The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Nov 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #631 of 1,522
Hey guys! Help me to choose a good headphones. Are these S400 so damn good for that price? Should I consider any other variants? How are they compared to ATH Sj33 or sj11, Porta Pro, Akg k404, Beyerdynamic DTX 710, Beyerdynamic DTX 300, Akg k511. Please, help me to choose a BEST!

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #633 of 1,522
WOW I just got my HM5 pads and put them over the stock pads.

They look amazing, they are now the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned, and they also sound PHENOMENAL.  The treble and high mids come forward a lot in a good way.  The treble is really textured and sparkling!

I have never heard a more exciting sound.  I let my little brother borrow these for a week and then I let him try them on after the mod and his eyes immediately lit up by the improved sound.

I am comparing to my FXT90 and these are really a lot better.  That was not something I could say before this mod.  Pics coming soon!

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #634 of 1,522
Quote:
WOW I just got my HM5 pads and put them over the stock pads.

They look amazing, they are now the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned, and they also sound PHENOMENAL.  The treble and high mids come forward a lot in a good way.  The treble is really textured and sparkling!

I have never heard a more exciting sound.  I let my little brother borrow these for a week and then I let him try them on after the mod and his eyes immediately lit up by the improved sound.

I am comparing to my FXT90 and these are really a lot better.  That was not something I could say before this mod.  Pics coming soon!

Cool! Looking forward to the pics. Cute (and others) really dig the HM5 pads on the S500 as well. I'm very happy with the ath pleathers on the s500, but am looking forward to trying out the ath velours (once I get them) on the s500 (with the "tape over the vents for more bass" mod). But, I am also getting more and more interested in these HM5 franken-pads lol!

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #635 of 1,522
Mini review:
My JVCS400s with HM5 pads over stock pads.  I think it looks great!!

Guys, this is definitely my favorite headphone sound now.  The difference this pad mod made is night and day.  This is the HM5s over the stock pads.  I stitched them together at the back so that the HM5 would cling to the stock pad.

The bass is still there but the midbass has been toned down, and sounds a LOT more natural.  The treble and mids come forward and the smooth treble sparkles with a LOT of definition and refinement.  It is still warm, but doesn't sound bloated at all...  The note thickness is just perfect, it's clearly a little embellished with more midbass but it's not half as apparent as it used to be.

I think this is the sound that every consumer headphone aspires to be: warm with great sub-bass, lush but smooth and effortless mids.  Dare I say the sound signature reminds me to the LCD2 on a Red Wine amp??

But there's more: I wondered for a little while, what was making these sound so different and good, and I realized that it's SOUNDSTAGE.  This is some seriously good soundstaging coming out of an otherwise intimate-sounding can, and it's like someone opened the windows for some fresh air.  It's better than the FA-003 (HM5) was.  Very enveloping and 3D on good tracks.  Instrument separation is also really good.

I think the S400 has demonstrated that its drivers are clearly very capable, the sound across the frequency range is extremely textured and detailed.

Comfort is now 6/5.  Comfort alone makes these pads worth it.  Most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, more than the HD555 and the FA-003.  The HM5 pads are real pillows.

I just can't say enough good things about this!  I haven't been this excited about cans since I got my first PX100s, haha.

Sound, Comfort, Looks are all A++ now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #636 of 1,522
how is isolation with stock pads? ok for public trans?

pls be honest wih your responses, i just want a straight answer. if they're poor at isolating so be it.

e: also if you have any good suggestions for a well isolating portable under 50 if possible that fits a very large head it would be appreciated!

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #637 of 1,522
Quote:
Mini review:

Guys, this is definitely my favorite headphone sound now.  The difference this pad mod made is night and day.  This is the HM5s over the stock pads.  I stitched them together at the back so that the HM5 would cling to the stock pad.

The bass is still there but the midbass has been toned down, and sounds a LOT more natural.  The treble and mids come forward and the smooth treble sparkles with a LOT of definition and refinement.  It is still warm, but doesn't sound bloated at all...  The note thickness is just perfect, it's clearly a little embellished with more midbass but it's not half as apparent as it used to be.

I think this is the sound that every consumer headphone aspires to be: warm with great sub-bass, lush but smooth and effortless mids.  Dare I say the sound signature reminds me to the LCD2 on a Red Wine amp??

But there's more: I wondered for a little while, what was making these sound so different and good, and I realized that it's SOUNDSTAGE.  This is some seriously good soundstaging coming out of an otherwise intimate-sounding can, and it's like someone opened the windows for some fresh air.  It's better than the FA-003 (HM5) was.  Very enveloping and 3D on good tracks.  Instrument separation is also really good.

I think the S400 has demonstrated that its drivers are clearly very capable, the sound across the frequency range is extremely textured and detailed.

Comfort is now 6/5.  Comfort alone makes these pads worth it.  Most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, more than the HD555 and the FA-003.  The HM5 pads are real pillows.

I just can't say enough good things about this!  I haven't been this excited about cans since I got my first PX100s, haha.

Those look great!

I am just waiting for somebody to sacrifice a pair and make them open back to see how they sound 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #639 of 1,522
Quote:
Mini review:

WoW looking good there, these HM5 pads seems to be a great combo with not just the S500s but the S400s as well hmmmmm, dang looks like i need to cop a pair ASAP!!! That 5% coupon still good? LMAO. 

Quote:
how is isolation with stock pads? ok for public trans?
pls be honest wih your responses, i just want a straight answer. if they're poor at isolating so be it.
e: also if you have any good suggestions for a well isolating portable under 50 if possible that fits a very large head it would be appreciated!

These don't isolate well at all, when the music is off you can hear everything clear as day, BUT when the music is on it isolates pretty well. You don't hear much around you when the music is on a good loud level. For what it's worth it makes you really focused on the tunes and not your surroundings. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #640 of 1,522
Quote:
I made mine semi open with 4 port holes per cup. Sounded excellent.

hey mosshorn, since you mentioned one of your S400 drivers got destroyed from your little semi-open operation, I might be able to make good on the agreement. Doc might trade me his S400s, so those might end up going toward your experimentation.  Just waiting for doc to give me the latest news and we might finally get this thing in the bag. Will let you know soon, but looks like you already had tons of fun without my contribution.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #642 of 1,522
Quote:
hey mosshorn, since you mentioned one of your S400 drivers got destroyed from your little semi-open operation, I might be able to make good on the agreement. Doc might trade me his S400s, so those might end up going toward your experimentation.  Just waiting for doc to give me the latest news and we might finally get this thing in the bag. Will let you know soon, but looks like you already had tons of fun without my contribution.
biggrin.gif

That would be awesome, thank you a ton! ^_^ I haven't got to try much more than the 4 hole as of late (actually finishing up my ps1 CDP tomorrow), but I was gonna keep going up in holes until it was fully open. The only issue I see from it being totally open is flabby bass, but I got a bunch of T50RP mats that I can use to help with that 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #643 of 1,522
Quote:

That would be awesome, thank you a ton! ^_^ I haven't got to try much more than the 4 hole as of late (actually finishing up my ps1 CDP tomorrow), but I was gonna keep going up in holes until it was fully open. The only issue I see from it being totally open is flabby bass, but I got a bunch of T50RP mats that I can use to help with that 
biggrin.gif

I need DAT BASS to kill meng!!! Been messing with my S500s again and did the tape mod in full, my god that BASS is crazy. LoL Maybe you can tape up the one open slot on these S400s or add like a felt/ tape bass disk on your open S400s to see how the bass would improve. 

If the trade is able to go through with doc, I am gonna tell him to send the thing straight to you and let you have fun with them. BUT as our agreement went, I want them sexy open S400s back once you do something magical to them. heeeee

So get to work!!! LoL

Nice, I noticed you live in the states so that would make things much easier. ha
beerchug.gif

P.S. Get Drilling!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #644 of 1,522
Quote:
Are the HM5 pads a good improvement for softer rock music like <snip> The Tragically Hip? I might get a setup like that for my parents this year...

The Hip. Your parents have very good taste!  But that ain't soft music.. that's rock and roll
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back