The next step from KSC-75: Denon D1000, Equation RP-21, or Goldring DR150?
Jul 13, 2007 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

killer_deep

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I love my KSC-75's VERY much, but I'd like full-size headphones for more comfortable listening at home, and I wouldn't mind taking the next step up in terms of quality, while keeping the same basic sound signature. I had Alessandro MS-1's for a period and liked them a lot, but couldn't distinguish them very much from the KSC-75's, so I got rid of them (there's a thread about it somewhere). At any rate, I'm pretty sure I like the Grado sound signature.

So, in terms of going to the next step, which of the Denon D1000, Equation RP-21 or Goldring DR150 would you choose, in keeping with the best-sound-for-the-money philosophy for a poor graduate student, with comfort in mind?

My sound source is a laptop with the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro, and I wouldn't be averse to getting a value amp if necessary (<$100).

Thanks for your suggestions
S

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 27
You might want to consider the Grado SR60's as well. They're easily driven without an amp, and the KSC75s have been likened to them -- although the SR60's for some people are more "harsh."

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 27
Anyone else with comments? I know that the KSC-75 is an epically popular headphone among *everyone* on here, and that these three headphones are among the hottest in the around-$100 budget. There's got to be more to say about 'em.

S

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 27
Koss A/250's?

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 27
Definitely DR150's. KSC75's were my 1st real headphones and I bought the SR-60's but it lacked soundstage and bass which the ksc's had more of. I then got the DR150's and they sound like a more refined and fuller sounding KSC75's. Dr150's have much more refined bass and the soundstage is very good.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 27
Definitely the DR150. A KSC75 with finer details, a better controlled and hard hitting bass and more soundstage. Or if you want to put it in a different way, MS1+soundstage and bass. I prefer the Goldring over the RP21 by quite some margin.

The RP21 IMO sounds quite impressive for a closed headphone at that price but sounds different from the KSC75. Not to mention they are closed so you lose that airy sound of the Koss.

Not familiar with the Denons but I've read very good things about them..

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 27
Right. I can't vote in good conscience since I've only heard the RP-21 out of those three. I moved from a KSC75 up to these and I am very happy with them, but they are closed and sound closed. Might recommend DR150 to people seeking an upgrade to the KSC75, though I have only read about them and not (yet) heard them.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 27
Nope; I couldn't vote either I'm afraid.

But I am happy with the similarities of the MS-1 and the KSC-75! It could certainly be another one to take a close look at!

.....oops: I see you already did.
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 27
Skylab will have a review of the RP-21 and D1000, if you can wait. From there you can compare relativities to the DR150, first hand experiences only (meaning real reviews).

Personally, I would just buy all 3, find the one you like and sell the others or buy from places with a good return policy that allows you to test and pay a bit more.

Like previously stated, the winner of your poll will be the "team" that posts the most.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like previously stated, the winner of your poll will be the "team" that posts the most.

Yup; patience is quite important.

I'd take the top two best guesses and "team" up with the search key and go and have some fun!

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 27
If you like the open air sound of the KSC 75 you may not like the sound of closed cans as an "upgrade".

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RP21 IMO sounds quite impressive for a closed headphone at that price but sounds different from the KSC75. Not to mention they are closed so you lose that airy sound of the Koss.

hmm have you actually even heard the rp-21? In my opinion it is quite airy.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 27
Yes I did own them several weeks ago. Yes, it sounded airy compared to other closed cans, but less so than the KSC75 IMO and even less so than most open headphones I've heard.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 27
I've read the Goldring thread a few weeks back and some there did say that the overall signature was similar to the KSC75s.

You might that into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back