The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,501 of 1,522
After having owned and listened to the Sennheiser HD 650, Hifiman HE-500, Audeze EL-8 open, Hifiman HE-400i, Philips Fidelio L2 and a few other expensive, I can say that the tonality of the S-400 isn't any worse than either of those headphones, and is on the same level as the best.

Sure, they may do things like separation, soundstage and overall detail retrieval better, but the S-400 probably has the most enjoyable timbre. It also does background vocals detail extremely well, better than all of those headphones, but those headphones resolve more overall detail.

They truly are a $30 wonder, if you can get past the bad comfort. Oh, and I recommend the ATH pads on post #1497 for the US version soundwise, since they sound too boomy with the stock pads or Akg K81 pads. You don't need to change pads with the Japanese version for the best sound.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,502 of 1,522
Listening to these again, with a cotton pad in the back cup and ATH SJ5 pads.

After all these years of owning multiple headphones, some way more expensive than these, I’m still surprised how good they sound.

Their timbre is excellent. Not only for the price, but it competes with stuff I’ve heard up to $500. The texture and dynamics they put out is WAY beyond their price point.

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,504 of 1,522
I can confidently say, with a few mods and careful positioning on my ears, these have timbre up there with the HD650.

Yes the bass is still one notish, but after the mods it’s non-intrusive and tight.

I have the HD650, Beyerdynamic DT150, Philips L2 (modded), JVC HA S680. I’ve had: Audeze EL-8 Open, Oppo PM-3, Hifiman HE-500 and a lot more 200 - 400 dollar headphones.

Only the Sennheiser HD650 and 540 Gold are on the same level as these in timbre, though the HD540 is very bass light

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,505 of 1,522
I haven’t seen this mod discussed in this or the S500/680 threads, but it really improves the transient response and gives a blacker background (more refined smoother sound)

Remove the red pin that is attached to the driver magnet (seen in this picture) and put 1 layer of ducttape and some cotton in the housing.

1458EA2E-82C6-4599-9C64-57E4CB8DAF70.jpeg

I did a couple of more mods, like removing the shiny plastic ring where 3 vents open up in the cup, making them sound a bit more refined, and putting dried alcohol swabs glued to the housing where the earpads rest on, for maximum reductions of reflections.

Coupled that with some ATH SJ5 pads, I feel like I got the best out of these CNT drivers, and I enjoy them more than my HD650. Yes the HD650 hass better technicalities, but I don’t feel like I’m missing out timbre wise with these mods, and the bass on these is way better than the soft bass of the HD650.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,506 of 1,522
Damn my pair died. It's the cable but I don't have skills to repair and the pads were totally shot anyway. They're not the most comfortable but damn do I love the sound.
I've replaced these with a pair of Shure SRH440 and I think the JVC S400 are better. I'm probably gonna buy a new pair but they're more expensive now :frowning2:

Is there a "modern" alternative to these in the same form factor (on-ear)?

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,507 of 1,522
Damn my pair died. It's the cable but I don't have skills to repair and the pads were totally shot anyway. They're not the most comfortable but damn do I love the sound.
I've replaced these with a pair of Shure SRH440 and I think the JVC S400 are better. I'm probably gonna buy a new pair but they're more expensive now :frowning2:

Is there a "modern" alternative to these in the same form factor (on-ear)?
Have you considered JVC S680? It's still compact, much more comfortable and better sounding:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here.690493/

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,508 of 1,522
Have you considered JVC S680? It's still compact, much more comfortable and better sounding:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here.690493/
I would say it’s better sounding with some foam dampening mods and without burn in, if you like the smooth rounded notes and treble of the JVC HA-S400.

After burn-in, the attack gets more edgy and sound gets a lot brighter, so much so that I don’t want to listen to them, while I still listen to my S400.

In terms of on ear, there’s the Creative Aurvana Live which is a bit brighter as well, but the treble is smooth in texture like the S400 and S680 pre burn-in.

Otherwise I don’t really know of much options. I tried the Sony ZX310 for a few hours today, and while the signature was relatively similar to the S400, it just didn’t have the smoothness and refinement of the S400.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #1,510 of 1,522
Anyone compare the S400 to the ATH-Pro7X? In the US both can be had for about the same price($50-$55 shipped) on ebay.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,513 of 1,522
Anyone here that has a Japanese import version for sale?
I just recently bought some Japanese HAS400 and HAS680 in this November.
Although a friend of mine supposedly bought the las HAS400, I currently see some available in amazon jp at $17usd, so you may run for some.

Returning to the topic. I find the sound kinda muddy. It gets much better on my fiio btr3k but I get the best result using some EQ in Asus Xonar U3 windows software. Basically, the muddiness comes from the 250-500hz band, so lowering it and increasing the others, gives me a much pleasant result.

With the S680 I find a sound closer to the Takstar GM200 and doesnt scream for EQ like the S400's, although I still get great results with another preset (where I only need to lower 250hz 50%).

Although I love the softness and punch of the bass, the S400 just can't reproduce sound below some hz, I believe its 80hz, but not sure... and it feels kinda weird having this handicaped bass.

Nanotubes are very "mysterious" material and this headphones are more like a way to sip a wine to clean the palate, at least to me.

BTW, I havent read the 100 pages. Any quick tricks on these ?

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #1,514 of 1,522
I just recently bought some Japanese HAS400 and HAS680 in this November.
Although a friend of mine supposedly bought the las HAS400, I currently see some available in amazon jp at $17usd, so you may run for some.

Returning to the topic. I find the sound kinda muddy. It gets much better on my fiio btr3k but I get the best result using some EQ in Asus Xonar U3 windows software. Basically, the muddiness comes from the 250-500hz band, so lowering it and increasing the others, gives me a much pleasant result.

With the S680 I find a sound closer to the Takstar GM200 and doesnt scream for EQ like the S400's, although I still get great results with another preset (where I only need to lower 250hz 50%).

Although I love the softness and punch of the bass, the S400 just can't reproduce sound below some hz, I believe its 80hz, but not sure... and it feels kinda weird having this handicaped bass.

Nanotubes are very "mysterious" material and this headphones are more like a way to sip a wine to clean the palate, at least to me.

BTW, I havent read the 100 pages. Any quick tricks on these ?

No tricks, S400 is a great headphone in its price range, that performs much better than expected - but S680 is on another level.
And Takstar GM200 is on another level compared to S680 :jecklinsmile:
GM200 is a perfect basshead headphone, which I strongly prefer to such well regarded basshead cans as Fostex TH900 (1700$) and Sennheiser HD820 (2000$).

The only way up is Takstar Pro 82 v2, which has perfect tonality (paired with FIIO BTR3K) and even better bass quality than GM200 (but less quantity of course).
Be careful, there are several different versions sold around, check the first post in the Pro 82 thread for a link to a guaranteed v2 and a 5$ coupon:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iew-impressions-and-discussion-thread.849965/

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,515 of 1,522
No tricks, S400 is a great headphone in its price range, that performs much better than expected - but S680 is on another level.
And Takstar GM200 is on another level compared to S680 :jecklinsmile:
GM200 is a perfect basshead headphone, which I strongly prefer to such well regarded basshead cans as Fostex TH900 (1700$) and Sennheiser HD820 (2000$).

The only way up is Takstar Pro 82 v2, which has perfect tonality (paired with FIIO BTR3K) and even better bass quality than GM200 (but less quantity of course).
Be careful, there are several different versions sold around, check the first post in the Pro 82 thread for a link to a guaranteed v2 and a 5$ coupon:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iew-impressions-and-discussion-thread.849965/
The Takstars have a different sound signature altogether than the JVC's. Plus their timbre is a lot different from what I've read - more revealing, less smoothed off.

So it's a matter of preference, even if the Takstars are technically better, they may be too revealing for less than stellar recordings.

One mod you can do to make the S400 more balanced and refined, is remove the pin on the backside of the magnet and put 1 layer of toilet paper in the cup.

This should improve dynamic range, reduce reflections and lower the lower mids a little.

I've modded mine to where I prefer them to everything I've had (up to €400) except a modded HD650. A modded CAL would probably beat them as well, but I think bass extension will be better on the S400.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back