The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #21,991 of 28,989
Thanks for all the advice, I am going back this afternoon to have a second listen and I am almost certain I will go for it. The deal offered is just too good.

The shop has an excelent reputation, and the kit is in pristene condition, headphines are nit even burned in. The balanced cable is the official Senheiser one, so we are talking near to £3k worth of stuff, just a couple of months worth of use on it all.

I will see if I can have a 30 day warrenty as I was advised, but Im pretty sure he said this was included.

A little excited right now :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #21,993 of 28,989
Hey guys,

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say my wallet has pretty much been murdered by a purchase of the hd800. That's right, Mr. Beyerdynamic himself bought some HD800's.

I couldn't help it, Amazon had them for $1,140 this morning and I bought a pair, and yes directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. They'll be here in tomorrow actually, shipped from Madison early this morning, and I'm in Milwaukee. I'm far to anxious. I nkow, I said I'd never buy a set of these, but I got oh so tempted and that price pushed me over the edge.

Now my top three high end cans are the: HD800, T1, and HD700.
Exuse me, but why you didn't go for HD800S? Its because of price difference or i guess you like brighter cans?

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #21,994 of 28,989
  Hey guys,

It's with a heavy heart that I have to say my wallet has pretty much been murdered by a purchase of the hd800. That's right, Mr. Beyerdynamic himself bought some HD800's.

I couldn't help it, Amazon had them for $1,140 this morning and I bought a pair, and yes directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. They'll be here in tomorrow actually, shipped from Madison early this morning, and I'm in Milwaukee. I'm far to anxious. I nkow, I said I'd never buy a set of these, but I got oh so tempted and that price pushed me over the edge.

Now my top three high end cans are the: HD800, T1, and HD700.

Congrats.  You will love it I am sure.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #21,996 of 28,989
So recently I've gone through some changes in my computer setup where now all I have is a laptop and spend a lot less time at home than previously so time with my HD800 is limited. Actually it's so limited I haven't touched my home setup in months (3 or more). I have a Violectric V800 dac and Auralic Taurus amp. I'm thinking of consolidating into an all in one device that takes up less retail space than my current setup and keeping the HD800 or downgrading to an all in one and a lower tier headphone. I know option two probably revokes my audiophile rights around here but it is what it is.

If I were to sell my dac and amp and go for an all in one, are there any decent options that can serve the HD800 well that doesn't take up too much space. Since my current setup is too good for my uses (or lack of use) I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k on it. I know companies such as audio gd have a bunch of all in one's but they take up a lot of retail space, are heavy and located in China so customer support/language barrier could potentially be an issue.

Of course I am in no rush since my current setup is pretty much my "end game" setup but I see no point in having close to 3k in components I don't use.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #21,997 of 28,989
Had my second listen today with music I know this time, and it was a really enjoyable experiance, feel very lucky this unit is coming home with me. Left a deposit and will be picking it up either tomorrow or Friday. A couple of suprises where the fact that the bass was not at all underwhelming like some people complain of, and I didnt find the treble too peaky (although maybe thats because of the hdvd 800?). 

I went for the whole package in the end as it was too good a bargin, so HD800, a hdvd800, se and sennheiser ballanced thrown in. 

I cant wait for a good few days with it and really start to get to know it more than just initial quick impressions from a couple of 45 min listening sessions.

Edit: HD800 not 600

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #21,998 of 28,989
Had my second listen today with music I know this time, and it was a really enjoyable experiance, feel very lucky this unit is coming home with me. Left a deposit and will be picking it up either tomorrow or Friday. A couple of suprises where the fact that the bass was not at all underwhelming like some people complain of, and I didnt find the treble too peaky (although maybe thats because of the hdvd 800?). 

I went for the whole package in the end as it was too good a bargin, so HD600, a hdvd800, se and sennheiser ballanced thrown in. 

I cant wait for a good few days with it and really start to get to know it more than just initial quick impressions from a couple of 45 min listening sessions.
you've got a great bargain their,and the best of it is,if you ever feel like an upgrade,all you have to do is change the dac.ENJOY:blush:

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #21,999 of 28,989
  So recently I've gone through some changes in my computer setup where now all I have is a laptop and spend a lot less time at home than previously so time with my HD800 is limited. Actually it's so limited I haven't touched my home setup in months (3 or more). I have a Violectric V800 dac and Auralic Taurus amp. I'm thinking of consolidating into an all in one device that takes up less retail space than my current setup and keeping the HD800 or downgrading to an all in one and a lower tier headphone. I know option two probably revokes my audiophile rights around here but it is what it is.

If I were to sell my dac and amp and go for an all in one, are there any decent options that can serve the HD800 well that doesn't take up too much space. Since my current setup is too good for my uses (or lack of use) I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k on it. I know companies such as audio gd have a bunch of all in one's but they take up a lot of retail space, are heavy and located in China so customer support/language barrier could potentially be an issue.

Of course I am in no rush since my current setup is pretty much my "end game" setup but I see no point in having close to 3k in components I don't use.

Have you taken a look at the Grace Design m9xx?
It surprised me how good it sounded on my HD800. I don't know if it meets your expectations of desktop real-estate.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #22,000 of 28,989

Dangerous Music Source. Takes little space, fits within a backpack. Excellent features. Can really improve the sound if you add a linear power supply down the road (Teradak 12V13A for me). I find it a very good match with HD 800. American company for studio gear.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #22,001 of 28,989

I went for the whole package in the end as it was too good a bargin, so HD800, a hdvd800, se and sennheiser ballanced thrown in. 

Edit: HD800 not 600

Happy listening. Years of it.  You cannot go wrong with this level of quality!

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #22,002 of 28,989

Why not sell everything and go with the new AKG N90Q? It basically owns super-high-end portability. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #22,003 of 28,989

It would be worth trying the Chord Mojo. It is absolutely tiny and it actually does surprisingly well with the HD800.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #22,004 of 28,989

It would be worth trying the Chord Mojo. It is absolutely tiny and it actually does surprisingly well with the HD800.

I agree. That would be my recommendation as well. Technically it is certainly ahead of everything in its price category, not to speak of size category.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #22,005 of 28,989
And for going balanced, I already have a cable made up for these. I bought some HD800 connectors a few weeks back in anticipation of this moment, and made a HD800 cable out of some UPOCC wire.

I too bought the largest HD800 connectors I could find and made my Draug2 cable with them,

But in the end, the connection was sooooo super tiny that they kept breaking from wire inside...

This tiny garbage HD800 connector was such a stupid idiot idea for Sennheiser that I had to hard-wire my cable:

Yet being stuck with one cable has its benifit and drawbacks,
And I wanted to try some other wires,
So in the end, I had to go get bold and install mini XLR connectors :

It took some daring hole drilling to resize the hole bigger,
And had to go in at a slight forward angle.

But finnally I have the best solution for my HD800, and a new paint job can't hurt.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back