The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Mar 2, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #376 of 516
And just to add a bit of carrot out in front to tempt you, so to speak…
Try listening to the JggyB on a AOIP (Audio Over IP) digital audio feed via AES using a dante network.

This far, any and every dac I have heard using this means of delivering the digital audio stream to the dac, makes them come alive.
And the JggyB not only is no exception, it raises the bar much more than a single mother may I step up.

Of course you'll need to give it all some time to settle in especially if the AES inputs have never been used, not to mention the dante endpoint ethernet to digital audio format converter box.

For those who have ventured down this path, we have come to use the term REALNESS to describe the acoustical experience this combination delivers.

It truly takes the JggyB to another level.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #377 of 516
There's plenty of different out there to sample.
Whether it's better or not is up to each individual listener to decide for themselves.
Yggdrasil is the one constant in my HP rigs.
Could I find better out there that I like? At what cost? Would it be worth it? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't feel I could do significantly better than my Yggy's.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #378 of 516
And just to add a bit of carrot out in front to tempt you, so to speak…
Try listening to the JggyB on a AOIP (Audio Over IP) digital audio feed via AES using a dante network.

This far, any and every dac I have heard using this means of delivering the digital audio stream to the dac, makes them come alive.
And the JggyB not only is no exception, it raises the bar much more than a single mother may I step up.

Of course you'll need to give it all some time to settle in especially if the AES inputs have never been used, not to mention the dante endpoint ethernet to digital audio format converter box.

For those who have ventured down this path, we have come to use the term REALNESS to describe the acoustical experience this combination delivers.

It truly takes the JggyB to another level.

JJ

What is the easiest way to replace my current USB connection with AOIP with an AES connection to my DAC? I don't want to task you with providing every detail, but it is not clear to me what SW and HW is needed. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #379 of 516
What is the easiest way to replace my current USB connection with AOIP with an AES connection to my DAC? I don't want to task you with providing every detail, but it is not clear to me what SW and HW is needed. Thanks.
Before you go down that route with the attending hardware and software complications, it might be worth waiting for Schiit's Unison USB card to become available. For one thing, AOIP solutions do not switch sample rates automatically, so if your library/sources have diverse sample rates, it would be quite inconvenient. Schiit have been steadily improving their USB audio input with audible benefits, first to the current Gen 5 cards, and now to the Unison card that has been in closed beta test. At some point, someone will be surely evaluating the new card against AES and more specifically against AOIP AES, and after those evaluations emerge would the right time to make a decision. Just my $.02.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #380 of 516
Before you go down that route with the attending hardware and software complications, it might be worth waiting for Schiit's Unison USB card to become available. For one thing, AOIP solutions do not switch sample rates automatically, so if your library/sources have diverse sample rates, it would be quite inconvenient. Schiit have been steadily improving their USB audio input with audible benefits, first to the current Gen 5 cards, and now to the Unison card that has been in closed beta test. At some point, someone will be surely evaluating the new card against AES and more specifically against AOIP AES, and after those evaluations emerge would the right time to make a decision. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the advice. You just ruled out AOIP for me. I have every sample rate between 44 and 192 in my library. I must have auto switching. I will be patient and wait for Unison.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #381 of 516
Yes AOIP is a Pro-Audio solution and rate switching is a 'not ready for prime time' feature.
And the new USB solution Schiit has been developing could/should be a contendah.

But on SQ alone, until the Unison USB solution becomes available, Dante AOIP rests on the top of the mountain, at least as far as any other solution I have heard.
I do hope to compare them directly to see if my tweaked AOIP implementation gets bested.

And for me rate switching is a non issue as the JggyB gets fed 44.1 SR files exclusively as that has provided the best SQ into the JggyB thus far.
So I have my player sample rate convert everything that needs to be, down to 44.1, where the JggyB does it's best work.

JJ

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #382 of 516
I would not be surprised if AOIP via AES using a Dante network still has an edge over the Unison USB for ultimate SQ. However the convenience of really good USB sound, even if second place to AOIP will have most sending their Yggys in for the new Unison USB board when available. I know I will.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #383 of 516
And if this new Unison USB board can be installed by the end user, which seems to be rather likely, it will be even easier to compare these 2 digital audio streams.

And yeah for those users who aren't chasing that ever illusive and continually evolving top of the heap SQ solution, this USB should be a no-brainer for sure.
I mean the Gen-5 card was and still is quite acceptable.
And not having to fuss with an AOIP setup is, for many, a HUGE advantage.

And if/when the BWD digital audio approach comes out, I can see it eclipsing the dante network, just due to it's lack of additional complexity and easier connection pathway.

JJ

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #384 of 516
As far as I know the Unison USB board will be a drop in replacement for the current Gen 5 board. Schiit already sells the Gen 5 board to end users who say they are competent to install or know a technician so you should be able to install it yourself. I looked at the videos and I just don't feel comfortable tearing down my 25 pound Yggy so I will send mine back for the upgrade. I look forward to your comparison to Dante AOIP.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #386 of 516
I looked at the videos and I just don't feel comfortable tearing down my 25 pound Yggy
It's actually pretty easy if you have good tools and handle it carefully. But then I started working with electronics back in high school...

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #387 of 516
And as another early adopter (yeah fussing with this sorta stuff since way back when) and doing so with all manner of electronics, opening up this case, while fidgety with lots of little screws, isn't really all that complicated.
But then taking anything apart has never been too much of a problem for me.
And depending upon if there was a NEED to put it back together, or not, would determine how determined I needed to be, in order to 'take it apart'. :ksc75smile:

However putting it back together so you don't strip out those tiny 4-40 (or are they metric?) screws, does (or can in some cases) take a deft hand.
Sometimes there is an 'ideal' re-assembly sequence so everything lines back up perfectly and it literally re-aligns itself.
Ham handing 4-40's is fraught with and all to easily results in stripped threads.

But it really isn't that difficult, but is more than a novice taker-aparter should tackle.
And I figure that if most were shown the procedure in person, would probably get it well enough to do it again on their own, but using words and pictures makes it look daunting, for sure.

JJ

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #388 of 516

Why not just try a regular streamer that has an AES output. Or a usb to AES unit.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #389 of 516
Why not just try a regular streamer that has an AES output. Or a usb to AES unit.

My previous PC to DAC connection was via Eitr with a Neutrik SPDIF to AES transformer adapter. With GEN5 USB, I could not tell a difference between the two, so I use USB since it just involves a cable. My interest was in AOIP, but no more.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #390 of 516
Just curious are the beta users and or schiit saying they are seeing improved performance over the Gen 5 board?

Yes, absolutely. Schiit talks about the new USB on this video taken at RMAF 2018. I have talked with some beta testers and they agree the new USB is significantly better than Gen 5. One downside is Unison USB will not work with Windows 7, just Windows 10, iOS, Android and most Linux versions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back