The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2,356 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've finally bit the bullet. I found a buyer for my 18-70 AF-S; I expect my 70-210 f/4 to sell pretty soon, and I plan on using the proceeds towards snatching up one of the 18-200VRs that seem to be flooding the market dirt-cheap right now as people move to FX. Combine that with my Tokina 12-24 and I should be set for a long, long time. The reduced lens switching alone will make it worth it to me.

I'd suggest adding one more lens... The 18-50 VR kit lens. That would give you a middle range zoom that is much lighter and smaller than either of your other lenses. You should be able to pick up a refurb for about $120. Well worth it. The 18-50 is optically as good as the 18-70.

Even if I was going FF, which I have no reason to for many years, I would still keep the 18-200 VR. There's nothing for FF that compares to it. The people dumping it for cheap are sheep. Fleece 'em!

See ya
Steve

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2,357 of 5,895
I don't really see the point, to be honest. If I was using a 17-55 f/2.8 as my primary lens, sure, I could see the benefit of having a lighter walk-around lens, but the 18-200's compact and light enough to do anything as far as I'm concerned with what I've seen of it when messing around. When not zoomed it's not much bigger than my 18-70 was and it weighs about the same as my 12-24, which feels like a perfect walkaround lens - well-balanced on my camera. I've owned an 18-55 (non-VR) in the past, and to be honest it felt like a toy in my hands. I sold it in favor of the 18-70 because I much preferred the feel of the larger and more massive lens.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #2,358 of 5,895
Well, the 18-70 feels like a toy compared to the 18-200VR
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2,359 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only real difference comes in it's size. Bigger is better here. The ones that are like caps don't really make much of a difference since it's not much larger than the flash head to begin with.

So I recommend you skip that Flashpoint one or anything that is of that style and get something bigger. There are some Lumiquest bounce ones but I use the Westcott Micro Apollo softbox in situations I need to shoot forward and use nothing or a big piece of paper while bounce while shooting up.

Thanks Ian, invalueable info! Definitely going to get the Westcott micro instead for the SB-600.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #2,360 of 5,895
I've learned that there are no good or bad lenses. There are just lenses that fit the purpose and those that don't. With my lens kit, the trick has been to put together a variety of lenses that cover the whole spectrum of what I need. The 18-200 VR is a good base to build on, because it's so versatile. But it's heavy for hiking with and it isn't unobtrusive for candids, so I added the little 18-55 VR. For the ultra wide range below 18mm, I got a Tokina 11-17. For low light candid portraits, I got the Sigma 50 1.4 and for formal portraits (and macro) the Tokina 100mm. The only thing I need now is a fast normal prime. I'm looking at the Sigma 30 1.4. I don't have a good sports tele, but I can't afford a good sports tele. Whichever lens you start with will dictate the other lenses you need. It's all a balancing act.

See ya
Steve

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #2,361 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've learned that there are no good or bad lenses.

You should have seen the lens on the camera phone I borrowed for a few days. That was a bad lens! The slightest contrast and the thing would flare up like nobodies business!

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #2,364 of 5,895
Yow! Don't stare into that picture too long! You'll go blind! It looks like a nuclear blast going off. BBQ ducks!

See ya
Steve

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #2,366 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey...
It's this time of the day again ! Posting amazing pictures taken with Nikon time!
biggrin.gif

Nikon D80 + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Let me take a guess, Watson Bay isn't it?

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #2,367 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have seen the lens on the camera phone I borrowed for a few days. That was a bad lens! The slightest contrast and the thing would flare up like nobodies business!

iPhone Patch Panorama Flickr Set

See ya
Steve

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #2,368 of 5,895
That is impressive.

Ehh... what do you know. I am very likely to get my first taste of scam
frown.gif
I sold a 70-300mm VR on eBay not too long ago, sent it and then only today received an email from Paypal telling me the source of payment was unauthorised. I'm a lens and $600+ down. *sigh* I've read through all the T&Cs and I doubt Paypal will cover me. Please keep me in your prayers/cross your fingers, etc... I want this to be a happy ending.

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2,369 of 5,895

Users who are viewing this thread

Back