The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #5,657 of 28,989
Those are actually some Symphones Magnums built by an Austrian HeadFier named stratocaster.Really great sounding headphones!

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #5,658 of 28,989
I use the Pioneer SX 1010 and it transforms the HD800....ah,well,however you want to put it,it is just a really good synergy and the WA6 pales in comparison.

Nice to see some love for good ole vintage amps. 

This is my latest Pioneer. It sounds very good to me :)

(apologies if you've already seen these pics on another thread)

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #5,659 of 28,989

This is my latest Pioneer. It sounds very good to me :)

(apologies if you've already seen these pics on another thread)

I have a chance of buying the same amp - impressions?

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5,660 of 28,989

I have a chance of buying the same amp - impressions?

A very bold sound. But not without detail or balance. A lot of depth, earthy sounding. Treble is rich without nearing any kind of harshness. This is of course with the HD800's plugged in. Its a late 70's Pioneer when they were at their best. I'm not going to try and convince you that it will sound better than a high end hp amp because I'm sure that it won't. But I'd confidently let it compete with anything under $1000. 

Most important... The SQ will depend on how good the insides still are :)

Don't pay any-more than $150 (usd) I paid £60 for her above. I spent a lot of time cleaning her up but that's all part of the fun. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5,661 of 28,989

Not quite vintage yet, almost 10 years since it came out though. It has that nice vintage look however. I'm currently using it to power my HE-6 until I finish my DIY First Watt F5 
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,662 of 28,989
Just wondering guys, I see two types of HD800's? One with a silver ring around the small grill on each earcup and one with a blue one? What does this mean? Different ohms? Balanced or single ended?

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5,663 of 28,989
Just wondering guys, I see two types of HD800's? One with a silver ring around the small grill on each earcup and one with a blue one? What does this mean? Different ohms? Balanced or single ended?

The blue ringed models are customized.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #5,668 of 28,989
Okay here is a follow up on my post a couple of pages back.  Amazon Japan delivered my new HD800 with the `damaged` box, which they had photographed and sent to me to confirm my order, and which i included in my previous post.  These pictures I just took a few minutes ago after the delivery guy left.  When I opened the Amazon packing container I realized I had been mislead, as you can see : 

The box is not the one in the photos from Amazon, it is pristine and my new HD800 is on my head blowing my mind (the syncopated cowbell in Trombone Shorty`s `Buckjump` sounds like it`s 2 meters behind my chair).  So why the reverse scam - offering a fake 30% scratch-and-dent discount ?  Probably it has to do with `volume discounts` from distributors to retailers, whereby big sellers reach a point in their inventory where the profit margin they earn for each unit sold becomes less than the discount they can receive from the distributor/manufacturer for ordering more units.  It sounds wonky but if you think about it the math could make sense.  A couple of years ago I bought an iMac here that was labeled `used` and hugely discounted, however it was clearly unused (everything still factory sealed, no software installed).  My friend who works for Apple Japan told me it must have been the result of this kind of discount system. The retailer can easily move the unit out the door by discounting it so much, more than their sales contract allows, and therefor push their inventory statistics into a range which qualify for future discounts/rebates/priority shipping from the distributor/manufacturer.  (This could also indicate something new is coming from Senn, and dealers are trying to move the current stock.  . .   Not that I`m rumor-mongering. ) 

More importantly, holy crap these headphones are freakin` amazing !

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #5,669 of 28,989
  Not quite vintage yet, almost 10 years since it came out though. It has that nice vintage look however. I'm currently using it to power my HE-6 until I finish my DIY First Watt F5 
biggrin.gif

I know that model and it is very highly rated. I'd like to try one some day. Plus it looks very elegant.

More importantly, holy crap these headphones are freakin` amazing !

Congrats! That theory kind of makes sense as well. Cos they wouldn't be allowed to advertise them at the discounted price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back