks like assembling the perfect football team (an effort that would require best players for top amounts of money) should rather be approached like finding a (best) friend. Someone who suits our needs, not without flaws, not the best universally there ever was.

Off I go, back to listening my bff EDC. My other, more perfect and expensive friend will have to wait a little bit for my dap upgrade :)
Great advice, sadly rarely followed. Unlike your planes, trains and automobiles analogy, there's just something about IEMs and quality sound that's ludicrously addictive and utterly inescapable. With expensive cars, for example, you can enjoy a ride in a Ferrari knowing you'll never be able to buy one, but if you hear a TOTL IEM that nails your preferences, it's *relatively* much more attainable than a supercar. And so the mission becomes to get to that point, or that IEM, sooner rather than later. If the hobby was just about finding a good enough IEM to enjoy music with, there's no real point trying anything else once you're there. Not for me anyway.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #15,638 of 23,556
Great advice, sadly rarely followed. Unlike your planes, trains and automobiles analogy, there's just something about IEMs and quality sound that's ludicrously addictive and utterly inescapable.
I agree! With one small exception. Cars still haven't achieved flight capabilities or other advantages I value in planes. On the other hand, what was the pinnacle of top sound quality not that long ago, can be found in mid-priced IEMs of today. Is the Monarch the best sq right now? Of course not. But a few years back, it would be right there at the top. It astonishes me what is attainable today at all price points, since not that long ago all we had was some Sennheisers and random buds and that was basically it in terms of choice.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #15,639 of 23,556
We've traditionally offer a very short silicone ear tip with our universal IEMs, this is specifically to keep the "canal" length as true to the form of the IEM as possible. As soon as you extend the length of the canal, with the ear tip, it changes the frequency response from the intended response; it's kind of like adding a horn for the high frequencies. We also offer our True Fidelity foam tips which are a much softer foam so the extension of the canal is mitigated with the softer material making it less destructive to the intended curve.

Thanks for the information! You mention that the TrueFidelity tips are less destructive. However, would you say using the stock silicone would be the best match for the intended frequency response? Could another silicone tip that does not extend the canal do the same, or close?

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #15,640 of 23,556
Thanks for the information! You mention that the TrueFidelity tips are less destructive. However, would you say using the stock silicone would be the best match for the intended frequency response? Could another silicone tip that does not extend the canal do the same, or close?
Both the foam and silicone tips that come with the IEMs are chosen because of their closeness to the intended sound, in certain testing environments we use the silicon tips rather than the foam tips for consistency. Theoretically other silicone tips could offer a true sound as well, we're always on the look out.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #15,641 of 23,556
Both the foam and silicone tips that come with the IEMs are chosen because of their closeness to the intended sound, in certain testing environments we use the silicon tips rather than the foam tips for consistency. Theoretically other silicone tips could offer a true sound as well, we're always on the look out.
Thanks for the great information. Again! Ha! You all are absolutely great to deal with. I love the stock silicone, but maybe my ear anatomy is abnormal. I have average size ear canals, but for some reason the large stock silicone tips fall out pretty easily. I love their sound signature and size, I was just thinking a slightly stiffer silicone would help. Hopefully.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #15,642 of 23,556
Hey. Experimenting with tips on my U12T. The nozzle sre supposed to be as close to the end of the tip as possible?

JVC Spiral Dots ++ are one of my faves' tips. Reas that some recommend them strongly to U12T and that they stay secure. I cant get it to stay secure at all. Tips on both sides is getting stuck in my ear every time. Any tips??

Also: i got physical molds off my ears. Originally i was planning to go custom IEMs but found out itvwaskt smart doing that completely "blind".

Therefore: Have anyone tried Snugs or other custom tips on their universal 64's or U12T's? That would be really interesting:)

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #15,643 of 23,556
Hey. Experimenting with tips on my U12T. The nozzle sre supposed to be as close to the end of the tip as possible?

JVC Spiral Dots ++ are one of my faves' tips. Reas that some recommend them strongly to U12T and that they stay secure. I cant get it to stay secure at all. Tips on both sides is getting stuck in my ear every time. Any tips??

Also: i got physical molds off my ears. Originally i was planning to go custom IEMs but found out itvwaskt smart doing that completely "blind".

Therefore: Have anyone tried Snugs or other custom tips on their universal 64's or U12T's? That would be really interesting:)
F.ex these (they are for U12T) : https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips?variant=19638354477125

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #15,644 of 23,556

Ah, welcome to the tips left behind club. Now you've truly joined the 64 Audio family! 😄

If you search this thread you'll find a few opinions and solutions. One thing that works with Spiral Dots (my favourite tips too) is going one size down. If they jam in your ears, that's where they'll stay. Another solution is taking the shaft spacers that come with SpinFits, putting those over the U12t nozzles, and then squeezing the Spiral Dot tips over them. That way they hold tight, and you can also slide them slightly down so that a row of dots show, like they should.

Third suggestion is to change tips. The only other tips I'd personally suggest are Sedna EarFit. Get the EarFit short so you can get the nozzle close to the tip, like 64 Audio suggests, or get the regular EarFit and have a 1mm gap between tip and nozzle (better for avoiding wax going straight into the mesh).

Good luck!

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #15,645 of 23,556
Ah, welcome to the tips left behind club. Now you've truly joined the 64 Audio family! 😄

If you search this thread you'll find a few opinions and solutions. One thing that works with Spiral Dots (my favourite tips too) is going one size down. If they jam in your ears, that's where they'll stay. Another solution is taking the shaft spacers that come with SpinFits, putting those over the U12t nozzles, and then squeezing the Spiral Dot tips over them. That way they hold tight, and you can also slide them slightly down so that a row of dots show, like they should.

Third suggestion is to change tips. The only other tips I'd personally suggest are Sedna EarFit. Get the EarFit short so you can get the nozzle close to the tip, like 64 Audio suggests, or get the regular EarFit and have a 1mm gap between tip and nozzle (better for avoiding wax going straight into the mesh).

Good luck!
Which Spinfits do these spacers come with? I guess I could find something similar at a hardware store, but you know... lockdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back