The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,621 of 4,956

that's why I like on ears! they aren't too bulky to take around.

but my ears work with on ears soo that's okay, but when i do my hair and such or if its warm outside  i tend to just use iems.

They're too bulky to bring around for me, but that's just me haha. On-ears never worked for me partially due to glasses, but I just don't find pads resting on my outer ears comfortable in most cases. I think the only time I felt I was okay with it was with one of Bose's QC on-ears cuz they used some extremely soft foam in their pads. Most on-ear pads I find too hard. So for me, it's always been full headphone or IEMs. Plus, my head really hates leather, can't wear the stuff for more than half an hour. IEMs work very well for my portable use, but universal shells can't be too bulky. I have somewhat smaller outer ears which unfortunately also made the VSD3S feel just a tad bit on the large side, but they still would be okay in my ears for a couple hours at a time. Took them out for like 10-minute breaks every so often and it was back to enjoying the music. Shame the cable relief isn't so great on the jack end, they really should redesign that for their future models.

Update: the Sound Intone E6 I ordered that had its shell shaped inspired by VSonic (as far as I can tell) has shipped and is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, but I won't have time to listen to them or give impressions until at least October.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4,622 of 4,956
ye on ears do get comfort issues for long listening time. im not into on ears myself, and i do like my earphones, but if sound is so much better i am ok fine with having one around house. full size headphones do something different, their sound is bigger than earphones. i do like both really, but mostly earphones ofcourse, they are so much smaller and easier to carry around.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,623 of 4,956
My VSD3S died last week (problem at the plug, for the second time).

I'm looking for a replacement that keeps the strengths of the VSD3S, with a less V-shaped signature - less recessed mids, more balanced, and close to neutral. I'd like to keep the cost within 150 USD. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,624 of 4,956

I'm looking for a replacement that keeps the strengths of the VSD3S, with a less V-shaped signature - less recessed mids, more balanced, and close to neutral. I'd like to keep the cost within 150 USD. Does anyone have any recommendations?

You could check out the Soundmagic E80's. Although it's cheaper than your budget it fits the description and punches quite a bit above its price....

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #4,625 of 4,956
You could check out the Soundmagic E80's. Although it's cheaper than your budget it fits the description and punches quite a bit above its price....

The Soundmagic E80 is indeed on my shortlist - it's affordable, and seems to be very well-received. But I'm a little worried that it might be on the bass-light side. I have a pet peeve about IEMs that are described as sounding 'neutral' but also 'lacking body or fullness' in the low-end. What do you think about the E80's low-end presence and quality? Also, I owned an E30 several years ago, and found the top-end a bit too laid-back and lacking some extension. How does the E80 fare here?

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #4,626 of 4,956
I'm thinking about buy this earphone or the Pistons 3.0. I previously owned the VSD3S (Replaceable cable version) and it only lasted me 4 months before the right earpiece stopped working. I was just wondering whether the non replaceable cable version will last me longer than 4 months or if I'm better off getting the Pistons 3.0

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,627 of 4,956

I would say something comparable to the vsd3s I think is the audio technica im70 (its a bit more midbassy, the treble is a more laid back and smooth but the midrange is more in the forefront.

another possible alternative I would say is the Yamaha eph 100 (its an oldie but a good one) I got myself a pair and loving it. fun bassy sound, but the midrange is more liquid and clearer then the vsd3s, the treble is also nicely detailed without harshness (I wouldn't call it smooth though)
  I'm thinking about buy this earphone or the Pistons 3.0. I previously owned the VSD3S (Replaceable cable version) and it only lasted me 4 months before the right earpiece stopped working. I was just wondering whether the non replaceable cable version will last me longer than 4 months or if I'm better off getting the Pistons 3.0

I have both and I would say if your seeking more durability, then I would look towards the piston 3s, the cable is decently built, I think the fabric shealth will helps in terms of getting tugged and such, and its better relieved too.

the non detachable cable at least to my knowledge uses the same cable (just its fixed this time), they did not change the jack or really too much at all (its supposedly silver plated, but that was advertised as having better sonic performance as opposed to durability.

however the piston 3s don't isolate much at all, where as I found the vsd3s to be very impressive in that regard

the fit is more practical too on the pistons 3 (no earguides to fuss around with)

sonically its sorta on a similar sound signature

its more similar then different, the p3s are more midbassy with a more concentrated and aggressive punch, where as the vsd3s I find is warmer and slower ( a bit more mellow sounding in the bass), maybe a bit of "bloominess"

the midrange is more recessed on the pistons 3 which I find makes them "less natural?"

treble wise I would say its similar again, but the piston 3s I think is smoother and less edgy, both are missing that extra little bit of air

I'll have to a/b them more closely to be sure, but that's just my vague understanding of them, after owning both for several months (the vsd3s I think I had them for a year already 0.0).

still I think I would get another pair of the vsd3s if the quality control is the same as my first pair (they've been well taken  care of, haven't been tugged or yanked), but like some users stated the mmxc connectors is not very reassuring.

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #4,628 of 4,956
i love the vsd3s. dont really want to spend over 100 for an upgrade. lendmeurears is currently having a sale on vsd3/s certain colours for 52 Singapore dollars. should I just get a vsd3?( I already own vsd3s)

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4,629 of 4,956
I recently bought these with a silver non-detachable cable off Aliexpress.
I like the sound but they don't fit my small ears very well and I've also been having problem with noise. I can hear a buzzing sound with these iems in all the sources I connect it with which is really really annoying. Is the buzzing common or is it something I could bring up in dispute on Aliexpress or with Vsonic?

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #4,630 of 4,956
  I recently bought these with a silver non-detachable cable off Aliexpress.
I like the sound but they don't fit my small ears very well and I've also been having problem with noise. I can hear a buzzing sound with these iems in all the sources I connect it with which is really really annoying. Is the buzzing common or is it something I could bring up in dispute on Aliexpress or with Vsonic?

My small ears weren't super happy with the shell size either, so I feel ya. But they're definitely isn't supposed to be a buzzing sound. I'm assuming your idea of buzzing to be different than hiss as I wouldn't rate these among super sensitive IEMs so hiss wouldn't be surprising at times, but I wouldn't expect much from an average smartphone, just desktop amps mainly. You can probably take that up with Aliexpress or VSonic.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4,631 of 4,956

My small ears weren't super happy with the shell size either, so I feel ya. But they're definitely isn't supposed to be a buzzing sound. I'm assuming your idea of buzzing to be different than hiss as I wouldn't rate these among super sensitive IEMs so hiss wouldn't be surprising at times, but I wouldn't expect much from an average smartphone, just desktop amps mainly. You can probably take that up with Aliexpress or VSonic.

I guess it's more of a hiss, I get it from all the smartphones I've tried, my PC's Xonar sound card, my laptop and my Yulong U100. However when connected with the Cozoy Astrapi I get a super high pitch and loud buzz and the hiss which does not happen on any of my other headphones. 

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4,632 of 4,956
  I guess it's more of a hiss, I get it from all the smartphones I've tried, my PC's Xonar sound card, my laptop and my Yulong U100. However when connected with the Cozoy Astrapi I get a super high pitch and loud buzz and the hiss which does not happen on any of my other headphones. 

I would say it seems like it's having some problems. Others can chime in to offer their experiences. I wouldn't be too surprised to hear a tiny bit of hiss from the Xonar or Yulong since those are suited to full headphones which tend to be less sensitive than IEMs, but I don't think it should be hissing on smartphones. I don't recall hiss out of my iPod Touch 5G, which is basically an iPhone 5 without calling capabilities.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #4,633 of 4,956

could you list what other headphones your referring to?

just to see how sensitive they are in comparison to the vsd3s.

the hiss on the vsd3s is possible though, but of course like anything the potential for failure should not be disregarded

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,634 of 4,956
  could you list what other headphones your referring to?

just to see how sensitive they are in comparison to the vsd3s.

the hiss on the vsd3s is possible though, but of course like anything the potential for failure should not be disregarded

Like they say on Mythbusters, failure is always an option
tongue.gif
. Hiss is definitely possible with the VSD3S, but I feel like it's more likely to happen on dedicated amping devices than your common smartphone.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #4,635 of 4,956
  Some insides of VSD3S. Nothing special. The driver geometry differs from the previous models, it is also not the 11mm driver but 10mm. It is not "differently tuned GR02/04/06/07 or VDS1/1S driver". Note that in spec there is no info abut driver diameter.
Interesting, can I remove driver flex here by making a hole for air flow from front driver camera to rear housing camera...

Sort of really late eh, but how did you manage to open it?
My cables died, and instead of buying a new one, I'll try to solder one directly to the driver, althought I don't know how I can open it without destroying the housing, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back