The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #5,641 of 28,989
Got my HD800 last week; been enjoying them through my Schiit Bifrost - > Woo WA6 w/ Sophia - sounding great!

Also bought T1's yesterday.. loving them both; no clear winning - just different :)

Here is my frequency graph;

No peak for me it seems?

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #5,642 of 28,989
  Got my HD800 last week; been enjoying them through my Schiit Bifrost - > Woo WA6 w/ Sophia - sounding great!

Also bought T1's yesterday.. loving them both; no clear winning - just different :)

Here is my frequency graph;

No peak for me it seems?

Congrats! :D

Also, and just in general. Do you hear any peaks? Did you find them peaky before you seen the graph? 

My graph looks like yours. And although the treble of them has never bothered me in the slightest, objectively I know they do have the same peaks as everyone else's. Because I can hear it. 

For those who have graphs that show more peaks, I really wouldn't concern yourself with it. There has been lots and lots of tests from some very experienced members with lots of hd800's and they all pretty much sound the same. A slight movement when the graph test was done can create differences in the freq response. 

The chart is more of a record certificate rather than any frequency uniqueness.     

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #5,643 of 28,989
The WA6 seems to same the highs 'peaky' ness very well - found them a little bit more so on the Burson Soloist SL i was using prior; what amp are you running?

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #5,644 of 28,989
  The WA6 seems to same the highs 'peaky' ness very well - found them a little bit more so on the Burson Soloist SL i was using prior; what amp are you running?

I'm currently plugged into a vintage Sansui 551. Some of these old vintage amps have great treble without any solid state sharpness. They sound very tube like imo. 

They also really bring out the bottom end and I like that as a preference. 

But yeah the peaks will defo be amp dependant. For instance if they are being underpowered then you might hear a lot more treble than bass and then they will be brought to the forefront. 

I'd love to try a Woo amp. Hard to get here in the uk, but I'm always on the look out. I'd also like to give a Crack otl a go. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #5,645 of 28,989

I'm currently plugged into a vintage Sansui 551. Some of these old vintage amps have great treble without any solid state sharpness. They sound very tube like imo. 

They also really bring out the bottom end and I like that as a preference. 

But yeah the peaks will defo be amp dependant. For instance if they are being underpowered then you might hear a lot more treble than bass and then they will be brought to the forefront. 

I'd love to try a Woo amp. Hard to get here in the uk, but I'm always on the look out. I'd also like to give a Crack otl a go. 

Wow nice amp's you have there; (had a look at your gallery in sig) - the woo is definately worth it; i got this for a great price - i would have gone WA2 or WA6 SE if i was buying new though.

Worst part about it for me is i sell all of the gear at my work so surrounded daily! (In New Zealand, one of the only ones selling it here :D )

Bought the T1 and HD800s within two weeks of each other :frowning2:

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5,646 of 28,989

Wow nice amp's you have there; (had a look at your gallery in sig) - the woo is definately worth it; i got this for a great price - i would have gone WA2 or WA6 SE if i was buying new though.

Worst part about it for me is i sell all of the gear at my work so surrounded daily! (In New Zealand, one of the only ones selling it here :D )

Bought the T1 and HD800s within two weeks of each other :frowning2:

Sounds like you've got the perfect job! But I'm sure your wallet would disagree :wink:

Keep us informed how you get on with both of those headphones, I nearly went for the T1's but new I had to try the HD800's first. I really liked the dt880's when I had them though.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #5,647 of 28,989

Sounds like you've got the perfect job! But I'm sure your wallet would disagree :wink:

Keep us informed how you get on with both of those headphones, I nearly went for the T1's but new I had to try the HD800's first. I really liked the dt880's when I had them though.  

I have found them to be different, but not better than one another...

It really comes down to both being all rounder's but having a different signature within each; 

What i find different most is the T1 seperate the instruments and vocal's more as it feels like the singer is centre and you can clearly feel the gap between them and the instruments around.

While the HD800 is more 'full' with having great seperation - but moreso feels like they are still joined together and not having any of the gaps - I suppose you would call this airyness?

Both are going great with the WA6 though - loving it! :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5,648 of 28,989
So here is something some of you may find interesting.  I live in Tokyo, and Amazon Japan yesterday had one-only, new, 24xxxxx HD800 for 117,000 yen or roughly $1,100 USD.   I have been ready to pull the trigger, at much higher prices than this, on the HD800 for the past two weeks and so I snapped it up on spot.  From my shakey Japanese reading ability I understood that the reason for the discount (from 160,000 yen)  was that the box was somehow damaged and this information included a lengthy promise of it not impacting the headphones at all. After I purchased, they contacted me with these pictures, just to confirm that I was really, really okay with the damaged packaging: 

They are arriving on Saturday, in about 36 hours so I`ll know then if I am as lucky as I think I may be . . 

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,650 of 28,989
  So here is something some of you may find interesting.  I live in Tokyo, and Amazon Japan yesterday had one-only, new, 24xxxxx HD800 for 117,000 yen or roughly $1,100 USD.   I have been ready to pull the trigger, at much higher prices than this, on the HD800 for the past two weeks and so I snapped it up on spot.  From my shakey Japanese reading ability I understood that the reason for the discount (from 160,000 yen)  was that the box was somehow damaged and this information included a lengthy promise of it not impacting the headphones at all. After I purchased, they contacted me with these pictures, just to confirm that I was really, really okay with the damaged packaging: 

They are arriving on Saturday, in about 36 hours so I`ll know then if I am as lucky as I think I may be . . 

There's no way on earth I'd accept a box in that kind of state. 
biggrin.gif

Congrats!!

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #5,653 of 28,989

It really comes down to both being all rounder's but having a different signature within each; 

What i find different most is the T1 seperate the instruments and vocal's more as it feels like the singer is centre and you can clearly feel the gap between them and the instruments around.

While the HD800 is more 'full' with having great seperation - but moreso feels like they are still joined together and not having any of the gaps - I suppose you would call this airyness?

I do prefer the HD600 out of the WA6(no matter whether I use the Sophia Princess or the Emission Labs rectifier).
The HD800 sounds "out of this world" from my vintage Pioneer.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5,654 of 28,989

I do prefer the HD600 out of the WA6(no matter whether I use the Sophia Princess or the Emission Labs rectifier).
The HD800 sounds "out of this world" from my vintage Pioneer.
Which pioneer model are you using? Have you heard the Marantz 2226? Opinions that that Marantz?

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #5,655 of 28,989
I use the Pioneer SX 1010 and it transforms the HD800....ah,well,however you want to put it,it is just a really good synergy and the WA6 pales in comparison.
Also,the Pioneer has excellent tone controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back