The next step for a planar - post LCD-X awakening
Apr 4, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 32
Owning both, LCD-X and HEK V2, I'd say the Hifiman is more of a sidegrade/complementary headphone to the LCD-X instead of an Upgrade. I'm also in the same boat, looking for an Upgrade that combines the traits of the LCD-X (Bass, Comfort), the HEK V2 (Stage, Airiness) and something like the Clear (Punch). But I'm not sure if that even exists.

ZMF Caldera sounds promising, maybe also the Final D8000 Pro.

Thanks for the feedback since you own both those cans.

I put a photo of the ZMF Caldera on my Dream Board. That will be my likely next purchase, hopefully at the end of this year, if not early next.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 32
Have you tried Clear MG by any chance? While not planar they have a lot to offer esp. at their price.
I tried two pairs in fact. They couldn't handle any real bass impact at any volume above slightly moderate. The second pair, the associate at B&H who worked the studio room where I tried the second pair said they sounded like a cheap pair of car speakers that couldn't handle any bass.

From what I've read a lot of people find this with deep bass music, I'm not talking bass guitar, but deep bass - the Focals can't handle them unless they are pretty quiet or else they distort. And this is not a bug, it is a feature. I'm glad they sucked so bad because I took that money and bought the LCD-X and discovered that amazing sound. It was meant to be.

If you only listen to music that does not add in any electronic deep bass, just like classic rock, rock, jazz, classical, folk, etc... those Focals are probably fine. For the rest of us, oy.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 32
Owning both, LCD-X and HEK V2, I'd say the Hifiman is more of a sidegrade/complementary headphone to the LCD-X instead of an Upgrade. I'm also in the same boat, looking for an Upgrade that combines the traits of the LCD-X (Bass, Comfort), the HEK V2 (Stage, Airiness) and something like the Clear (Punch). But I'm not sure if that even exists.

ZMF Caldera sounds promising, maybe also the Final D8000 Pro.
The D8000 Pro combines some traits of those headphones. Id say that the tuning and presentation reminds me of the HD800s, mixed with Audeze bass and focal dynamics.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 32
I tried two pairs in fact. They couldn't handle any real bass impact at any volume above slightly moderate. The second pair, the associate at B&H who worked the studio room where I tried the second pair said they sounded like a cheap pair of car speakers that couldn't handle any bass.

From what I've read a lot of people find this with deep bass music, I'm not talking bass guitar, but deep bass - the Focals can't handle them unless they are pretty quiet or else they distort. And this is not a bug, it is a feature. I'm glad they sucked so bad because I took that money and bought the LCD-X and discovered that amazing sound. It was meant to be.

If you only listen to music that does not add in any electronic deep bass, just like classic rock, rock, jazz, classical, folk, etc... those Focals are probably fine. For the rest of us, oy.
Never had any issues with mine, wondering if this is amplification or EQ related issue.
Any test track you can recommend to check it out for you?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 32
ZMF Caldera, Meze Elite or Final D8000 Pro sounds like something you'd want.

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 32
Never had any issues with mine, wondering if this is amplification or EQ related issue.
Any test track you can recommend to check it out for you?
Me neither. I listen at 75-80db SPL.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 32
I only had the Clear MG for a couple of days to compare them to my pair of OG, but neither pair had issues with EDM or bass heavy music in general. If both pairs weren't tested in the same environment it's probably just a subjective thing and not a technical defect and/or bad luck.

@Tano
That sounds promising. I guess I'll give them a try if I have the opportunity. The D8K Pro's seem to get their share of attention lately.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 32
Just checked the price of D8000 Pro and almost fainted. What magic pixie dust technology they use to warrant the asking price? :scream:
No magic. They developed their own driver just like other brands. They just have some marketing to justify premium prices like all companies do.

That said. It's the best all rounder TOTL headphones that I've tried. Prices are outrageous but you can always buy 2nd hand and save quite a bit.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #26 of 32
D8000Pro treble may be too much for some; it's borderline for me. Also sounded a bit odd in the midrange.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 32
I have no experience with them but the MM-500 does kinda seem like the next logical step?
Yeah. A good idea to keep quiet when you don’t have any experience with the cans you are suggesting.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 32
I have no experience with them but the MM-500 does kinda seem like the next logical step?
Give them a try. I compared them to my LCD-X and was surprised. But not in a good way. The "mid-forward" sound signature was just not for me. There's apparently people liking it, so that's just personal preference. But what absolutely killed me was the lack of comfort. The LCD-X sure has some weight, but it is so comfy with its soft leather pads. The MM-500 felt as if someone put my head in a vise. I could not wear them for more than 1 hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back