The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Jun 24, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #61 of 516
@cycler2 Nice comparison, thanks for that. :L3000:

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #63 of 516
I currently have the yggy connecting to a mjolnir2 amp for my headphones and my 2.1 setup using a receiver. I wanted to know if any of you are using the Yggy for a 2.1 setup and if so how is it configured? Thanks

I use Yggy to Jot balanced. Then balanced outs to Focal Solo 6 Be, I use the single ended left and right to a SVS AEQ-1.
It's a old DSP Sub only box, that uses Audyssey multEQ XT.
It keeps left and right discreet for 2.2, then EQ's each sub independently for the room.
It does this from 250 Hz down, and gets it very flat in my room.
Then I use the active speakers/subs to crossover around 40 Hz, and blend the bass by ear. The Focal's are tunable here as well.

It all works very well.:guitar:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #64 of 516
I currently have the yggy connecting to a mjolnir2 amp for my headphones and my 2.1 setup using a receiver. I wanted to know if any of you are using the Yggy for a 2.1 setup and if so how is it configured? Thanks

I am running yggy into a 2.1 setup. Mine runs all single ended right now. Yggy to Loki mini to Freya into a Vidar powering a set of B&W 805 Signatures with one of the outputs, and the other runs to an SVS SB1000 with the crossover and level set on the sub to blend.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #65 of 516
I am running yggy into a 2.1 setup. Mine runs all single ended right now. Yggy to Loki mini to Freya into a Vidar powering a set of B&W 805 Signatures with one of the outputs, and the other runs to an SVS SB1000 with the crossover and level set on the sub to blend.
Can you clarify where the SVS SB100 input is from? The Yggy directly?

Mike

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #66 of 516

Mike

I run my subs out of my Freya so the volume control keeps the subs and mains at the same level.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #67 of 516
Currently, I have the SE output of the Yggy going out to a Marantz receiver controlling the 2.1 setup. Correct me if I am wrong here but because the Marantz receiver has its own built in DAC it means I am not getting any benefit of the Yggy with this setup?

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #68 of 516
Currently, I have the SE output of the Yggy going out to a Marantz receiver controlling the 2.1 setup. Correct me if I am wrong here but because the Marantz receiver has its own built in DAC it means I am not getting any benefit of the Yggy with this setup?

The Marantz's built-in DAC should only operate on digital inputs. The Yggy is an analogue input (you are taking the analogue outs from Yggy into the analogue ins on the Marantz). That's not to say the Marantz doesn't perform some sort of DSP to its analogue inputs, many modern receivers do, but you can usually bypass this additional processing using the 'Source Direct' button if your Marantz has one.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #69 of 516

Mike

It is fed from one of the se outputs from Freya. One runs down to Vidar and the other to the SB1000. I then set the crossover and level on the sub to blend with the speakers. On the SVS subs don't use the preamp outputs from the sub to pass the signal through. Reason is SVS uses digital dsp to control the crossover and level to prevent clipping. This involves an analog to digital conversion then the dsp then a digital to analog again and will lose most of the benefit of yggy. It still does somewhat with the bass but not enough for me to notice if only sending a signal to the sub.

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #70 of 516
Just checked on my Yggy v2 + Freya order... looks like the back order date for Yggy slipped from 6/29 to 7/12 :triportsad:
Ah well, a couple more weeks with Yggy v1 ain't such a bad thing...

BTW, I'm also running a 2.1 config:

Desktop PC (w/ RME RayDAT Pro Soundcard), AES/EBU to Yggy.
From Yggy, Balanced XLR to SPL Volume 2 pre-amp.
From Volume 2, Balanced XLR to FOCAL CMS Sub.
From CMS Sub, Balanced XLR to (L+R) Focal Solo 6 Be speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #71 of 516
Just checked on my Yggy v2 + Freya order... looks like the back order date for Yggy slipped from 6/29 to 7/12 :triportsad:
Ah well, a couple more weeks with the Yggy v1 ain't such a bad thing...

BTW, I'm also running a 2.1 config:

Desktop PC (w/ RME RayDAT Pro Soundcard), AES/EBU to Yggy.
From Yggy, Balanced XLR to SPL Volume 2 pre-amp.
From Volume 2, Balanced XLR to FOCAL CMS Sub.
From CMS Sub, Balanced XLR to (L+R) Focal Solo 6 Be speakers.

I see you like the pro stuff too.:ok_hand:

Been looking at the SPL 2Control but then I might need balanced setup for the subs.

@Jamiee So are you replacing the SPL Volume 2 with Freya?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #72 of 516
I see you like the pro stuff too.:ok_hand:

Been looking at the SPL 2Control but then I might need balanced setup for the subs.

@Jamiee So are you replacing the SPL Volume 2 with Freya?

Indeed, I've had the Focal's for a few years now and still really enjoy them for near field listening - They are quite unforgiving in that they'll show you the gear you have in front of them (good, bad, or ugly), but I like that.... It makes me work harder to get it right!

The RME sound card is a recent addition and to be honest I'm wondering why it took me sooooo long to finally come to my senses! I noticed an immediate - rather significant - uptick in transparency and image stability using the sound card interface compared to USB and/or Optical out from the PC (regardless of the re-clocking devices or quality of cables used in-between).

Re: SPL Volume 2.
Yup, Freya is replacing it. Not because I don't like the Volume 2 (it's does what I need it to and it does it well - NOTE: I did upgrade the internal fuses and Op-Amp's), but because I want to have the option to have a little fun with tubes. Besides Freya just looks better paired with yggy :sunglasses: (not an important factor).

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #73 of 516
Indeed, I've had the Focal's for a few years now and still really enjoy them for near field listening - They are quite unforgiving in that they'll show you the gear you have in front of them (good, bad, or ugly), but I like that.... It makes me work harder to get it right!

The RME sound card is a recent addition and to be honest I'm wondering why it took me sooooo long to finally come to my senses! I noticed an immediate - rather significant - uptick in transparency and image stability using the sound card interface compared to USB and/or Optical out from the PC (regardless of the re-clocking devices or quality of cables used in-between).

Re: SPL Volume 2.
Yup, Freya is replacing it. Not because I don't like the Volume 2 (it's does what I need it to and it does it well - NOTE: I did upgrade the internal fuses and Op-Amp's), but because I want to have the option to have a little fun with tubes. Besides Freya just looks better paired with yggy :sunglasses: (not an important factor).

Yes the Focal's are quite unforgiving, but I'm a big fan of how they sound with great recordings and the right gear.
I'll be working for years to put better gear in the chain to complement Yggy and the Focal's

I maybe need that sound card and cable next.:thinking:

Dam, not cheap, I could buy a Gumby!

And looks are important to me at least, + Freya is such a good deal.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #74 of 516
Yes the Focal's are quite unforgiving, but I'm a big fan of how they sound with great recordings and the right gear.
I'll be working for years to put better gear in the chain to complement Yggy and the Focal's

I maybe need that sound card and cable next.:thinking:

Dam, not cheap, I could buy a Gumby!

And looks are important to me at least, + Freya is such a good deal.
Which speakers?

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #75 of 516
Which speakers?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Solo6Be--focal-solo6-be-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

SLYNwe6QgvLDnxd38
kr2dz3wsi4pRLkdL7
KLWrqXQBGMMyr9QG8

IMG_Desktop.jpg

The weirdest thing about my near field setup is how incredibly wide the sound stage is with my placement of the speakers, I worked on it for quite some time. I get perfect center fill.
The tweeters are almost 5 feet apart, and they are not toed in that much.
I sit back in my chair just inside the triangle and the soundscape goes from wall to wall and from the front of the desk into the back yard!

The speakers utterly disappear, of course a major reason for this is Yggy, it does not sound like that with the 4490 dac in the Jot.

I really think you can not experience everything Yggy can do on headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back