The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 2, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #2,371 of 5,895
i feel compelled to share a picture too.
biggrin.gif
shot with D300 and 50mm 1.8 during a typhoon in taiwan a few weeks ago. i'm thankful for the weather sealing as the camera did get a bit wet.

dsc19900ku1.jpg

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #2,372 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me take a guess, Watson Bay isn't it?

On a ferry from Manly going to Circular Quay. There was one beautiful, beautiful sunset over the bridge , but I couldn't take the picture because so many people in front of me and my lens was that wide angle one. Wayyyyy too wide to take the picture.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #2,375 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am leaving the Canon camp to join you Nikonians. Please welcome me to your fold.
beerchug.gif

Switching sides is always a big to-do, especially if you developed quite the collection of lenses for the previous kit.

So what prompted you to change? I'm always curious!

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #2,376 of 5,895
Jude, this is the 3rd camera in a short time. I'm not understanding this. Regardless of which cam, you were taking good photos on each.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #2,377 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude, this is the 3rd camera in a short time. I'm not understanding this. Regardless of which cam, you were taking good photos on each.

You're being kind, lan, as I'm in need of much learning still (which I'm reminded about every day with many of the fantastic photos I see others posting here).

To answer your question (and Towert7's question), I originally wanted to go with a D300, but chose to go with a budget Canon (Rebel XSi) option to start, for reasons of budget, and because I wasn't sure how interested I'd be in photography (yeah, right, I've learned how that tends to go). I then went to the 40D, and I've enjoyed that camera immensely. But the memory of using a friend's D300 kept my neck craning toward Nikon. So, before the investment in Canon got any deeper, I made the switch, going to the D300.

I've got the body, I've got a (very) versatile lens, and I'll add a few more pieces as the rest of the Canon stuff sells off.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2,378 of 5,895
I see. Well that's cool. If it makes it more fun to take pictures, that'll be a big help!

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #2,379 of 5,895
being comfortable with and enjoyment of a camera is pretty important. i've tried rebels and even used a 5D for a few weeks but in the end, i still preferred the feel of a nikon. they've always felt better in my hands and ergonomically makes more sense.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #2,381 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guys, let's take a pool on how long will Jude get his D700, I'll say 3 weeks
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, man, that's well out of my camera budget--the jump to FX is a pretty big one on the price continuum. And, besides, I'm feelin' plenty of love for this new baby like I'd not felt for my previous two Canons. Here she is, by the way, in one of the last photos taken with my 40D before she found another home:

2906606263_8aacaf2fe9.jpg

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2,382 of 5,895
Quote:

No, man, that's well out of my camera budget--the jump to FX is a pretty big one on the price continuum. And, besides, I'm feelin' plenty of love for this new baby like I'd not felt for my previous two Canons. Here she is, by the way, in one of the last photos taken with my 40D before she found another home:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/...8aacaf2fe9.jpg

Grats Jude!

I think the next thing you need to buy is a strap.
wink.gif

Unless you like being a billboard for Nikon lol

I hate the bright yellow on my strap and am trying to decide what to buy to replace it. The single camera store in my smallish town didn't have many options, so I'm gonna have to order online. Of course, that provides too many options, so now I'm having trouble deciding which one to get :p

Anyone have a suggestion? What straps do you all use?

Edit: I have another question regarding macro lenses. I like taking shots of bugs and flowers and such. Can anyone recommend a midrange (pricewise) macro lens? I'd really like to get something that will go beyond 1:1.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #2,383 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate the bright yellow on my strap and am trying to decide what to buy to replace it. The single camera store in my smallish town didn't have many options, so I'm gonna have to order online. Of course, that provides too many options, so now I'm having trouble deciding which one to get :p

I dislike those stock yellow and red straps from Nikon and Canon also. I prefer my straps elastic for comfort. So something like this, Tamrac | N-5057 Neoprene Boomerang Strap (Black) | N505701 | B&H

I like quick release on the straps also because I sometimes move the camera on a bracket or monopod or want to use something else and I prefer not to deal with the long strap still attached. I sometimes even attach the strap on my backpack shoulder strap and have one camera hang out there while I use another camera.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2,384 of 5,895
Quote:

2906606263_8aacaf2fe9.jpg

Very impressive. The 24-70 has to be one of the most incredible lenses Nikon makes. The focus speed is incredible and the build quality is stunning too. It's sharp and produces contrasty colours. The only downside I can think of is its size (especially with the massive hood) and weight. I'm glad you've decided to switch over
tongue.gif

Personally speaking, the 24-70 isn't quite wide enough. I'm more inclined to get the 17-55 which admittedly isn't as good. I'm saving up for the 17-55. Hopefully by next year, I'll have a 70-200VR too
evil_smiley.gif
Wait... my 21st is coming soon. Maybe I can strike a deal with my parents?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back