The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #46 of 3,535
I threw them away:sob:

You threw away a $400 + earphone away just like that, without trying to have it fixed? Mochill, have you ever considered adopt a Chi-town dude (who is probably older than you)? lol

Because you seem to be rolling in the dough... You can be my earphones father. I'm just saying .... lol

beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #48 of 3,535
A well written letter to JVC fully explaining how and what happened would probably get you a brand new set free of charge. Big companies like humility. I once left my Motorola Flip Phone on top of my car and only saw it in my rear view mirror on the freeway. I went back around and found it (risking life and limb) It was mangled, but worked. I mailed it to Motorola and told them what a bonehead I was and told them to repair and charge me whatever it took - I deserved it..

Two days later I had a brand new one Fedexed to me - No Charge.

You never know.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #49 of 3,535
I threw them away:sob:

blink.gif
 --> 
confused_face_2.gif
 --> 
eek.gif
 --> 
angry_face.gif
 --> 
frown.gif

This is what just happened when I read this. My soul was crushed. If i was near you, I would seriously dig in your trash.

Next time you have the urge to do that, let me know. I'll happy pay for you to ship them to me. Hell, I'd pay someone to go find them at this point. *Le Sigh*. 

My heart literally hurts. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #50 of 3,535

blink.gif
 --> 
confused_face_2.gif
 --> 
eek.gif
 --> 
angry_face.gif
 --> 
frown.gif

This is what just happened when I read this. My soul was crushed. If i was near you, I would seriously dig in your trash.

Next time you have the urge to do that, let me know. I'll happy pay for you to ship them to me. Hell, I'd pay someone to go find them at this point. *Le Sigh*. 

beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #51 of 3,535

blink.gif
 --> 
confused_face_2.gif
 --> 
eek.gif
 --> 
angry_face.gif
 --> 
frown.gif

+1
beerchug.gif

Terribly wasteful. Sure, I mean, people can technically do what they want with their belongings, but it's a perfect example of our valueless, throw-away society. Don't look at repair options, don't give to someone else to try fix if you can't be bothered; just bin it. Just several hundred dollars' worth of wood, plastic and metal for the landfills.

mad.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #54 of 3,535

thanks for that review Dsnuts. after hearing your thoughts on how big these sound, i'm pretty much sold on them. if you don't mind, i have a couple of questions please: how do movies and games sound on them? do you know how the soundstage and bass compare to the sennheiser ie 80 or sony xb90?

also, could you please tell me a good place to order the fx850? thank you again.

Never owned the IE80s. But from what I gather those would have a similar sound presentation to the FX850. Compared to the XB90s. Stage is wider and sound is fuller more balanced better on the FX850. The XB90s are known for their sub bass and the FX850 can compete there as well. I loved the depth of sound on the XB90 and I think that is where their strengths lies , however matched against the FX850 SQ level drops off fairly quick. the XB90 does not have the timbre, treble or the detail of the FX850. FX850 is much easier to drive than the XB90.. The sub bass of the the FX850 has just as much authority and does have a touch more mid bass over the XB90. A bigger punch but is actually balanced better in the bass region over the XB90..Way better more even fuller mids and the highs are on a different level as well. The FX850 represents a complete and total upgrade on the XB90. But this should be the case given the cost differences. Not really a fair comparison actually.  Will report back when I tried out some movies and games using them.. I suspect they will be excellent for both..

I'd love to add a dynamic to compliment the BAs of my 1964 ears customs. Pretty sure these are exactly what I'm looking for.

Now thr question: Will these come down in price over the next 2-3 months, and by how much would you estimate before settling?

If they were in the $250 region I wouldn't even hesitate, but around $375 is a bit harder to swallow.

I took a gamble on these for the cost. These are more than worth your money. I suspect these will go down to around $300-$320 in a month or two.  Maybe in a year they could go down to less than $300 but if they have the following like I think they will I can see these being sold at the $300 level for a while.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #56 of 3,535
I sent jvc a letter and hope for the best :sob:...and the garbage is next to my bed so I took the out of the garbage and kept them in case jvc want it back:sob:

Worst case is they offer up a discounted pair - we all thought a large, smelly man with a loud truck belching plumes of smoke had already carted them away.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #57 of 3,535
So I just took one of the cables off the housings.. I am certain upgraded Shure cables will work fine on these as long as you are careful and not pull a Mochill. Though to be honest I don't feel the need anytime soon to upgrade the already splendid sound from these. Plus the fact that what happened to mochill could happen to any one of us that try to install a different cable on here..Will definitely leave good enough alone..

Decided to take a little break from study so I can hear these again.. This was a mistake I need to get back to what I was doing. Can't study with these in the ear. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #58 of 3,535
Good luck Mochill

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #60 of 3,535
  So I just took one of the cables off the housings.. I am certain upgraded Shure cables will work fine on these as long as you are careful and not pull a Mochill. Though to be honest I don't feel the need anytime soon to upgrade the already splendid sound from these. Plus the fact that what happened to mochill could happen to any one of us that try to install a different cable on here..Will definitely leave good enough alone..

Decided to take a little break from study so I can hear these again.. This was a mistake I need to get back to what I was doing. Can't study with these in the ear. 

Excellent review Dsnuts, good luck with your studies.
I had promised myself no more earphones until I at least listen to the audio technica ATH-IM03's that I had ordered and am waiting for. May not have such luck.

Mochill, so sorry for your mishap. Sounds like something I would do.
Good warning for the rest of us.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back