The next logical progression?
Jan 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CrystalT

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out what the next logical progression is in this hobby of mine. My first forray in to the hobby was buying soundmagic pl11, and rockboxing my old sansa e260. From there, I have purchased soundmagic pl30, and klipsch image x10, upgraded my player to a voodoo mod SGS captivate as a dedicated PMP (no contract, always in airplane mode, low wifi usage gives me about a day's worth.)

The pl30 was the first, and only thing that has wowed me thus far. The klipsch sound good, but the form factor causes my ears a lot of pain, and my ears constantly eject them minutes after getting a complete seal, killing the bass response and creating sibilance regardless of tips used.

Where should I go from here? My income is about $40 every two weeks, with $27.28 of it being spent once a month, and will ideally jump soon once I start donating plasma. I listen to a variety of music. Power metal, djent, melodeath, baroque era chamber music, and 20/21st century minimalist chamber music, freeform hardcore, hardcore trance, oldshool and underground rap.

Should I sell the klipsch image x10 and get something else in the $100-$150 range? Should I keep them and experiment with different sound signatures in the budget/entry level area? Or should I invest in a dac with auxiliary out? Or something else entirely?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow, this thread got knocked down super quickly. :p

To expand: I'm most likely looking to get myself a pair of bright, and airy iems. Ideally, I'd like a shallow-insertion iem that is at least technically equal to the x10 in performance. Also, if it's responsive to equalization, that would be exceptionally awesome. I generally like sparkle, and clarity, but when it comes to electronic music, I have to admit that I like my music to go doof doof doof.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Well i could suggest something like the Brainwavz B2 but when you will need bass it wont be there.
Take look at the phonak audeo pfe11x and the pf01x it has been said that the pf01x are the same with the pf11x but they come with a bass filter so you can have both worlds by buying the filters of the more expensive model. I cant guarranty you that are the same though. You have to research that in the forum to see if its true.

Check the review for both and other options here.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't mind buying bass-heavy headphones, if they respond well to equalization. I'm fond of the sound the x10 is capable of producing with proper eq, but the comfort, or lack thereof drives me insane. Although I think the x10 are superior to the SMPL30, they just didn't wow me the way the pl30 did.

Something about the brainwavz line has turned me off. It's just some inexplicable sort of instinct that tells me I won't enjoy them, despite all the good I read about them, and my fond experiences with mp4nation.

I'll look in to the other recommendations.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Going to bump this up again. I'm considering just reshelling the x10. Most of the iems in the $140 range don't really interest me, and I don't want to downgrade my 'phones on a technology level.

Opinions? I seem to have difficult to please ears, lol.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Have you considered the VSonic GR07? That is basically using one of the more exotic drivers out there and is one of the more popular options around 150. Comfort is pretty good with the earhooks.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 12
I actually like the x10's low-end. I just wish it provided more clarity, or that it was a faster headphone. A lot of my more busy music tends to overwhelm the 'phones.

Also, as x10 owner, how do you eq them, personally? Looking for ideas.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 12
maybe take a look in the trade forums and trade/purchase some phones on the cheap and compare. if they dont work for u, then put them back on the market. save u some money and allow u to try a few items till u find what u like.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I actually like the x10's low-end. I just wish it provided more clarity, or that it was a faster headphone. A lot of my more busy music tends to overwhelm the 'phones.
Also, as x10 owner, how do you eq them, personally? Looking for ideas.

I've used x10's although I dont own them. I got to demo them for about 35-40 minutes attached to a lossess format player. The pair I used had lots of hours of usage and should have been pretty well burned in.

Anyways, you may want to look at the B+W C5's. I know they aren't the most popular IEM's around here, but I think they beat out the X10's in low end, and clarity per my personal listening preference's. But again, that's just me . . .

Also, my local best buy right now has HF3's clearanced for less than 70.00 right now. Perhaps yours do as well? - I cant really vouch for the sound personally, but I know people that really enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back