The New Thinksound Woodies. ON2, Rain3 and MS02
Feb 25, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #32 of 102
I have a feeling as more and more people end up getting a pair this thread will grow. It is only a matter of time. I have yet to read a single negative about these.

I let a coworker listen to my pair with my Pono.  He ended up buying one from massdrop. Lol.

Aaron let me know they are working on a full sized bluetooth headphone. If it is tuned like the ON2. Those should be interesting.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #33 of 102

Aaron let me know they are working on a full sized bluetooth headphone. If it is tuned like the ON2. Those should be interesting.

I suppose that's where the average buyer is, but I'm not interested in wireless at all. Bummer. I'd rather see him work on an ON-style headphone that sounded like the Rain3, or an over the ear that sounds like ON2, but better.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 102
  I have a feeling as more and more people end up getting a pair this thread will grow. It is only a matter of time. I have yet to read a single negative about these.

I let a coworker listen to my pair with my Pono.  He ended up buying one from massdrop. Lol.

The On2 deserves all the positive praise it can get. It's a wonderful headphone. A Bluetooth offering from them is certainly intriguing. Have experienced a ton of Bluetooth products lately and they're really starting to grow on me. A wireless On2 would be plenty good enough for me.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #35 of 102
I spent a little time with my new itty-bitty-woodies (Rain3 and MS02) last night.  Only 30 hours on each of them, so it's likely they need some more time before they develop full sonic potential.

Rain3 is, as described, smooth.  It's a great pair with my Sony ZX2, and I spent an incredibly enjoyable few hours listening to them through the ZX2.  The Rain3's smoothness may not be to everyone's tastes, but I found it a boon with less than well-recorded material; I happened to be in the middle of Chet Baker & Stan Getz "West Coast Live" when I plugged in the Rain3.  Not a great recording, with classic Bock signature sound (not my preference) and a haphazard on-site recording quality, and of course the infamous dislike between the musicians...  But worth listening to :) In any case, Rain3 somehow untangled the mess of a recording and let the music open up more than I've heard from other headphones (regardless of cost).  I spun through a few other recordings I know well, as well as some time with a particularly hot Jazz set on Sirius XM (compressed, yes!), and this reinforced my impression: the Rain3 may not get you closest to the master tape, but it has this ineffable way of setting music free from the recording medium for your enjoyment.  I like that; it's not a trait I'd want always, with every one of my headphones, but generally I'm in this for the music more than ultimate "fidelity" (insert your own definition here) and if Rain3 lets me forget equipment and listen to music...  it's a great addition to my stable.  One other observation about Rain3: it worked really well for some background listening while I worked a bit yesterday.  Some headphones scream "listen to me!!" and can get you out of your work "flow."  Rain3 doesn't do that.

MS02 is, as others have described, somewhat similar to ON2 in terms of sonic signature.  I find it smoother than ON2 (which to my ears always retains a little "grain"), and slightly warmer in overall timbre.  The same "fun," musical signature of the ON2 is found in the MS02, and they dig much deeper into the grooves/bits of the recording vs Rain3.  They are very finicky with regards to insertion for me--too shallow and they sound brittle, too deep and they get extremely warm and way too bassy.  When I find the sweet spot, though, the MS02 really satisfy.  I was breaking them in on my iDAC2>iCAN Pro rig, and after letting the tubes warm up I sat down for a quick check-in.  Initially I intended to do a quick check-in and then burn an hour or so listening to my LCDX (my most frequently used headphone)...  But I finished off the night with the MS02.  They are that satisfying...  I simply kicked back and spun through some recordings I wanted to listen to (Alison Balsom/Paris, Thelonious Monk/Live at the It Club ripped from LP) and never once felt like I was cheated and needed to swap in my LCDX to enjoy the recordings.  That's pretty high praise, to be honest.  In active listening mode, I'd be far more likely to swap out Rain3 for LCDX...  but with MS02 I felt like I was getting close enough to the "tape," with enough fidelity, good timbre, and musicality, that I was satisfied.  

Just some quick impressions, and more time will likely reveal more weaknesses.  But, for me, both headphones are complimentary and an excellent addition to my collection.  Huge thanks to Massdrop for the absolutely killer deal...

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #36 of 102
ON2's reviews are so promising, and now I'm also expecting a pair for review. Even more curious for me is the form factor: I had ATH-ESW9 which sounded good and were also foldable wooden on-ears, but the durability and build had issues. If Thinksound is built so well and sounds so good, ON2 is so convenient for portable use! So I am really eager to try them :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #37 of 102
ON2's reviews are so promising, and now I'm also expecting a pair for review. Even more curious for me is the form factor: I had ATH-ESW9 which sounded good and were also foldable wooden on-ears, but the durability and build had issues. If Thinksound is built so well and sounds so good, ON2 is so convenient for portable use! So I am really eager to try them
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't had durability issues so far, but I will say they sometimes are fiddly to get placed well.  Each cup rotates in many directions, and sometimes getting them to sit in just the right spot is tricky, or they may shift while wearing (look up at the sky, and they rotate back due to gravity).  A bit fiddly, but I have gotten used to it.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #38 of 102

I haven't had durability issues so far, but I will say they sometimes are fiddly to get placed well.  Each cup rotates in many directions, and sometimes getting them to sit in just the right spot is tricky, or they may shift while wearing (look up at the sky, and they rotate back due to gravity).  A bit fiddly, but I have gotten used to it.

I guess the fit depends on the head size, shape etc. ESW9 was fine for me in that aspect, maybe because my head diameter is quite large.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 102
Could anyone give me a idea how the ON2's compare to Sennheiser Momentums?

I like them much more than the old Momentum On-Ear at least, but that is one of my least liked headphones ever....though as I recollect the on-ears were rather different from the over-ear versions, so if that is what you are asking about please disregard.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #41 of 102
Thanks for getting back to me. I have the over ear model, but haven't heard the on ears so I'm afraid it doesn't help me. I have one of the new Fiio X5 gen 3's on it's way to me, and have the bug for something new to try with them. But if these aren't much different than what I already have, not much reason to get them, eh? I do love the look of them, maybe I'll try the Rains instead as I don't really have any IEMs.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #42 of 102
I don't have the momentums but I can tell you the ON2 is absolutely fantastic portable can.. It is right up there next to my ATH-MSR7 as my best portable. I actually prefer it for isolation. Sound signature is very engaging as it has outstanding detail and sound positioning with an intimate yet enveloping stage in overall presentation. Makes for a great on the go headphone.

If you want to try one of the 2 newer thinksound iems. I would go for the MS02 over the Rain3. It is like the earphone version of the ON2.  Sound balancing at least.  I think what separates the ON2 vs the MS02 is it has more dynamic range over the earphones and has the better more fuller rangy sound over them. Sound balancing is very similar but with the added dynamics on the ON2 Is just the aspect that pushes the ON2 into a special category.

I have been using the MS02 all this week at work and while I think it is a great performer,. It leaves me wanting to just grab the ON2. I honestly think you would enjoy the ON2 regardless of owning the momentums.  I own much higher end iems and headphones than the ON2 but it holds its own and is a great part of my ever growing collection of cans.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #43 of 102
Cool, and thanks for the recommendation on the EIMs. Like I said, I really don't have any right now. And it would be nice if I ever was in a situation where they made more sense than full cans. I understand exactly what you mean about having more expensive but still falling back on them. I'm that way with my 770's. Still throw those on for fun sometimes.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #44 of 102
I think what separates the ON2 vs the MS02 is it has more dynamic range over the earphones and has the better more fuller rangy sound over them. Sound balancing is very similar but with the added dynamics on the ON2 Is just the aspect that pushes the ON2 into a special category.

I have been using the MS02 all this week at work and while I think it is a great performer,. It leaves me wanting to just grab the ON2.

Try playing with tips and insertion depth.

I've actually had the opposite experience; except for comfort (I prefer headphones vs IEMs), I have found myself preferring the MS02 to the ON2 this week! Sound signature is similar, as you suggested, but the MS02 is a bit smoother with just a touch of warmth that the ON2 doesn't have. Bass is also deeper, although the ON2 has a classic mud bass hump to suggest otherwise.

These aren't earth-shattering differences, though, and I still love the ON2.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 102
I use spiral dots on my pair as I do with most of my earphones. I think wider bores balances out the overall sound of most earphones I use it on perhaps on the MS02 is pushes the mids back a touch vs stock tips. From memory any way. Also I have been using it with my DX90 which might not be the best synergy out of the pairing. I remember loving the sound of the MS02 out of my fist gen X3 which has a fuller warmer musical presentation. So I suppose tips and actual source synergy comes into play. 

I do like both products but for me the ON2 out of my Pono is a crazy good combo. Would love to try the ON2 in balanced mode some how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back