The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #361 of 1,522
I loved these out of the box, especially the BASS. God I loved how the bass sounded out of the box <3

But now I feel that the mids are a bit too forward and are making them sound a bit muffled. Ordered a pair of the AKG earpads as I believe it has to do with the stock earpads, since they've become a lot more comfortable/softer since they arrived.

But yeah I'd definitely recommend them for the price. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #362 of 1,522
Quote:
I loved these out of the box, especially the BASS. God I loved how the bass sounded out of the box <3

But now I feel that the mids are a bit too forward and are making them sound a bit muffled. Ordered a pair of the AKG earpads as I believe it has to do with the stock earpads, since they've become a lot more comfortable/softer since they arrived.

But yeah I'd definitely recommend them for the price. 

There's no such things as TOO forward mids ^^ altough I wonder about the subbass, feels like I'd want S400 mids but S500 bass, how much of a difference is it?

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #363 of 1,522

Two packages arrived at my house today and I really meant to listen to the S400 first, but I couldn't resist the lure of the LCD2.  No, I'm not going to be doing a comparison of the LCD2 and the S400, but it's just to show what the little guy was up against.  This is just my first impression straight out of the box.

The best thing about the S400 is the bass--it's pumped up a bit, but surprisingly detailed, tight, and fast.  Don't look for any sub-bass extension, but the bass is unexpectedly satisfying from these little cans.  The midrange is serviceable, but lacks detail and has a touch of harshness.  The saving grace is the bass is tight enough not to muddy the mids--a problem I've noticed with other bass-enhanced phones.  The treble resolves at about the level of the mids, and seems a bit rolled off or smeared.  Overall, the S400 has a fairly balanced sound.

For $25, you're getting a competent pair of drivers with no defects I'd consider a show stopper.  My biggest issue is the lack of ergonomics.  The pads are small and stiff--I found the S400 ranged between uncomfortable and tolerable.  The headband foam is also stiff and does a poor job of distributing the weight of the headphone (fortunately low).  The S400 cries out for some comfort mods or a full driver transplant.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #364 of 1,522
Quote:

Two packages arrived at my house today and I really meant to listen to the S400 first, but I couldn't resist the lure of the LCD2.  No, I'm not going to be doing a comparison of the LCD2 and the S400, but it's just to show what the little guy was up against.  This is just my first impression straight out of the box.

The best thing about the S400 is the bass--it's pumped up a bit, but surprisingly detailed, tight, and fast.  Don't look for any sub-bass extension, but the bass is unexpectedly satisfying from these little cans.  The midrange is serviceable, but lacks detail and has a touch of harshness.  The saving grace is the bass is tight enough not to muddy the mids--a problem I've noticed with other bass-enhanced phones.  The treble resolves at about the level of the mids, and seems a bit rolled off or smeared.  Overall, the S400 has a fairly balanced sound.

For $25, you're getting a competent pair of drivers with no defects I'd consider a show stopper.  My biggest issue is the lack of ergonomics.  The pads are small and stiff--I found the S400 ranged between uncomfortable and tolerable.  The headband foam is also stiff and does a poor job of distributing the weight of the headphone (fortunately low).  The S400 cries out for some comfort mods or a full driver transplant.

Yup, that struck me about them S400 too, will patiently wait for your re-assessment after they have gone thru 200hrs+ of burn-in.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #365 of 1,522
Quote:

I hope this is not the case for me, cuz the headband of my S500s are so comfy and the entire unite is light as a feather. I was hoping the foam used on the headband were of soft material but it seems not the case. LIESSSS GHOST LIESSS!!! ha I am getting my sets tomorrow, and I got all my pitchforks and ghost buster gear ready for a fun ghost hunt if these cheapos are anything less than AMAZING. 
biggrin.gif

Dayum the white ones look sexy, can't wait, HYPED!!!

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #368 of 1,522
Quote:
I hope this is not the case for me, cuz the headband of my S500s are so comfy and the entire unite is light as a feather. I was hoping the foam used on the headband were of soft material but it seems not the case. LIESSSS GHOST LIESSS!!! ha I am getting my sets tomorrow, and I got all my pitchforks and ghost buster gear ready for a fun ghost hunt if these cheapos are anything less than AMAZING. 
biggrin.gif

Dayum the white ones look sexy, can't wait, HYPED!!!

Yeah !  ...Get ready !   ...Halloween's just round the corner, you'll need all your gears when I send my ghostie friends, pay you a Treat or Threat Trick visit !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, the harder foam on my S400 didn't bother me as much as the harder pads on my ears but I can see how it could be painful for you if you don't have any hair up there!  ...if you know what I mean ?
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #370 of 1,522
Quote:

Eagerly awaiting your assessment of them out of the box.

Hey!  where's Perry  Richdohc ? 
biggrin.gif

Present.... reading.. watching.. waiting............................  bored .... waiting....

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #371 of 1,522
Alright folks, just got my 3 sets of S400s in today. Opened up two sets, one white and another black. Gave the white one a test drive 1st, the look/ color is more girly as compared to the the black ones, so you pretty bois will love these. ha The black one looks a lot better in real life and is better looking on me.  

On to the sound...the white sets sound good on open box, MUCH less veil than my open box set of S500s. Everything sounds musical and fun unlike my initial impressions of the S500s, although the bass is just a little bit flabby and thin. All the spectrums were nicely represented, but the mids are definitely the central focus on these S400s. The highs and lows are no slouch either, therefore that classic HD carbon nanotube signature sound is present for sure in these S400s upon open box.  

Comfort wise these are not bad at all, the foam on the headbands are not really that hard, I would say they are medium in softness which is perfect for me. These S400s are even lighter, as Ghost has mentioned than the S500s and for me it sit better/ feels lighter as well. The foams on the headband makes it less loose on the head, which is nice.  DAMN IT, I WAS SO READY FOR A GHOST HUNT. You got lucky this time ghost, but not for long....
cool.gif

After a good amount of time with my white beautys, I then auditioned my black set. WOW, I was floored by these black ones with the 1st song I played from my ipod nano 4th gen. It was at the same volume/ same album as I was playing with my white sets but the sound on my black S400s were more BANGIN' for some reason. LoL Then I noticed that the clamp on these black sets were tighter and the headband was more stiff as compared to the white sets. This tighter clamp push the sound wayyy more forward; bigger bass, closer mids/ highs, hence the WOW experience with the black ones.

These S400s definitely lived up to their hype for me for sure. They are so musical and fun to listen to, cuz it has a very intimate sound and combined with that deadly carbon nanotube HD sound signature WOW just WOW.  All music genres sound great, from pop/ hiphop to acoustic etc these S400s make all of them sound "right" and do them justice as is the case with the S500s and JVC's other carbon nanotube gear.  So for $25 bucks these S400s are a no brainer buy cuz they sound spectacular to me.  

edit: Forgot to mention that there is zero sibilance/ harsh highs on these just like the S500s, they are as smooth as butter. /initial impressions.  
CNT FTW!!! 
beerchug.gif

deadhorse.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #374 of 1,522
Interesting note about the headband pressure.  Wonder if this is something that can be fixed/altered, as it's something we'll probably all want to do that if it makes that much of a difference and all white pairs are subject to it.  

Iv'e got 2 pairs or white that should be here any day now, so i'll surely be playing with the headbands.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #375 of 1,522
Quote:
Interesting note about the headband pressure.  Wonder if this is something that can be fixed/altered, as it's something we'll probably all want to do that if it makes that much of a difference and all white pairs are subject to it.  

Iv'e got 2 pairs or white that should be here any day now, so i'll surely be playing with the headbands.

My white s400 clamp alot tighter than both of my s500s.  The s400s certainly sound more laid backed and balanced than the s500s.   Both sound awesome though.   Just listened to Alexandra Burke's Hallelujah on the s400s so amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back