The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #26,161 of 28,989
Another planar that might interest you is the M1060 from MassDrop, while it didn't impress me for the hype around them they are priced at $300, weigh a bit less than the LCD-2. Some say the M1060 is as good or better than the LCD-2 but for me it was not the case but they are still very different from the HD800 so it would still be a good complimentary headphone IMO. If you are interested in other headphones for a different sound signature you might also want to try the HD650 which is quite different from the HD800 and is considered an end game by some.
Thanks. Dont like the built quality of the M1060. After all I intend to keep the HP for long and has to be something well made. HD650 is dated now. Thanks anyway.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #26,162 of 28,989
anyone know If you can do a SDR Mod on a hd700?

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #26,164 of 28,989
I suppose after 1745 pages, Audeze and HD700 become fair game...

I will say re weight that I'm surprised Audeze hasn't yet put up the LCD-Pro they showed at SoCal CanJam. It was remarkably light. I suppose the short answer is get an iSine20, or the LCD i4 if weight is a problem

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #26,165 of 28,989
Have listened to my HD800s for nearly 1 month. This is exactly what I hope for a flagship headphone. (Although the price is not one of the highest) HD800 is the top of dynamic headphones and I think it surpass K812 and T1 in terms of resolution and sound stage. I do not think overemphasize bass in headphone or IEM is a clever way because this is an inherently drawback compared to speakers. HD800s just make the bass accurate and spent more energy in refining mid and treble which are better to present for headphones and IEMs. With a warm amp, you will get a balanced sound and I will call it Reference.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #26,166 of 28,989
Have listened to my HD800s for nearly 1 month. This is exactly what I hope for a flagship headphone. (Although the price is not one of the highest) HD800 is the top of dynamic headphones and I think it surpass K812 and T1 in terms of resolution and sound stage. I do not think overemphasize bass in headphone or IEM is a clever way because this is an inherently drawback compared to speakers. HD800s just make the bass accurate and spent more energy in refining mid and treble which are better to present for headphones and IEMs. With a warm amp, you will get a balanced sound and I will call it Reference.
Agree there. Goes well for me with Burson which is warm .

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #26,167 of 28,989
Agree there. Goes well for me with Burson which is warm .
I wouldnt consider the burson warm but it does playwell with the bottom end of the hd800(s) and i would guess it would work nicely with the warm tint of the mojo however

Oct 1, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #26,168 of 28,989
I wouldnt consider the burson warm but it does playwell with the bottom end of the hd800(s) and i would guess it would work nicely with the warm tint of the mojo however
Thats the combination I use for my Hd800. ( Burson+Mojo )

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #26,170 of 28,989
After several years of being afraid of too much treble (and looking for a good deal), I finally got myself a used pair a few months ago. Watching metal571's videos about how well these work with EQ was probably the deciding factor. And, yeah these are some capable headphones, and then some.

Here's my video review and comparison against my trusty LCD-2.1's

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #26,171 of 28,989
After several years of being afraid of too much treble (and looking for a good deal), I finally got myself a used pair a few months ago. Watching metal571's videos about how well these work with EQ was probably the deciding factor. And, yeah these are some capable headphones, and then some.

Here's my video review and comparison against my trusty LCD-2.1's

Very Good Comparison on 800 & LCD2.
I was looking forward to a good review like you mentioned as I am wanting to buy the LCD 2 as compliment HP to my Hd800. :)
Never used Equaliser yet. Prefer pure Raw sound. I prefer using warm hardware to get the peak of 6Khz of Hd800 tamed and so go myself the SD mod and in my opinion the HDs sound superb.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #26,172 of 28,989
Hey, how would you compare the sound of the Mojo alone (as DAC+amp) versus Mojo as DAC + Burson as amp?
Since Hd800 is bright and Mojo too is a bit bright I prefer using my setup for better sound as mentioned above that is using mojo & Burson Combo. Just using Mojo with Hd800 I feel something missing. Cheers

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #26,173 of 28,989
No, stay away from Audeze. All Audeze.
Heavy, sweaty, neck pains, big .

Get STAXS! Invest in staxs.

#staxsbro

And once you go staxs you will never ever go back to these planar and dynamic drivers
Hahaha... I am having LCD-X and it is quite heavy, I must say, especially after long hours of usage.
After some thoughts, I got myself L700 paired with 717 Amp, they are really good pair!
Anyway, I think this setup is enough for now to compliment my HD800 SDR :gs1000smile:

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #26,174 of 28,989
Yeah LCD-X is needless.

Just to be very reductive, we all recognize that there are "analytical" sounding headphones and "easy listening euphonic" headphones. I find that SR009 is the best I've heard of the former and SR007 is the best I've heard of the latter (Orpheus is the only headphone I've heard that masters both). I look forward tremendously to having the resources to get the requisite amplification (and am considering the 'cheap KGSSHV', depending on how it is reviewed). Although they can't compete with HD800 and K1000 on soundstage, they would certainly round out my collection, and likely be my go-to cans for a while. I can't imagine needing a utopia with an 007 on hand, though naturally unless I have both 007 and 009 the cost of quality e-stat amplification (indeed, entry-level e-stat amplification) would make the purchase not only prohibitive but frivolous. I should say that I am extremely reluctant to let go of components, and only do so when I really have no use for them whatsoever (as was the case with q701) and then I give them away to friends with less disposable income.

Considering making vali 1 part of a "nightstand stack" when the gadget comes out. Gadget, Mimby, Loki, and Vali would be a beautiful stack for late night HD800 listening, perhaps with a permanently-attached iPad.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #26,175 of 28,989
Anyone thinking of getting a cable from bestinverse custom cable. Please be forwarned that it may lead only to disappointment. I had a cable ordered on July and supposed to ship a couple of weeks ago which Zach confirmed. But until now there is no sign of any shipment and my repeated emails no longer getting any response.

I am now trying to open a dispute with Paypal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back