The next step for a planar - post LCD-X awakening
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
I've had the LCD-X for a few months now. Absolutely game changing discovery.

I'm at the point where I know I want another planar for my next headphone set, I'll probably have to wait up to a year to buy one, depending on which one, and I have narrowed it down to two options.

Either save up the most and take the longest and get the LCD-5 - not interested in the LCD-3 or MM-500. Or try the Hifiman HE1000V2 which I could get sooner.

I enjoy a solid bass slam, which the X provide with EQ. I don't mind EQ'ing at all, as these planars just EQ so damn well from my experience. I also prefer lots of clarity and separation between instruments in the mids and highs. Don't need a huge soundstage, but not too intimate either. Any advice so I can put that pair of headphones on my Dreamboard?

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 32
You can look into mods for LCD-X. I am waiting to demo a modded LCD-X, but you can head over to that friendly website for more information. I don't think LCD-5 or HEK are actual "upgrade". They are different for sure.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 32
I'm at the point where I know I want another planar for my next headphone set, I'll probably have to wait up to a year to buy one, depending on which one, and I have narrowed it down to two options.
Either save up the most and take the longest and get the LCD-5 - not interested in the LCD-3 or MM-500. Or try the Hifiman HE1000V2 which I could get sooner.
I enjoy a solid bass slam, which the X provide with EQ. I don't mind EQ'ing at all, as these planars just EQ so damn well from my experience. I also prefer lots of clarity and separation between instruments in the mids and highs. Don't need a huge soundstage, but not too intimate either. Any advice so I can put that pair of headphones on my Dreamboard?
• ZMF Caldera (…first ‘planar’ from ZMF; Zach Meirbach originally modded Fostex T50rp etc).
• LCD-4 (200 ohms, unusual for a planar. To me, exquisite versus LCD-5.)

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 32

HE6SE V2 if you have enough amp. They're cheap enough to be worth experimenting on. Build quality is crap compared to Audeze, but they slam and have aggressive mids that don't get sibilant. Quite an enjoyable pair of headphones which are great for vocals and guitars and work with a wide range of music.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 32
• ZMF Caldera (…first ‘planar’ from ZMF; Zach Meirbach originally modded Fostex T50rp etc).
I was looking at the LCD-4, and those were my target - I called Audio46 to see if I could audition them. But it would have to be a used pair to get later this year?

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 32
I was looking at the LCD-4, and those were my target - I called Audio46 to see if I could audition them. But it would have to be a used pair to get later this year?
I do not believe that LCD-4 is currently produced. So, yes to your question.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 32
I believe driver replacement cost for LCD-4s are over $1k and they do break. You just have to factor that in your TCO.

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 32
I believe driver replacement cost for LCD-4s are over $1k and they do break. You just have to factor that in your TCO.
You can buy like 3 pair HE6SE V2 for the price of 1 LCD-4 driver, if you watch Adorama's sales :p

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 32
The Caldera looks gorgeous, gotta get on those reviews! Doesn't look like Audio46 carries them, but I might be able to find another place in NYC to check them out

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 32

Ever hear an OG LCD-4? The HEK v2 is a fine headphone, but bass slam is not a strong suit. EQ will get volume with the HEK v1, but not impact. The HE-6 SE dishes out more of that with the right power amp.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 32
HE6SE is more like sidestep from LCD-X, not more technical in any way, probably even less refined.
HE1000V2 can wow you though, but it's on a bright side, quite a departure from LCD-X.

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 32
HE6SE is more like sidestep from LCD-X, not more technical in any way, probably even less refined.
HE1000V2 can wow you though, but it's on a bright side, quite a departure from LCD-X.
agreed on the 6 SE, but he did say bass impact....

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 32
I do not believe that LCD-4 is currently produced. So, yes to your question.
Those caldera seem amazing.

The reviews sound like exactly what I'm looking for. And one review even said it in the right words.

A blend of the physicality of the LCD in the low end and in general,with also traits of Hifiman in the mids and highs and airiness and sound stage. Their words. In my words - Like if the two had a baby.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 32
Or try the Hifiman HE1000V2 which I could get sooner.
Owning both, LCD-X and HEK V2, I'd say the Hifiman is more of a sidegrade/complementary headphone to the LCD-X instead of an Upgrade. I'm also in the same boat, looking for an Upgrade that combines the traits of the LCD-X (Bass, Comfort), the HEK V2 (Stage, Airiness) and something like the Clear (Punch). But I'm not sure if that even exists.

ZMF Caldera sounds promising, maybe also the Final D8000 Pro.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 32
no such cans exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back