The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #26,176 of 28,992
Anyone thinking of getting a cable from bestinverse custom cable.

I could never buy from a company with a name like that. Might as well call themselves We Don't Suck. Honest!

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #26,177 of 28,992
Any recommended website that sells HD800 earpad and ship to worldwide?

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #26,178 of 28,992
Anyone thinking of getting a cable from bestinverse custom cable. Please be forwarned that it may lead only to disappointment. I had a cable ordered on July and supposed to ship a couple of weeks ago which Zach confirmed. But until now there is no sign of any shipment and my repeated emails no longer getting any response.

I am now trying to open a dispute with Paypal.
Tks for the update

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #26,179 of 28,992
Anyone thinking of getting a cable from bestinverse custom cable. Please be forwarned that it may lead only to disappointment. I had a cable ordered on July and supposed to ship a couple of weeks ago which Zach confirmed. But until now there is no sign of any shipment and my repeated emails no longer getting any response.

I am now trying to open a dispute with Paypal.

I order from bestintheverse before. It took 3 months for the cables to arrive. I was worry at first but it finally did arrive.
The cables are so-so. Nothing special.

@artpiggo
Here are cheap fake HD800 earpads :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...440552?hash=item1a37178f28:g:jpkAAOSw1MBZ2YrR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Repl...155076?hash=item1a2a334e04:g:4r8AAOSwuspY-FBC

I have over 5 pairs !!. They are okay! Not amazing by any means! It dose the job! I actually prefer these over the original! Also Worldwide shipping !

@others

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ZY-HiFi-Cabl...204416?hash=item2a8c950b40:g:-QoAAOSwYS9ZaGbG

These are somewhat cheap cables. Changes the sound 5-10% . Build like a tank. Feels like a metallic snake. It's my to go cables for HD800

And if people believe in the magic of cables and wants the best of the best

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...-Elear-Utopia-headphone-cable-occ-litz-copper

I see no point in owning these but here you go. Nothing's better

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #26,181 of 28,992
Dekoni will have HD800 earpad on their website soon.

Thanks for info. I also come to like their facebook page.

I already pull trigger on ebay but I will buy this for comparison when it is available.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #26,182 of 28,992
Thanks for info. I also come to like their facebook page.

I already pull trigger on ebay but I will buy this for comparison when it is available.

I tried them actually last weekend at canjam. It was much better than the stock pad because it's a hybrid (perforated if I am not mistaken) pad. I didn't have the opportunity to listen to it but looking at the FR with and without the pad; with the pad, the 6k spike is lowered to somewhere around 2db to 3db. It's really comfy too

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #26,183 of 28,992
Content advisory warning: Sonarworks discussed.

I need to make sure Sonarworks is installed on my macbook pro in advance of next weekend's trip to the Schiitr, as I am eager (/anxious) to discover the extent to which @Baldr's Gadget will play nicely with digital EQ. My suspicion is that it won't, that Sonarworks will be distorted precisely to the degree of the gadget's tuning everything down. This means that any EQ would have to be analog, or shifted up to account for the gadget's retuning. Maybe in a future gadget, there could be a display to tell the user exactly the number of hertz that the sound is being moved. Maybe SW could partner with Schiit to load a forthcoming Loki Maxi with preset very precise EQs.

I put this here because HD600 is practically flat already, and I don't know of any other cans so notoriously requiring EQ as HD800...

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #26,184 of 28,992

I need to make sure Sonarworks is installed on my macbook pro in advance of next weekend's trip to the Schiitr, as I am eager (/anxious) to discover the extent to which @Baldr's Gadget will play nicely with digital EQ. My suspicion is that it won't, that Sonarworks will be distorted precisely to the degree of the gadget's tuning everything down. This means that any EQ would have to be analog, or shifted up to account for the gadget's retuning. Maybe in a future gadget, there could be a display to tell the user exactly the number of hertz that the sound is being moved. Maybe SW could partner with Schiit to load a forthcoming Loki Maxi with preset very precise EQs.

I put this here because HD600 is practically flat already, and I don't know of any other cans so notoriously requiring EQ as HD800...

Have never used EQ for my HD. Prefer to mix match hardware to make it sound good for my ears. So far using Mojo and Burson and all is good. Yes I did mod my HD 800 with SD mods.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #26,185 of 28,992

I'm another that doesn't use EQ and have never felt the HD800 needed any EQ.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #26,186 of 28,992
I'm another that doesn't use EQ and have never felt the HD800 needed any EQ.
If you have the right amp paring with the HD800 I feel no need to EQ it... The HD800 is such a standard now and has been for years. It's not uncommon for a company to make sure an HD800 sounds "right" out of their desktop amp since its such a staple in the community. With that said, people's tolerances all deviate for treble sensitivity and sometimes the HD800 is just too sharp to them regardless of pairing. If thats the case get a tube amp with warm tubes if you prefer the wide and deep sound staging.

As I have said before the RH5 from Rogue Audio has crazy good synergy with the HD800 and its a tube hybrid. The synergy isn't surprising to me after I learned that the HD800 was used extensively with the RH5 during development.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #26,187 of 28,992
Yeah, no EQ here, either. On the NFB-28, it actually has a slightly warm characteristic. Very natural and organic-sounding.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #26,188 of 28,992
If you have the right amp paring with the HD800 I feel no need to EQ it... The HD800 is such a standard now and has been for years. It's not uncommon for a company to make sure an HD800 sounds "right" out of their desktop amp since its such a staple in the community. With that said, people's tolerances all deviate for treble sensitivity and sometimes the HD800 is just too sharp to them regardless of pairing. If thats the case get a tube amp with warm tubes if you prefer the wide and deep sound staging.

As I have said before the RH5 from Rogue Audio has crazy good synergy with the HD800 and its a tube hybrid. The synergy isn't surprising to me after I learned that the HD800 was used extensively with the RH5 during development.

I love my RH-5 plus HD800 (stock and no EQ but Dana Lazuli cabling) and plan to keep it all as a matched set. Hansotek's review (and I believe your mention of the pairing at some point) colored me intrigued and I got a trade-in I couldn't refuse on one of the HP amps in my collection. I haven't even started tube rolling yet. This combination is superb on my early instrument recordings and vocals,

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #26,189 of 28,992
I'm definitely waiting until I am with Yggy, but I'm debating the virtues of RH-5 and WA22. WA22 looks prettier and is $500 less in stock form, though the consensus seems to be that it requires upgrades to truly impress.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #26,190 of 28,992
I'm definitely waiting until I am with Yggy, but I'm debating the virtues of RH-5 and WA22. WA22 looks prettier and is $500 less in stock form, though the consensus seems to be that it requires upgrades to truly impress.

It all begins with Yggdrasil so as far as I'm concerned, yes, it comes first. I feel your deliberations regarding Rogue versus Woo. I could solve my dilemma by caving to owning a fifth HP amp and if I do I would want a Woo Twenty Two and embrace the wallet emptying upgraded tubes at my leisure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back