The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #21,542 of 28,989
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #21,543 of 28,989
  how do you disconnect the cable from HD800, not obvious, and I don't want to ally force.

Yeah, it sits in there pretty tight but basically you"ll have to wiggle (not twist or turn) a little bit and pull it straight out. It is held in place by a magnet which is pretty strong. So once you get over the first 1or 2 mm it pops right out. A little scary the first time
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #21,544 of 28,989

Yeah, it sits in there pretty tight but basically you"ll have to wiggle (not twist or turn) a little bit and pull it straight out. It is held in place by a magnet which is pretty strong. So once you get over the first 1or 2 mm it pops right out. A little scary the first time
wink.gif

that makes sense, thank you, I was wondering about that, I tried with a little force, and didnt want to apply too much.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #21,545 of 28,989
  that makes sense, thank you, I was wondering about that, I tried with a little force, and didnt want to apply too much.

Some fellow head-fier pm'd me and possibly the little notch with needs to be aligned when pluggin in could be the reason for the very tight snap and not actually a magnet. That was just my guess as the effect is pretty similar. So there might actually NOT be a magnet, sorry for the confusion
redface.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #21,546 of 28,989
My way of removing a connector from my precious set of hd800's. Get a stable grip on the frame of the headphone (cup). Make sure you are not going to slip and crush the metal screen etc. Grip the connector where it has curves to fit your fingers. I use index and thumb. Pull straight. Wiggle does not really help and you do not want to expand the connector channel. When it comes time to replace the connector, the notch makes sure you cannot put the connector back incorrectly. Line it up. I hear the connection can loosen up with repeated pulling out and putting in. (I can hear you!) so don't do it too often. My third party balanced cable is not as tight.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #21,548 of 28,989
Yeah, no magnet involved from what I have seen.
There is a groove inside the cable barrel connector that mates with a rib inside the headphone socket. 
What you are feeling is the rib snapping into the groove.
The notch (headphone side) and peg (cable side) are only there to ensure the leads are lined up correctly.
here's a picture

Some fellow head-fier pm'd me and possibly the little notch with needs to be aligned when pluggin in could be the reason for the very tight snap and not actually a magnet. That was just my guess as the effect is pretty similar. So there might actually NOT be a magnet, sorry for the confusion
redface.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #21,549 of 28,989
2 questions.

Has anyone tried to Anodize the HD800's ?

And has anyone tried to make custom pads for it?

Both things I'm wanting to do. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #21,551 of 28,989
  how do you disconnect the cable from HD800, not obvious, and I don't want to ally force.

As an added side note to the already solid advice given by several members be careful not to apply force or pressure on the mesh around the cup area.

Be mindful of where your fingers are when you pull out the connector.

2 questions.

Has anyone tried to Anodize the HD800's ?

And has anyone tried to make custom pads for it?

Both things I'm wanting to do. 

Not that Im aware of besides a high end paint job from Colorware.

No custom pads as far as Im aware of either.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #21,552 of 28,989
I'm just sitting hear listening to Mark Knopfler Tracker in FLAC format in VOX running my Mac Pro out through my UA Apollo to a Cavalli Liquid Carbon into my HD800's balanced..... Oh....my....god.... 

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #21,553 of 28,989
  I'm just sitting hear listening to Mark Knopfler Tracker in FLAC format in VOX running my Mac Pro out through my UA Apollo to a Cavalli Liquid Carbon into my HD800's balanced..... Oh....my....god.... 

Yup. Mark Knopfler really makes your HD800 shine. On Every Street has never sounded as good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back