The next step from KSC-75: Denon D1000, Equation RP-21, or Goldring DR150?
Jul 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 27
The good news here is all three headphones are truly excellent. You cannot go wrong.

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 27
One of my next two reviews on StereoMojo will be the Goldring DR150.
tongue.gif
I also own the KSC75 btw.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 27
I'd like the same sound signature, but with everything improved. I'm not sure if thats even possible - maybe improvements are simply differences in sound signature, but I doubt it - there could probably be more clarity, separation, deeper bass, cleaner treble, etc etc. I don't know the lingo, but there's got to be improvement on a sound signature at the $20 price point.

I look forward to your review, Asr, particularly if you can offer any comparisons to the KSC75....

One more question: would it be better for me to buy an amp (such as an intro level PIMETA to improve my KSC75's), or to get new headphones?

S

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The good news here is all three headphones are truly excellent. You cannot go wrong.

How do the RP21's stock up against HD25-1's? I'd really like to know.

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 27
I prefer the HD25-1. There is something about the RP21's treble that continues to bother me. It's so dry and chalky. The ES7, Denon D1000, and certainly the HD25-1 all have more enjoyable treble, IMO.

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 27
Alright, so too much money later, here's what I've ended up with (all of which are in transit presently):

Meier Audio Corda MOVE (to be used as a USB DAC/amp out of my laptop)
Goldring DR150
Equation RP-21

We'll see which of those headphones win out, given that I've significantly upgraded my source to heights that have never been experienced before (the highest being my TBAAM).

Can anyone comment on the synergy of the MOVE amp with those two headphones?

S

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HD25-1. There is something about the RP21's treble that continues to bother me. It's so dry and chalky. The ES7, Denon D1000, and certainly the HD25-1 all have more enjoyable treble, IMO.

I've had the RP-21 for about a week, and I agree with Skylab. Nice bass, detailed and lush mids, but something about the treble doesn't seem right. This is probably the Achilles Heel of the RP-21. I can't even describe it in words, but maybe "dry and chalky" is the right direction ... the treble doesn't seem as accurate or detailed as my SR-225 and DT880.

On the plus side, the trebles aren't overly bright, so listener fatigue is virtually non-existent. The bright trebles have been a problem for me with the DT880, but this is more an issue of the recording rather than the phone. SR-225 and RP-21 seem to have a slight roll-off in treble to combat this, but the SR-225 sounds more natural whereas something about the RP-21's treble seems missing or muddled. If you get an opportunity to test the RP-21, pay special attention to the way female vocals and cymbals sound.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by killer_deep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's what I've ended up with (all of which are in transit presently):

Meier Audio Corda MOVE (to be used as a USB DAC/amp out of my laptop)
Goldring DR150
Equation RP-21

Any update on this? I am considering setting my RP-21 free and getting a DR150.

On one hand I think I'd miss the bass and isolated presentation. On the other hand I think I'd appreciate more sparkle in the upper bands and the comfort of open air.

I'd really like to see some DR150 vs RP-21 comparisons.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #27 of 27
Oh ho ho. I see both your RP-21 and the DR150 went up on the FS forum, and I juuuuuuust missed the DR150 auction on ebay. I'm a pro at missing auctions by a day, lemme tell ya.

So you opted not to keep either of them -- why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back