The next step for a planar - post LCD-X awakening
Apr 5, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #31 of 32
Give them a try. I compared them to my LCD-X and was surprised. But not in a good way. The "mid-forward" sound signature was just not for me. There's apparently people liking it, so that's just personal preference. But what absolutely killed me was the lack of comfort. The LCD-X sure has some weight, but it is so comfy with its soft leather pads. The MM-500 felt as if someone put my head in a vise. I could not wear them for more than 1 hour.
I really find that I'm yearning for those very frequencies when I listen through the lcdx, even with the "fixed" 2021 version. Thinking about upgrading as I need a more clinical sound. Although the the greater lack of comfort does not sound desirable.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #32 of 32
I really find that I'm yearning for those very frequencies when I listen through the lcdx, even with the "fixed" 2021 version. Thinking about upgrading as I need a more clinical sound. Although the the greater lack of comfort does not sound desirable.
I've read a lot of reviews for the mm500 in my search for my next planars. It sounds like I'd miss to much of the X's positives with that.

The caldera really sound like the logical upgrade if you are willing to part with 3.5k - the LCD5 and the Fostex are both a bit more expensive - this is if you want to keep some of that physicality and low end, while adding a bit of soundstage and separation in the higher frequencies. If you don't need the bass and physicality it sounds like Hifiman is the other option. At least from my research and comments in this thread which guided me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back