The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #26,192 of 28,989
Content advisory warning: Sonarworks discussed.

I need to make sure Sonarworks is installed on my macbook pro in advance of next weekend's trip to the Schiitr, as I am eager (/anxious) to discover the extent to which @Baldr's Gadget will play nicely with digital EQ. My suspicion is that it won't, that Sonarworks will be distorted precisely to the degree of the gadget's tuning everything down. This means that any EQ would have to be analog, or shifted up to account for the gadget's retuning. Maybe in a future gadget, there could be a display to tell the user exactly the number of hertz that the sound is being moved. Maybe SW could partner with Schiit to load a forthcoming Loki Maxi with preset very precise EQs.

I put this here because HD600 is practically flat already, and I don't know of any other cans so notoriously requiring EQ as HD800...

I sincerely doubt it will be a problem for you... I think the entire range of the gadget's detuning is maybe a half step or less, and this is all happening right before it hits the DAC. It should just detune whatever signal you're sending to it. But please do report your findings.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #26,193 of 28,989
It all begins with Yggdrasil so as far as I'm concerned, yes, it comes first. I feel your deliberations regarding Rogue versus Woo. I could solve my dilemma by caving to owning a fifth HP amp and if I do I would want a Woo Twenty Two and embrace the wallet emptying upgraded tubes at my leisure.
Or you could sell all the amps for a WA33. :smiling_imp:

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #26,194 of 28,989
Oct 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #26,195 of 28,989
I'm definitely waiting until I am with Yggy, but I'm debating the virtues of RH-5 and WA22. WA22 looks prettier and is $500 less in stock form, though the consensus seems to be that it requires upgrades to truly impress.
If only you lived closer! You could just swing by and demo it for your self.

We are having Bill Magerman from Rogue Audio come by the store to do a meet and greet and we are also having coffee, doughnuts and such as well. This will be Nov 11 from 10-1. If your near us (Pittsburgh ) it will be a good laid back time. Bill is a nice guy. You will be able to listen to the RH5 and ask questions as well about it

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #26,196 of 28,989
I tried them actually last weekend at canjam. It was much better than the stock pad because it's a hybrid (perforated if I am not mistaken) pad. I didn't have the opportunity to listen to it but looking at the FR with and without the pad; with the pad, the 6k spike is lowered to somewhere around 2db to 3db. It's really comfy too

Any idea when those pads will be available???

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #26,200 of 28,989
A more interesting question is : who did try seriously EQ and finally came back to no EQ :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #26,201 of 28,989
We meet again for the final time...

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #26,202 of 28,989
A more interesting question is : who did try seriously EQ and finally came back to no EQ :)

I've tried Sonarworks and some others and came back to no EQ few minutes after, each time. Just heard strain and odd sounding HD800s. Actually never had an issue with the ~ '6khz peak' or lack of bass or anything like that but rather with overly holographic presentation, soft transients and seriously wrong sounding Steinway:)

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #26,203 of 28,989
I have listened to mine for years now with tubes, no mods, no EQ

HD800 is a great headphone IMHO

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #26,204 of 28,989

I did. I had several EQ settings that (did and still do) sound great with the HD800. However, I recabled my whole system in 2016, and found the EQ to be largely unnecessary afterward.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #26,205 of 28,989
Every day I find my ears grow less golden. What I am struck by more than anything is my adaptability, my ambivalence, toward chains. MJ2 with LISST? Sounds good. With Orange Globes? Also sounds good. With SW? Sounds good, especially for pop. Without? Also sounds good, if a little thin by direct comparison. I've even been known to leave iTunes presets in force without my knowledge, and only realize days later! (I have a bass boost/treble cut for K1000.) The only constant is how satisfied I am with my cans whenever I listen to them, and how quickly they grow to sound great.

Still can't stand the Audeze iSine 10. Gave them 2 weeks but they sounded like schiit the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back