The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #23,178 of 28,989
Hey folks, anyone experience a broken sennheiser hd800 after warranty? In the forums I see a lot of issues with audeze and Hifiman qc but not with sennheisers. I'm just curious to the price of drivers or cables break with the hd800s. Can anyone provide any insight into cost? Tyvm.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #23,179 of 28,989
Hey folks, anyone experience a broken sennheiser hd800 after warranty? In the forums I see a lot of issues with audeze and Hifiman qc but not with sennheisers. I'm just curious to the price of drivers or cables break with the hd800s. Can anyone provide any insight into cost? Tyvm.

Replacement drivers are $210 each. Not sure if they match them for you or if you have to buy matched pairs. I'm guessing those options would come out to roughly $300 and $500, respectively, with installation service.

The stock cable sells for $300 from dealers, but you can find them used on the sale forum for about $125 or so. If your stock cable does break though, do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket replacement from Norne, WyWires, Double Helix, DanaCable or one of the other well-regarded cable makers. The HD800 is so much better than the boring, flat, shrill stock cable allows it to be.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #23,180 of 28,989
I bought a stock cable from Sennheiser in 2014 for $214.  I checked on Sennheiser's website, and called them about after warranty service.  The only service they would provide was a $400 flat repair fee.  My serial 6xx were still working really well, but were missing paint, and the cables were broken, so I decided to send them in.  Biggest regret of my life.  They didn't even repair my phones.  They just sent a replacement SN41XXX headphone instead.

Does anyone know if Sennheiser changed their production process on the HD800?   The replacement headphone sounds different than my original.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #23,181 of 28,989
There is Always unit to unit variation.
Do you have the response curve for your original 800's?
And you should be able to request the curve for your replacements as well.

Comparing these 2 graphs will mostly tell you what has changed.
Sort of.
At least it's a place to start.

JJ

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #23,183 of 28,989
  And unless you like loose connectors and slow service, avoid Venus Audio.

I haven't had problems with loose connectors. Definitely not speedy service, but the three cables I have/had hold up fine.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #23,185 of 28,989
I also haven't had any quality issues with the 3 cables I've purchased, but it's a slow service for sure. Even when messaging on eBay, the response is slow.

This actually worked in my favour - I wanted a different cable than I initially asked for and they switched it!

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #23,186 of 28,989
  And unless you like loose connectors and slow service, avoid Venus Audio.

The HD-800 cable from them is great, sold it after I built my own and the other 3 cables (2 hifiman, 1 HD-6xx) all worked great, only have one of the hifiman left, sold the other 2 since I have been building my own.  I guess every one has different experiences with various sellers.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #23,187 of 28,989
Yup .Very good experience with Venus Audio as well. Very well built cable. Very resistant despite the fact I'm not careful at all with this poor cable. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #23,188 of 28,989

If you are reasonably careful handling the HD800 (not dropping it or yanking the cable, or stepping on it) then it just doesn't break.
wink.gif

Therefore there isn't a lot of talk on issues with the HD800.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #23,189 of 28,989
Just moved from Sennheiser single-ended stock cable, driven by Lehmann Linear Black. I loved the warmth of this combination, and it was extremely listenable. Very warm, and easy-going.
But I was curious to see how far I could push the HD800's...
Now listening to them via Cardas balanced cable, driven by Musical Fidelity MX-HPA. WOW!
Everything is now 'tightened up'. The slightly flabby bass has gone, and is taught and precise. The slightly muddy soundstage is now clear-as-a-bell, and this combination is a clear improvement.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #23,190 of 28,989
I was considering getting the Schiit lyr with tubes and liist solid state tubes. Is this a good combo for the hd800 (my only high end headphones are the 800). I've not been on headfi much over the past two years, are their any new popular amps for under $1000 or same old recommendations eg vioelectric.
Other option is the hdvd800 as I can get one discount by a third of the rrp.
Im based in the UK so more limited in options than those in the us.
Thanks for any help people can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back