The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,136 of 28,989
Need some serious help!  

The hinge pin on my HD800 left ear cup popped out tonight.  I was able to put it back together along with the spring.  Seems to be working just fine now.  Seems like a weak link since this is the only piece that holds the cup to the headband.  It is still under warranty is this serious enough to send back?

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #6,137 of 28,989
  Need some serious help!  

The hinge pin on my HD800 left ear cup popped out tonight.  I was able to put it back together along with the spring.  Seems to be working just fine now.  Seems like a weak link since this is the only piece that holds the cup to the headband.  It is still under warranty is this serious enough to send back?

Was this through normal use? No crazy bending? I would look into replacement if it was under normal conditions IMO.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6,138 of 28,989
  Was this through normal use? No crazy bending? I would look into replacement if it was under normal conditions IMO.

Laid it down when I went out of the room, picked it up and the ear cup came off.  Easy to fix, I'm just concerned that it might continue to pop off.  No wear or tear to any of the pieces so unclear why it came off.  Really took me by surprise.  

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #6,139 of 28,989

Sure John,

I really recommend checking this place out, Andix Audio  

http://www.andix.co.jp/

They`re primarily a tube specialty shop, but they decided to start to make these headphone dac/amps.  They had a table at the Tokyo Headphone show a couple of weeks ago.  The owner, Mr. Ishii actually speaks English well and has several amp options to choose from, and he`s very friendly and open to letting you spend the day there testing everything.  At his suggestion I actually packed my laptop, balanced dac, hd800s and all my cables into his shop and demo`d several of his creations.  Highly recommended.  

Andix is easy to find - just remember it`s right across the narrow street from the Akihabara "don quixote" store.  

I also visited this cooky shop 

http://www.e-kasuga.net/

a headfier posted about their headphone amp, which I was also considering until I found the Andix :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580785/kasuga-ka-10sh-tube-amp-kit-finished

Here are my `800s with the Andix:

A splendid photo. Perhaps you could also try one with just the glow of the tubes lighting up the HD800s?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #6,140 of 28,989
Some people claim HD800 have 'grey' sound, meaning not very colorful.
(please note: I don't mean 'colored', I mean - not very rich in colors, if we compare shades of colors that make them richer to sounds' richness.

I also had this impression when I listened to HD800 once. At that time I thought its because the source/amp were not making them justice.

Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to audition HD800 since. Do you have the same impression of the 'grey' sound in HD800?

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6,141 of 28,989
  Some people claim HD800 have 'grey' sound, meaning not very colorful.
(please note: I don't mean 'colored', I mean - not very rich in colors, if we compare shades of colors that make them richer to sounds' richness.

I also had this impression when I listened to HD800 once. At that time I thought its because the source/amp were not making them justice.

Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to audition HD800 since. Do you have the same impression of the 'grey' sound in HD800?

Usual Disclaimer: All IMO.

The HD-800s were designed purposefully this way, it's a studio headphone. In a studio environment, you are seeking the best possible "translation" so that if it sounds good on them, it will sound good on virtually anything. They don't want to necessarily push something out with a cherry flavor since cherry wouldn't be compatible, with say, beef. Not the best analogy, but it gets the point across 
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #6,142 of 28,989
  Usual Disclaimer: All IMO.

The HD-800s were designed purposefully this way, it's a studio headphone. In a studio environment, you are seeking the best possible "translation" so that if it sounds good on them, it will sound good on virtually anything. They don't want to necessarily push something out with a cherry flavor since cherry wouldn't be compatible, with say, beef. Not the best analogy, but it gets the point across 
tongue.gif

Thanks for the answer. I thought HD800 were too expensive to be a pro studio phone:wink:
Besides why a studio headphone cannot have a faithful representation of colors of sounds? I'd say it's an important part of music information.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6,143 of 28,989
could you clarify what you mean by "colors of sound"? that's not exactly common parlance around here.

hd800s have the fastest most detailed dynamic transducers ever made. I can't identify with the analogy to "grey." If anything, with certain source material, I would argue that they can sound too vivid to be enjoyable with certain amps subject to the topology and handling of high order harmonics.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #6,144 of 28,989
  Thanks for the answer. I thought HD800 were too expensive to be a pro studio phone:wink:
Besides why a studio headphone cannot have a faithful representation of colors of sounds? I'd say it's an important part of music information.

In a concert the environment is determined, starting with microphones, going through cables, mixers, effects, amps, speakers, and ending with the acoustic properties of the venue. What you get is a finished product, hopefully at it's best.
In studio work most of these factors are unknown, and the only reasonable choice is a compromise - the output must sound good through $2 IEMs on an mp3 player, in an elevator, a car player and on a high end audiophile system. On top of that there are individual preferences regarding volume level, tonal balance etc. Each of these environments and components colors the sound in it's own way. To have the best possible control over the final output, engineers tend to use components with possibly flat characteristics - that way you can have reasonably complex sound path without needing to worry about particular frequency suddenly booming or something like that. 
Many audiophiles have pretty complex setups as well and then the choice of flat response curve is also very desirable - not because it is enjoyable to everyone out of the bat, but because it's easier to control it and tune it to their individual tastes and preferences.
HD800 fits this purpose quite well, but no one says it's the only option. If your needs are different you have choices - there are Grados, Audezes and others that have different characteristics. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,145 of 28,989
I'm considering getting the HD800 and have been reading about its sensitivity to sources. 

My rig is a DX100 & Portaphile 627X. Does anyone have experience with the HD800/627X pairing?

Would this be a good match for the HD800?

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #6,146 of 28,989

I think what you mean is that it lacks 'euphony.' For instance, see David Mahler's excellent thread on "The Battle of the Flagships," and what he has to say about the HD800. On the other hand, it is a superbly neutral headphone-- the goal is to not have any particular character, except transparency--to get out of the way and let the music be the place where the colour is. At the end of the day, we want our gear to disappear--leaving just the music. In the right conditions, the HD800 can do this trick very, very well. Not perfect of course, but many agree it's on the cutting edge for dynamic (headphone) transducers.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,147 of 28,989
  In a concert the environment is determined, starting with microphones, going through cables, mixers, effects, amps, speakers, and ending with the acoustic properties of the venue. What you get is a finished product, hopefully at it's best.
In studio work most of these factors are unknown, and the only reasonable choice is a compromise - the output must sound good through $2 IEMs on an mp3 player, in an elevator, a car player and on a high end audiophile system. On top of that there are individual preferences regarding volume level, tonal balance etc. Each of these environments and components colors the sound in it's own way. To have the best possible control over the final output, engineers tend to use components with possibly flat characteristics - that way you can have reasonably complex sound path without needing to worry about particular frequency suddenly booming or something like that. 
Many audiophiles have pretty complex setups as well and then the choice of flat response curve is also very desirable - not because it is enjoyable to everyone out of the bat, but because it's easier to control it and tune it to their individual tastes and preferences.
HD800 fits this purpose quite well, but no one says it's the only option. If your needs are different you have choices - there are Grados, Audezes and others that have different characteristics. 

+1 Very well said.

I think what you mean is that it lacks 'euphony.' For instance, see David Mahler's excellent thread on "The Battle of the Flagships," and what he has to say about the HD800. On the other hand, it is a superbly neutral headphone-- the goal is to not have any particular character, except transparency--to get out of the way and let the music be the place where the colour is. At the end of the day, we want our gear to disappear--leaving just the music. In the right conditions, the HD800 can do this trick very, very well. Not perfect of course, but many agree it's on the cutting edge for dynamic (headphone) transducers.

I agree, and I have similar results with the HE-6 as well.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6,148 of 28,989
  +1 Very well said.

I agree, and I have similar results with the HE-6 as well.

Do you find much difference between the HE6 and HD800 in terms of smoothness/lushness with your rigs?  

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #6,149 of 28,989

Do you find much difference between the HE6 and HD800 in terms of smoothness/lushness with your rigs?  

at both extremes of the audible range, yes i do. The HE-6 is overall much more linear in that aspect. If you clip those extremes off, it's a much closer comparison. Both are highly transparent, with the HD-800 eeking out just a bit more. For naturalness (richer in harmonic content) the HE-6 is the champ, where the HD-800 just decays too quickly, not giving out the full note. Pick your poison, I have both, but I can easily decide my "island" headphone 
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #6,150 of 28,989
  at both extremes of the audible range, yes i do. The HE-6 is overall much more linear in that aspect. If you clip those extremes off, it's a much closer comparison. Both are highly transparent, with the HD-800 eeking out just a bit more. For naturalness (richer in harmonic content) the HE-6 is the champ, where the HD-800 just decays too quickly, not giving out the full note. Pick your poison, I have both, but I can easily decide my "island" headphone 
wink_face.gif

which is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back