The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #676 of 1,522
Quote:
Thanks Ghost !! I had been lurking around and this thing of beauty finally landed( I was also shaken up by the costpi fiasco, but my bank refunded)

Sounds amazing....GF is jealous ..

Thanks,

Syd

You're most welcome, ...now get your GF a pair or else you'll not get any candy from her !

Quote:
Haha funny thing I was doing a quick comparison with my brothers HM3's just a couple hours back.
The HM3 is more bright; less bass hitting, and treble and highs are a tad bit higher, can be piercing if you have sensitive ears.
These HA-S400's on the other hand are warmer, and have a good amount of bass with stock pads, no mods. The mids are just a tad bit receded. HA-S400's have less clarity and a smaller sound stage than the HM3's from what I remember.
I like to think of it as HA-S400 being more "new gen" with sleeker design, better portability and a bit more bass with the sacrifice of some clarity which the HM3's have.

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #677 of 1,522
Quote:

You're most welcome, ...now get your GF a pair or else you'll not get any candy from her !

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.[size=11.0pt]I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it. I am in the 100 hour mark and the improvement (after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") isn't subtle at all. Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).[/size]

[size=11.0pt]I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and [/size][size=11.0pt](after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") [/size][size=11.0pt]the improvement from out of box [/size][size=11.0pt] isn't subtle at all [/size][size=11.0pt]. Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).[/size]

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #678 of 1,522
[SIZE=11pt]I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt](after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode")[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]the improvement from out of box[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]isn't subtle at all[/SIZE] [SIZE=11pt]. Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).[/SIZE]

.....IMO these little beauties need Baja miles to experience their true glory.....I pushed them to their limits and I am reaping the rewards!!!.....

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #679 of 1,522
doing the either the change in pads or stuffing the pads really totally fixed the mids for me.. Huge difference! Also I am experiencing opposite as these headphones have given me more forward mid detail than almost anything except my sony earbuds(the MH1 ) And those are so well balanced in the mids to treble that it stopped me from getting the jvc70 earbuds or any others. I can only assume the s500 will be better yet in a different more U shaped sound. I plan to perform a frankenstien driver transplant mod once I get them haha.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #680 of 1,522
double post from stupid 3g haha.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #681 of 1,522
Quote:

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.

Haha, your right Its only about 60-70 hours burn in by now. If the mids come back up, that's enough to make it a great phone. If the clarity for whatever reason also improves, then this is a really really good headphone. I hope the 200hrs burn in does exactly what you claim it does, because the mids and clarity is really the only thing that makes it a bit cheaper sounding than the HM3's (incredible $40 headphone).

*edit
I just took another listen and WOW these fluctuate so much over the burn in. The "S" sound from female vocals is piercing like never before? I really hope it evens out after I reach the required 200 hrs.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #682 of 1,522
Quote:

[size=11pt]I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and [/size][size=11pt](after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") [/size][size=11pt]the improvement from out of box [/size][size=11pt]isn't subtle at all [/size][size=11pt]. Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).[/size]

Quote:

Haha, your right Its only about 60-70 hours burn in by now. If the mids come back up, that's enough to make it a great phone. If the clarity for whatever reason also improves, then this is a really really good headphone. I hope the 200hrs burn in does exactly what you claim it does, because the mids and clarity is really the only thing that makes it a bit cheaper sounding than the HM3's (incredible $40 headphone).

*edit
I just took another listen and WOW these fluctuate so much over the burn in. The "S" sound from female vocals is piercing like never before? I really hope it evens out after I reach the required 200 hrs.

They'll only start to settle down around the 200+ hrs mark, so please be patience to wait until then before you judge them.
The mids on mine not only came forward but came with extra texture in the vocals.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #684 of 1,522
Gost i had a question about the s400 and the s500 
im about to buy one or the other depending on what you say 
if i get the s400 should i burn them and/or get pads Ect.
if i get the s500 should i burn them and/or get pads ect.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #685 of 1,522
Quote:
Gost i had a question about the s400 and the s500 
im about to buy one or the other depending on what you say 
if i get the s400 should i burn them and/or get pads Ect.
if i get the s500 should i burn them and/or get pads ect.

Burn in first, than look for pads for your music preference.

I tried a few pads but always went back to the stock. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #690 of 1,522
Quote:
S500 to me is a little more complete, and has bigger bass.

+1. I find the S500 more tridimensional and more detailed in the mids. Even they are way behind the burn in process compared the S400 I like them a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back