The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6,121 of 28,989
  Yesterday I picked this up at a tube-maniac shop in Tokyo, totally handmade, hand-wound transformers, 1940 US miltary tubes, 24/192 dac, coax/opt/usb/analogue inputs; highgain/lowgain outs.  Totally silent.  Super powerful.  The HD800s are finally at home . . . 

Now really keen to try a kit, probably Bottlehead - may just jump in and build the balanced Mainline ! 

Very sleek!

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #6,122 of 28,989
Try the Crack!

Quote:
  +1 took the words right out of my mouth :)

Nice to have some more company in the thread who share this opinion 
beerchug.gif
  Crack is definitely the budget option to beat in terms of amps that pair beautifully with hd800's.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #6,123 of 28,989
Wow Dopaminer! What a find!
I will be headed to Tokyo soon. Would you be able to share the addresses of a few shops for me to go take a look?

Thanks!!

John

Quote:
  Yesterday I picked this up at a tube-maniac shop in Tokyo, totally handmade, hand-wound transformers, 1940 US miltary tubes, 24/192 dac, coax/opt/usb/analogue inputs; highgain/lowgain outs.  Totally silent.  Super powerful.  The HD800s are finally at home . . . 

Now really keen to try a kit, probably Bottlehead - may just jump in and build the balanced Mainline ! 

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,127 of 28,989
  Just got HD800 in and listening to it now! I can't believe people say that this is a bright headphone, it's sound perfectly natural to me!

It has the reputation it has for a reason.  It's simply a bright headphone.

If you find their sound signature to be natural then congrats on finding the headphone that works for your ears.  In the end that's the main goal.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #6,128 of 28,989
Traded a 3-month old AK120 for a 6-month old HD800.
Now hunting for a better amp than the iFi iCAN to drive the HD800 and TH600

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,129 of 28,989
  I just looove the looks of my HD 800's! <3 they're so huge and comfy :D

And they fit like a glove its like getting into a Ferrari!

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #6,131 of 28,989
It won't be a returned item unless you by a 'used' one through the Amazon Warehouse seller. Try Jan at Meir Audio. I bought all three of mine from him-and they all were the newest serial #s at the time...free shipping too and 'probably' at a discount.

-Daniel

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #6,132 of 28,989
Colorware is a good option to get custom coloration and latest serial at normal retail price $1500. When I got mine it was the highest serial I had seen yet. Custom paint job takes 3-4 weeks but is very much worth it as the stock Sennheiser paint tends to flake and the Colorware does not.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #6,134 of 28,989
  I just looove the looks of my HD 800's! <3 they're so huge and comfy :D

Very cool picture bro! These are truly one of the greatest headphones ever made in my opinion.

P.S for those wondering about amazon and getting returned items, just because it is listed as brand new is not often the case with these kinds of products (i.e super high end headphones). The HD800 isn't sealed in the box it comes in, so it can easily be claimed as brand new. Buyers be careful!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #6,135 of 28,989
Wow Dopaminer! What a find!
I will be headed to Tokyo soon. Would you be able to share the addresses of a few shops for me to go take a look?

Thanks!!

John

Sure John,

I really recommend checking this place out, Andix Audio  

http://www.andix.co.jp/

They`re primarily a tube specialty shop, but they decided to start to make these headphone dac/amps.  They had a table at the Tokyo Headphone show a couple of weeks ago.  The owner, Mr. Ishii actually speaks English well and has several amp options to choose from, and he`s very friendly and open to letting you spend the day there testing everything.  At his suggestion I actually packed my laptop, balanced dac, hd800s and all my cables into his shop and demo`d several of his creations.  Highly recommended.  

Andix is easy to find - just remember it`s right across the narrow street from the Akihabara "don quixote" store.  

I also visited this cooky shop 

http://www.e-kasuga.net/

a headfier posted about their headphone amp, which I was also considering until I found the Andix :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580785/kasuga-ka-10sh-tube-amp-kit-finished

Here are my `800s with the Andix:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back