The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Feb 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #946 of 1,522
I've been subscribed to this thread since it's beginning because it was right at that time I decided to start looking into high-fi headphones.

After reading the hype and seeing the various and incredibly simple ways to tweak the sound from the headphones I decided to forgo investing $200+ in a nice set of cans and "just" buy some s400s.

I'm so glad I did. Thanks to everyone that's been actively posting on this thread and being clear on the simple tape and stuffing strategies. I also got a few pads from cute and it's crazy to learn how much different pads will change the sound. I'm anxiously waiting for my hm5 pads to see what happens next with the sound.

I'm an Electronic Technician and I'm VERY excited to experiment with recabling these as well. I'm starting to scour the resources spread out on the site to get my research done. And the best part is that if I screw up it's only $25 to replace these suckers.

Next investment will be a z02 amp to see how much bass I can get out of these. An "upgrade" to the s500 might be necessary for more bass, but I know these cans will always have a place in my heart as the start of my high fidelity journey.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #947 of 1,522

.....it looked/sounded and felt the best out of duct, electrical and masking...insulated around the driver with adhesive insulation and used two layers of cloth (from minipad, yes that's right) she won't miss it for a little while...and used double sided aircraft carpet tape over the white cloth tape (very thin) to hold the minipad layers(2) in place....

Haha finally another modder using the "pads".
They gave me best sound as well!!

Next investment will be a z02 amp to see how much bass I can get out of these. An "upgrade" to the s500 might be necessary for more bass, but I know these cans will always have a place in my heart as the start of my high fidelity journey.

These has as much bass as U want by taping the ports.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #948 of 1,522
Quote:
I've been subscribed to this thread since it's beginning because it was right at that time I decided to start looking into high-fi headphones.

After reading the hype and seeing the various and incredibly simple ways to tweak the sound from the headphones I decided to forgo investing $200+ in a nice set of cans and "just" buy some s400s.

I'm so glad I did. Thanks to everyone that's been actively posting on this thread and being clear on the simple tape and stuffing strategies. I also got a few pads from cute and it's crazy to learn how much different pads will change the sound. I'm anxiously waiting for my hm5 pads to see what happens next with the sound.

I'm an Electronic Technician and I'm VERY excited to experiment with recabling these as well. I'm starting to scour the resources spread out on the site to get my research done. And the best part is that if I screw up it's only $25 to replace these suckers.

FWIW I just got my HM5 pads on Friday. HUGE difference in comfort and definitely better isolation. Maybe a tad more soundstage. But I think the little foam insert in the HM5's rolls off the highs a little bit. Anyone else found this? Anyone taken the foam out? Btw, the HM5's are over the stock pads in my S400's.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #949 of 1,522
i installed the extra plastic plates... read the original post
hey did you do the inside mod by dampening internal resonance and applying special pads mod like me and hershy22 ??
Using the pad material made the mids more natural and not congested like the black felt I used before.
Thanks to charmerci for pointing oit the resonance issue clouding the trebles with his original internal mod.
It makes the best upgrade as it clears up the whole sound, especially the upper mids to the treble.
It has such clarity in upper mids and treble now that it sounds more balanced and lively than monster DNA & Diamond Tears and tiesto k67 & has very , very similar lively upper mids to an m100 while trebles are less and lower mids to mids slightly more pronounced making it sound smaller, it still reminds me of a baby m100 although the s400 bass goes similar in deepness its upper bass is more making it sound less spacious than the m100..
Haha I should not even be comparing then but only because it reminds me of them.
I havent had chance to compare again to my daughter's m80 wich I feel is still better lol.
The shocking thing is it sounds this good on stock pads,
I bet those larger pads will open it up to sound better haha!
:)
Edit:
Those s500 owners don't realize what they are missing as they have same housing so must also have same resonance problems they are not aware of..
I bet they can clear up that recessed mids and any treble issues they have.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #951 of 1,522
Quote:
hey did you do the inside mod by dampening internal resonance and applying special pads mod like me and hershy22 ??
Using the pad material made the mids more natural and not congested like the black felt I used before.
Thanks to charmerci for pointing oit the resonance issue clouding the trebles with his original internal mod.
It makes the best upgrade as it clears up the whole sound, especially the upper mids to the treble.
It has such clarity in upper mids and treble now that it sounds more balanced and lively than monster DNA & Diamond Tears and tiesto k67 & has very , very similar lively upper mids to an m100 while trebles are less and lower mids to mids slightly more pronounced making it sound smaller, it still reminds me of a baby m100 although the s400 bass goes similar in deepness its upper bass is more making it sound less spacious than the m100..
Haha I should not even be comparing then but only because it reminds me of them.
I havent had chance to compare again to my daughter's m80 wich I feel is still better lol.
The shocking thing is it sounds this good on stock pads,
I bet those larger pads will open it up to sound better haha!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
Those s500 owners don't realize what they are missing as they have same housing so must also have same resonance problems they are not aware of..
I bet they can clear up that recessed mids and any treble issues they have.

i tried putting foam and the cue-tips once but didnt hear a huge difference so i havent used any other mod beside the pads. if there is one in specific link me to it.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #952 of 1,522
Quote:
i tried putting foam and the cue-tips once but didnt hear a huge difference so i havent used any other mod beside the pads. if there is one in specific link me to it.

The original link to my mod is at the very bottom of page 53 on this thread. It shouldn't take too long to go through all the posts about mods - as there's a lot of filler in between.

One thing - I prefer to leave one port open - one of the holes that you can see covered by the white tape when you remove the pad.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #953 of 1,522
Quote:

The original link to my mod is at the very bottom of page 53 on this thread. It shouldn't take too long to go through all the posts about mods - as there's a lot of filler in between.

One thing - I prefer to leave one port open - one of the holes that you can see covered by the white tape when you remove the pad.

yea i read it once before. how exactly does covering the ports effect the sound... less rumble?

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #954 of 1,522
Quote:
yea i read it once before. how exactly does covering the ports effect the sound... less rumble?

They're ports. Have you even listened to bass coming out of the ports of a bass reflex speaker? Same thing.

I find the effect is more or less the same. With the ports covered up, I get fuller sound but more resonant boomy bass. With the ports open, the bass is tighter but the sound is lighter and more distant, i.e. coming more from the headphones and less "inside my head."

Actually, I removed the white tape covering the ports - so the above is the effect that I hear. Your sound change might not be as obvious. I'd recommend NOT removing that tape like I did.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #955 of 1,522
They're ports. Have you even listened to bass coming out of the ports of a bass reflex speaker? Same thing.

I find the effect is more or less the same. With the ports covered up, I get fuller sound but more resonant boomy bass. With the ports open, the bass is tighter but the sound is lighter and more distant, i.e. coming more from the headphones and less "inside my head."

Actually, I removed the white tape covering the ports - so the above is the effect that I hear. Your sound change might not be as obvious. I'd recommend NOT removing that tape like I did.
this is a good idea for me as I am finding the middle &upper bass slightly too much.
This may also affect lower mids so I will try.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #956 of 1,522
Well, I'm astounded!  My Brainwavz pads have just arrived and I put them on on top of the AKG K81DJ pads that I had already replaced the stock ones with and these are now unbelievably better!  A clear, open treble now, with maybe just a slight lack in the bottom end - quite the reverse to what they were previously.  If you read my previous posts on my disappointment of these cans, I can hardly believe the transformation they have undergone now, along with the damping mod inside the housing.  Also, they are supremely comfortable with all that padding on and look pretty cool as well!

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #958 of 1,522
Followed this thread for a bit. Got a set of s400 from amazon. I opened them up and used electrical tape on inside of cup and filled enclosure with polyfil (small amount). Taped the front of enclosure where ports are and cover 2 of 3 ports. Sounds is a real good. Mids are right up front, tight bass and just enough treble. Thanks!

HM5 pads will be here soon and will see how that effects anything.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #959 of 1,522
Too much padding inside can make the mids congested .
I recommend leave at least one port open as well as engineers have designed it probably for more than just the bass..
I will test My suspicions out & see how bass port affects the mids as mine are slightly congested.
Edit:
The greatest benefit was internal damping which cleared up the upper mids and brought up the trebles and clarity.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #960 of 1,522
Quote:
Too much padding inside can make the mids congested .
I recommend leave at least one port open as well as engineers have designed it probably for more than just the bass..
I will test My suspicions out & see how bass port affects the mids as mine are slightly congested.
Edit:
The greatest benefit was internal damping which cleared up the upper mids and brought up the trebles and clarity.

Yes. I tried different amounts of polyfil and think I have found a good mix. It got a little tedious screwing and unscrewing. But I feel like I pushed the vocals a bit forward and tightened the bass response. I think I may even leave all the bass ports open... does open the phones up more but decreases bass a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back