The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 26, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #2,341 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lossy compression from the sensor and lossless from the sensor are very unlike audio where we really say we can hear a difference and most cannot. raw and jpeg offer from a distance still, very visually different images. often the jpeg looks a bit more vibrant though as it loses tones in compression and retains the most bright ones only.

raw however has all the dark details that jpeg throws away and fine lines of colour that hide between every shade. it is quite stunning actually. but i shoot jpeg mostly.

Is there a quality difference between RAW and JPEG? Some, but it gets smaller and smaller with each generation of cameras. I can't tell much of a difference unless I'm intentionally underexposing with my D50. At the end of the day, the fact that I don't have to spend 1-15 minutes on each and every shot I take is more than worth the tiny difference RAW gives. I shoot JPEG exclusively unless I know I absolutely need the full dynamic range.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #2,342 of 5,895
In instances where image quality is paramount, I wouldn't go back to using JPEG. RAW just provides so much more leeway to massage the image just the way I want it, rather than relying on the camera's best guess. I only use RAW in instances where image quality is secondary to just getting the shot, and I'd have a lot of shots to process (like at a headphone meet, for instance).

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #2,345 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shoot JPEG exclusively unless I know I absolutely need the full dynamic range.

On the current generation of Nikon cameras, the Adaptive Dynamic Range feature isn't available in RAW format... only jpeg. From the rave reviews on how this feature works I've read, it seems to be a good reason to shoot JPEG instead of RAW.

See ya
Steve

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #2,346 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering whether this is a good offer. This set includes the SB-600 flash, a diffuser and battery charger and 4 x AA rechargeable batteries.
NKSB600AFKA Nikon SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight USA Warranty, - Basic Outfit with 4 NiMH Batteries, Charger, Flashpoint Flash Diffuser

Anyone got experience ordering from Adorama abroad?

Looks like a decent deal. You might want to compare the after shipping price since you're outside the US.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2,348 of 5,895
Quick question about film Nikon SLR guys, you know if I want to just test a lens with a film SLR (to see if the lens is broken or not), can I just attach it to a film SLR and operate the lens (the AF) without a film inserted in the camera (blank)?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #2,351 of 5,895
Well, I've finally bit the bullet. I found a buyer for my 18-70 AF-S; I expect my 70-210 f/4 to sell pretty soon, and I plan on using the proceeds towards snatching up one of the 18-200VRs that seem to be flooding the market dirt-cheap right now as people move to FX. Combine that with my Tokina 12-24 and I should be set for a long, long time. The reduced lens switching alone will make it worth it to me.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #2,354 of 5,895
Thanks for the replys seems like Adorama is a good vendor. Anyone have experience with diffusers are there any noticeable differences between the brands? I mean it is just a piece of plastic but the price difference between the Flashpoint and some of the others are massive.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #2,355 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replys seems like Adorama is a good vendor. Anyone have experience with diffusers are there any noticeable differences between the brands? I mean it is just a piece of plastic but the price difference between the Flashpoint and some of the others are massive.

The only real difference comes in it's size. Bigger is better here. The ones that are like caps don't really make much of a difference since it's not much larger than the flash head to begin with.

So I recommend you skip that Flashpoint one or anything that is of that style and get something bigger. There are some Lumiquest bounce ones but I use the Westcott Micro Apollo softbox in situations I need to shoot forward and use nothing or a big piece of paper while bounce while shooting up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back