The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #3,211 of 28,989
LOL!

I'd just like to apologise for causing such a stir. Rather than taking this thread any more further off track, what I should say is that I believe the HD 800s have very good soundstaging and not many headphones be it iems or full sized can beat it in that respect.  

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,212 of 28,989
Even the HD800 doesn't compare to the immersive holographic soundstage of the lowly $20 MEElectric M9. Quite honestly, neither do any speaker setups I've ever heard. It isn't an outside your head sound like you might be thinking of, rather it puts you in a field of sound that is surreal. Most IEMs I've tried have this level of effect, so it seems it is easier to do within the ear canal than on ear or over ear. The M9 of course sounds pretty terrible in all other respects, so I don't use it anymore. UERM is the best soundstage tool I have presently, but it lacks in detail so I compromise with the HD800.

Not sure how you guys can't hear it. IEMs are an order of magnitude better at spatial presentation than anything else I've heard (besides real life... but even that is close).

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,215 of 28,989
I've owned Westone 2/3, UE3, and still have Senn IE8's (apparently the IEM kings of soundstage) and none of them give the sense of air and space that open over ear hp's give you. Especially the HD800's.
IMO.

Haven't been high for a long time... But peace folks 

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3,216 of 28,989
Back on topic.... 

I've been listening to the HD 800 more and more now and I have drawn the conclusion that the HD 800 has the best bass in any headphone I've heard. Period. 

Some people would suggest that the HD 800 are lacking in bass. Others might come to the conclusion that the amazing treble extension masks the bass and causes it to sound recessed (as I have personally concluded in the past). With prolonged listening, I have realised this is not the case. It is my belief that the HD 800 are the most neutral headphones and as such, really gives you what you give it. 

What I mean is, if you throw a well-defined bass heavy track at the HD 800, it will provide all the bass and slam that is required by the track. No more, no less, no distortion and no colouration.

The problem is that there is just too much bass everywhere. So many headphones nowadays automatically have a bass boosted frequency. Indeed amps often come with a mandatory bass boost. So when you hear bass from the HD 800 for the first time, you feel like crying out, NOT ENOUGH! But really, it is exactly enough and sounds exactly as it should. 

Now, I should explain that I LOVE the bass presentation on the LCD 2/3. They provide my favourite sound in terms of bass. But that is with the caveat of the unspoken understanding that what I am being served is very coloured and with more meat.

There is nothing wrong with concluding you prefer the bass of the LCD 2/3 (or any other headphone for that matter) more than the HD 800. What is wrong is to conclude that they have better bass than the HD 800. 

Whilst what I say is focusing on the bass, the real factor that I appreciate is the neutrality. It's this neutrality that allows the HD 800 to excel. 

Agree? Disagree?

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3,217 of 28,989
Quote:
Back on topic.... 

I've been listening to the HD 800 more and more now and I have drawn the conclusion that the HD 800 has the best bass in any headphone I've heard. Period. 

Some people would suggest that the HD 800 are lacking in bass. Others might come to the conclusion that the amazing treble extension masks the bass and causes it to sound recessed (as I have personally concluded in the past). With prolonged listening, I have realised this is not the case. It is my belief that the HD 800 are the most neutral headphones and as such, really gives you what you give it. 

What I mean is, if you throw a well-defined bass heavy track at the HD 800, it will provide all the bass and slam that is required by the track. No more, no less, no distortion and no colouration.

The problem is that there is just too much bass everywhere. So many headphones nowadays automatically have a bass boosted frequency. Indeed amps often come with a mandatory bass boost. So when you hear bass from the HD 800 for the first time, you feel like crying out, NOT ENOUGH! But really, it is exactly enough and sounds exactly as it should. 

Now, I should explain that I LOVE the bass presentation on the LCD 2/3. They provide my favourite sound in terms of bass. But that is with the caveat of the unspoken understanding that what I am being served is very coloured and with more meat.

There is nothing wrong with concluding you prefer the bass of the LCD 2/3 (or any other headphone for that matter) more than the HD 800. What is wrong is to conclude that they have better bass than the HD 800. 

Whilst what I say is focusing on the bass, the real factor that I appreciate is the neutrality. It's this neutrality that allows the HD 800 to excel. 

Agree? Disagree?

I agree...The key point for me is accurate and not extra. They are not tuned to blast the low end, but if the track has the bass the HD800's will deliver!

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3,219 of 28,989
Hd800 has that tight bass that makes you want to turn into Flee and play slap bass. LCD 2s bass creates a very warm dark atmosphere and is amazing for certain songs. There is no best hands down. Its all preference. But hd800s are defiantly more detailed.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3,221 of 28,989
I own both the lcd-2 and the hd800, but I do use the hd800 for 90% of my listening :D

the lcd-2 gives a nice kick to bass, but overall I still prefer the soundsignature of my hd800 by far. The hdvd800 just increased my preference

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,222 of 28,989
here we go again! HD800 fans bashing Audeze! Just kidding I know you all have been very measured with your posts and I have to agree. I personally could not believe the price difference between LCD3 vs HD800. The way I hear them, HD 800 really comes in first regardless of price, but when you factor that in, it is no contest. Still, one day when I am done upgrading all the pireces in the chain I need to, I may get LCD3. Well if I dont get deralied by Staxes.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,223 of 28,989
At this point the HD800 has a leg up, I think. Or maybe they're tied, or, uh, complimentary. Unsure.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3,224 of 28,989
Quote:
At this point the HD800 has a leg up, I think. Or maybe they're tied, or, uh, complimentary. Unsure.

I could def see that! Hence my consideration to purchase the LCD3 in the future. Anyway, def not this summer. Gotta sink money into the house.
triportsad.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #3,225 of 28,989
Considering I pair $1100 for my new pair and the LCD-3 set me back $1700 used... no contest for value.  Wildly different sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back