The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #901 of 1,522
Boy !  is Sfwalcer back !
tongue_smile.gif

...I worry for you Bro !
confused_face.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #902 of 1,522
Hi guys,

I've just received a pair of these, bought out of curiosity after all the praise on here.  First impressions were quite disappointing.  They have a very coloured sound, with vocals recessed and unrealistic, lack of treble and a hollow and uncontrolled bass.  I'm leaving them burning for a while with my metal folder on random very loud.  I hope things clean up quite a lot, but I can't imagine they'll change that much.  They do look nice in white though. I'll update when I can!

Great forum though, keep up the good work people!

Matt 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #903 of 1,522
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've just received a pair of these, bought out of curiosity after all the praise on here.  First impressions were quite disappointing.  They have a very coloured sound, with vocals recessed and unrealistic, lack of treble and a hollow and uncontrolled bass.  I'm leaving them burning for a while with my metal folder on random very loud.  I hope things clean up quite a lot, but I can't imagine they'll change that much.  They do look nice in white though. I'll update when I can!

Matt 

A damping mod with cotton or something else on the inside of the housing definitely removes some resonance and controls the bass. If there was any single mod to do, I'd suggest that one. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #904 of 1,522
Quote:
I received my HM5 pads today. I do not have the O-Rings, so I attached them by putting them over the stock pads and securing them a bit with electrical tape. I noticed that there was a definite increase to the treble. To compensate, I re-applied the tape over the vents, reducing the bass and treble a bit. The overall comfort is significantly higher with the new HM5 pads. The sound signature is still a bit warm and bass-tilted, but it is a very nice sounding tonality. 

I also taped an old headphone pad to the top of the headband. This makes it significantly softer.

How many hours do you have on them? Just curious because it took a lot of burning in before the treble on mine evened out.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #908 of 1,522
Quote:
  1. sfwalcer
  2. Master Troll

biggrin.gif

Did you put that or the admin?

Let me blow your mind Rick. I AM THE ADMIN!!! hoho

Go ahead and try to put that in yourself, bet you can't do it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I will be getting these for a test run, they are beautiful in white and therefore I can offload on the wife after boredom seeps in.

+1 on those white beauties, and flawless plan btw.
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #909 of 1,522
Quote:
Hi guys,

Matt 

That's exactly what I thought when I bought them. It all changes with my tape dampening mod. (Still don't like the mid-range but he!! they're $27!)

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #913 of 1,522
Quote:
Let me blow your mind Rick. I AM THE ADMIN!!! hoho

Go ahead and try to put that in yourself, bet you can't do it.
bigsmile_face.gif

+1 on those white beauties, and flawless plan btw.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, we know who has the white beauties.....the master troll......yahahahaha!

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #915 of 1,522
Quote:

That's exactly what I thought when I bought them. It all changes with my tape dampening mod. (Still don't like the mid-range but he!! they're $27!)

I've done the Q-tip mod, which worked a treat on balancing out the bass to the treble.  I also taped over the 3 holes and notches on the outside of the driver cover, but I can't really tell if that's made any difference.  I have burned about 10 hours in on them now and they seem a lot better than my first impressions, but aside from the Q-Tip mod, that could well be my brain adjusting to the timbre.

Is that the tape dampening mod that I have already done?

They are good for the money (but they were £27 for me, which is more than $27).  Still, they are good with dance and pop stuff, just not stuff that needs a realistic presentation of timbre.  Orchestral strings sound small and distant on these cans, which is the biggest gripe for me.  I like the bass.  It has extension and punch that belies their price, even though it is flabby and somewhat indistinct, with very little definition in the sub bass frequencies.  Still, pretty good for the price, I just wish they were more open and revealing up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back