The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #23,162 of 28,989
right on, ya i got the leather headband cover cushionc oming hoping that will make my 650s perfect for me :D

u think the hd800 S will also be too sharp for me? 

Yes.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #23,163 of 28,989
  right on, ya i got the leather headband cover cushionc oming hoping that will make my 650s perfect for me :D

u think the hd800 S will also be too sharp for me? 

You have comfort issues with the HD-650 which I think are a bit more comfortable than the HD-800/S which for me puts a little more pressure on the top of my head due to the clamping force being slightly, they also weigh more.

The HD-800S while being a bit warmer than the HD-800 is still a bit brighter than the HD-650, thinking that a amp with warm tubes is going to get it to the HD-650 level is not going to happen, so yes, I think the even the HD-800S will be too sharp for you.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #23,164 of 28,989
Yeah i see, hey i been reading about how as we get older we lose upper freequency hearing, do you think maybe sennheiser made the hd800/s for older people since they are more able to afford it and can enjoy it more?  so does that mean if somebody is treble sensitive, he wont be treble sensitive after he is like 35? 

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #23,165 of 28,989
  Yeah i see, hey i been reading about how as we get older we lose upper freequency hearing, do you think maybe sennheiser made the hd800/s for older people since they are more able to afford it and can enjoy it more?  so does that mean if somebody is treble sensitive, he wont be treble sensitive after he is like 35? 

If you hope your hearing loss will affect the 6-8 kHz range, you'll have to wait until you're over 80.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #23,166 of 28,989

Everyone is different, I have a slight hearing loss at 1khz to about 5khz, 0.5 to 1.0 dB the last time I had a hearing test.  In general the older we get the worse our hearing gets, unless you are one of those kids that blast the volume at 90+dB when listening all the time or your job exposes you to damaging levels then most will experience a gradual lost over the years but usually older than 35, more like 60+ is what I've noticed.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #23,167 of 28,989
yeah, after all the issues with the Elear release, I'm still curious about it, I just don't want to be part of the first batch at this point, hoping everything gets worked out and the reviews come back positive when they're more widely dispersed, because I love the design idea, both sound wise and aesthetically.  I was/am also with you with the HD800s, until SW3 and its 64bit AU implementation for the HD800, at which point I actually flipped back to preferring the HD800 for it's every so slightly less distortion in the bass.  T1 has never been for me, but I am just generally not a Beyerdynamic person.  SR009 has always been a lust item for me, especially since I get to hear one fairly regularly, I just don't like it enough more than the HD800 to build that system around it.  Whereas with my HD800 system, I will still be able to use it with my lesser gear.  

At this point my biggest journey is going to be completely figuring out my closed back end game, which I put almost impossible demands because it has to be relatively small (for work) and I want it to sound like a perfectly equalized HD800, haha.  The THX00 with the stuff I've done to it is pretty dang close, but since I've gotten the HD800 rig pretty close to how I want it, I more immediately notice the THX00 rig issues.  But then I  listen to other end game type closed rigs, and I don't really feel like they come any closer, so m9XX -> THX00/ebony cups/lawton mods may be it for me there.  It is *REALLY* good, just not quite TIII -> HD800 equalized good.  

Also considering sending in my THX00 to sonarworks for measurement and to have them create a customized neutralization profile for me.  I'd hate to spend $100 on that and then end up modding it again though, and I am not 100% settled on the pads or if I am going to add the rest of the lawton damping kit (at this point I've only done about half of it).

Re a closed headphone have you tried the focal spirit pro?

Is it more or less neutralish.

I love my hd800 at home and really enjoy the focal in transit.
Sonarworks does have a preset for it. I havent tried it yet.

The focal has scaled up really well with my sony pha3.

The only thing i would warn about is if you have large ears the cups may be too small.

In a nutshell i strongly recommend it to trial if you are looking for a neutral detailed sound with a touch of warmth/laid backness

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #23,168 of 28,989
Re a closed headphone have you tried the focal spirit pro?

Is it more or less neutralish.

I love my hd800 at home and really enjoy the focal in transit.
Sonarworks does have a preset for it. I havent tried it yet.

The focal has scaled up really well with my sony pha3.

The only thing i would warn about is if you have large ears the cups may be too small.

In a nutshell i strongly recommend it to trial if you are looking for a neutral detailed sound with a touch of warmth/laid backness

Yeah, it was pretty good, but I preferred the Fostex line a little bit more. The ether C, EMU Teak and my modded THX00 are the three best I've heard so far. It's more than just signature. Signature wise I love my Shure SRH840, but it just rings too much and loses too much clarity to be end game closed for me.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #23,169 of 28,989
  looking at the frequnecy response graph at the HD800 and it looks like even though it lifts a bit on the treble, in the higher frequnecy it does not seem to extend all the way to 10db like the hd598 and 400i do (i found those painful) - im hoping that the hd800 with my LDmk3 using mullard m8100 tubes (extremely smooth sound) will be a good end game for me cus i love my hd650, but having comfort issues that really drive me nuts. and im glad they released the hd800 S simply because it lowered the price of the HD800 LOL, u think thats why they did it? cus i a video on youtube where hitler was saying the only difference was its black and the difference in sound can be had by just by adding some stuffing into the hd800 and saving 700$ lol

also this guy seems pretty relaxed with his hd800s, maybe he is using an ldmk3 with mullard tubes too :D

wait is that the hd700? in that it's probably cause he just turned the volume off LOL jk

I have the Little Dot MKIII with Mullard tubes and the sound is poor with the HD800 (classic). Honestly, if you don't want to spend another grand on the amplifier I would not get the HD800's, they will be too treble hot and bright. The HD800S or (heavily mod) HD800 I am assuming would fair better with inferior amplification, but still it just feels wrong buying a 1700 dollar headphone and running it through a 200 dollar amp (not even mentioning the source). That is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in rush hour and using an octane lower than 91, sure it is nice and you have a Ferrari but you won't experience the maximum performance the car has to offer. Maybe the analogy was poor lol, but seriously, having spent some time now with the HD800 (and I bought it because the prices were lower since the arrival of the HD800S) if I did not have a system constructed to tame bright headphones and strengthen their sonic attributes, I would probably find the HD800 exhausting. The HD650's on the other hand, sound pleasant on the LDMKIII and EF-5, just my 2 cents. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #23,171 of 28,989
Hey guys,
I have the chance to get a Trafomatic Head One used for 800$ and I'm really considering this, since the amp I'm using now is the O2+ODAC.
What do you guys think? Does anybody here have that amp that can elaborate? 

That's kind of a older niche amp. I haven't seen anyone in the HD800 threads talk about it.

I do know the newer Trafomatic Head 2 is amazing. Someone is selling one in the classifieds for $1,500 (original $2,500 price), an absolute steal.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #23,172 of 28,989
I'm getting the Taurus mkii amp for my desktop system soon. I've heard it has good synergy with the HD800 particularly the treble. Hoping for the best.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #23,173 of 28,989
I love my Taurus Mk.2 with both my HD800 and LCD-3f (2016 Vintage), expansive soundstage, clarity without being harsh or bright, and detail like you probably haven't heard. My HD800's have the latest ANAX Mod and the Norne Draug 2 balanced and SE, so a couple caveats on synergy.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #23,174 of 28,989
  I love my Taurus Mk.2 with both my HD800 and LCD-3f (2016 Vintage), expansive soundstage, clarity without being harsh or bright, and detail like you probably haven't heard. My HD800's have the latest ANAX Mod and the Norne Draug 2 balanced and SE, so a couple caveats on synergy.

Strangely enough I like the stock sound enough not to mod it yet. But then you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back