The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jul 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,246 of 1,522
Quote:
Lol well speaking of nyc... Since I'm passing through, assuming b and h carries the s400 in store in going to be picking up a pair tomorrow

Lol yes i know that the nyc store stuff was 10 days ago
tongue.gif

Funny - they do free shipping so it'll be more expensive to buy it at the store since you'll have to pay taxes.
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,247 of 1,522
Besides listening via portables... has anyone tried connecting this JVC S400 headphone to a stereo component (separate pre-amplifier and power amplifier) I wonder if connecting it to stereo component will make it sound "fuller", "wider" by open-up the treble range and "tighten" the bass and low mids...?

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,248 of 1,522
Quote:
Besides listening via portables... has anyone tried connecting this JVC S400 headphone to a stereo component (separate pre-amplifier and power amplifier) I wonder if connecting it to stereo component will make it sound "fuller", "wider" by open-up the treble range and "tighten" the bass and low mids...?

It depends on the quality of the headphone amp. Some better home stereo components  have a good headphone amp, but many home components have a poor quality headphone amp.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,249 of 1,522
Well thats ok the cost isnt my primary concern since they arent too expensive to begin with. Just too impatient for shipping and i figured since I was going to nyc for vacation might as well.

Main issue is if they don't have it in store in going to have to buy it online anyways lol

Funny - they do free shipping so it'll be more expensive to buy it at the store since you'll have to pay taxes. :blink:

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,250 of 1,522
Quote:

There's a huge difference in sound from my Denon receiver and my cheap mp3 player.

With my receiver, I can easily hear the short-comings in this very inexpensive set of phones as nice as they sound for the price. With my mp3 player, I rather like it because it's a good combination of masking each others' shortcomings for a sound that's tolerable with longer listening periods with decent sound quality.

Which I guess really doesn't answer your question!

So it really depends on the quality of the files in your portable and how high quality the components are in your home system. If you're one who believes/thinks that there is no sound differences in changing components - then no.

Maybe I'll have to think about this answer more.

What's your portable and what home system do you have or are wanting to compare?

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #1,251 of 1,522
Well thats ok the cost isnt my primary concern since they arent too expensive to begin with. Just too impatient for shipping and i figured since I was going to nyc for vacation might as well.

Main issue is if they don't have it in store in going to have to buy it online anyways lol
I bought mine in store, so they should have them unless they sold out. They also have a large selection to try.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #1,252 of 1,522
I bought mine in store, so they should have them unless they sold out. They also have a large selection to try.

Yup got the black one yesterday or uh... 2 days ago i guess... Lol time differences in ny and california...

Time to just let them burn in for a while. Though the only other closed headphone i have to compare is a dynamat modded mdr 1r... Which really isnt fair given that it costs like 8x more lol

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,253 of 1,522
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,254 of 1,522
hmm so has anyone tried doing an open backed mod for these? I'm tempted to since these aren't getting much head time with my other headphones so not much to loose really but I don't really have experience in these things.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,258 of 1,522
Yes, that is if you can get a good seal. I have mine on my desk right now hooked up to my ipod with the ear pads pressed together at 75% and they are drowned out by the air conditioning. :) I would say they may be slightly better at isolation than leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back