The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #21,526 of 28,992
  Hello let me ask a question.
i know this question is better for speaker thread. but there is good kind HD800 users who own loudspeaker also in this thread.
I have been searching loudspeaker setup which has same SQ with well driven HD800.
Is there any good loudspeaker setup outthere for cheap budget? Sould i try  new B&W 800 series?
I did bought KEF LS50 pair as jude's recommend at head-fi buying guide of speaker section.
KEF LS50 sound great! They did blown me away. but HD800s little bit sounds better.
but my modded and EQed and well amped HD800s sound better than KEF LS50! I don't know why?
Do you know the reasons? whats wrong with my choice of gear? Please teach me.

here is my headphone/loudspeaker setup

headphone: cheap Marantz CD6005 optical out > SRC2496 >DEQ2496(digital EQer) > some DACs(i change sometimes) > Luxman P-700u > modded HD800 (sounds heaven!
biggrin.gif
)
loudspeaker: Marantz SA11S3 > Marantz PM6005(is this amp too cheap??should i try expensive one?) > KEF LS50

Thank you!(sorry for my bad english! I live in Tokyo)

First of all, why don't yo use the SA11S3 also for your headphone set up, different location? I use the same source and the result is awesome with the HD800.
To the speaker question:
After getting the HD800 initially I was pretty sure there was no way that my speakers would be able to compete with the resolution these headphone where able to transport. That was until I got a First Watt M2 power amp. Temporarily I used a Luminous Audio Axiom II (passive pre) for adjusting the volume for the speakers, now the pre-out from my GSX-Mk2. With the M2 the speakers resolution is pretty close to HD800 level and what is surprising that even listening at moderate levels, all the detail in quieter passages of the music is still there.
Class A, no feedback design by Nelson Pass.
beerchug.gif

I'm not sure about the sensitivity of the LS50. The concept of the First Watt design is simple circuits with exceptional SQ but rel. low powered. The M2 brings 2x 25W into a 8Ohm load. So in my set up the amp upgrade did make a huge difference for the speaker performance.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #21,527 of 28,992
Connectors on my Venus-audio cable are larger than the Stock ones indeed. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #21,528 of 28,992
Any Belgians, Dutch or (northern) French here that could advise me on buying materials for anaxilus modding of my HD800? (What foam or felt? Where to buy it?) Anyone experienced in this or willing to try it out as well? Thx!

Any access to Cultura Supermarkets ? 

http://www.cultura.com/fle-papier-mousse-a4-2mm-noir-fle-papier-mousse-a4-2mm-noir-3700408319854.html is the substitute for creatology 
and here's the felt I used http://www.cultura.com/coupon-feutrine-30x45-noir-coupon-feutrine-30x45-noir-3135500000506.html 

Hope it helps. :wink: 

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #21,529 of 28,992

First of all, why don't yo use the SA11S3 also for your headphone set up, different location? I use the same source and the result is awesome with the HD800.
To the speaker question:
After getting the HD800 initially I was pretty sure there was no way that my speakers would be able to compete with the resolution these headphone where able to transport. That was until I got a First Watt M2 power amp. Temporarily I used a Luminous Audio Axiom II (passive pre) for adjusting the volume for the speakers, now the pre-out from my GSX-Mk2. With the M2 the speakers resolution is pretty close to HD800 level and what is surprising that even listening at moderate levels, all the detail in quieter passages of the music is still there.
Class A, no feedback design by Nelson Pass.
beerchug.gif

I'm not sure about the sensitivity of the LS50. The concept of the First Watt design is simple circuits with exceptional SQ but rel. low powered. The M2 brings 2x 25W into a 8Ohm load. So in my set up the amp upgrade did make a huge difference for the speaker performance.

Thank you for reply!
Yes SA11S3 is at different location. its for speaker setup at my living room. headphone setup is at my bed room.
Your experience is very informative! I may try some good power amps! Thank you for your advices!
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #21,530 of 28,992
Can someone clarify something for me please? 

Are there two diameters of HD800 plugs (the part that goes into the ear cup?  I have a pair of ENIGMAcoustics Dharma headphones that use the same plugs in the ear cups as the HD800...........but the Norne Audio Vanquish cable I use for my HD800 will not fit in the Dharma due to outside diameter of the plug being a few thousandths too big.  I'd like to be able to put the smaller diameter plugs on the Norne cable and use it for both headphones since it's only 5' long and very supple.

Any help is appreciated gents. 

I have seen different sized plugs, usually due to someone copying the OEM plug incorrectly. I was helping a vendor test their new cables and we found out that the source he used to get the plugs was making copies of the OEM plug and falsely calling them OEM. But they were loose enough that the cable would not stay put during use. Needless to say the cable vendor had words with the source and then went to a better source for in spec connectors.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #21,531 of 28,992
  Hello let me ask a question.
i know this question is better for speaker thread. but there is good kind HD800 users who own loudspeaker also in this thread.
I have been searching loudspeaker setup which has same SQ with well driven HD800.
Is there any good loudspeaker setup outthere for cheap budget? Sould i try  new B&W 800 series?
I did bought KEF LS50 pair as jude's recommend at head-fi buying guide of speaker section.
KEF LS50 sound great! They did blown me away. but HD800s little bit sounds better.
but my modded and EQed and well amped HD800s sound better than KEF LS50! I don't know why?
Do you know the reasons? whats wrong with my choice of gear? Please teach me.

here is my headphone/loudspeaker setup

headphone: cheap Marantz CD6005 optical out > SRC2496 >DEQ2496(digital EQer) > some DACs(i change sometimes) > Luxman P-700u > modded HD800 (sounds heaven!
biggrin.gif
)
loudspeaker: Marantz SA11S3 > Marantz PM6005(is this amp too cheap??should i try expensive one?) > KEF LS50

Thank you!(sorry for my bad english! I live in Tokyo

These are amazing for the price.  Better than the B & W 800 series IMHO ( I have heard them both) .     You can buy them for around 1299.00 a pair.    They come very tight.   Need to run them for a 100 hours before any critical listening.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-jade-3-loudspeaker#oL3M1wBOziFDGU6c.97

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #21,532 of 28,992

Are there two diameters of HD800 plugs (the part that goes into the ear cup?  I have a pair of ENIGMAcoustics Dharma headphones that use the same plugs in the ear cups as the HD800...........but the Norne Audio Vanquish cable I use for my HD800 will not fit in the Dharma due to outside diameter of the plug being a few thousandths too big.  I'd like to be able to put the smaller diameter plugs on the Norne cable and use it for both headphones since it's only 5' long and very supple.

Had a issue with cheap china plugs, sometime they were too loose and would not stay attached correctly, but then for the price you can get 3 pairs vs the one pair.  Note that its seems like only the outside housing of the plug that needs to be changed, the inner section where the cables are attached seem to be no different from cheap to expensive.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #21,533 of 28,992

Any access to Cultura Supermarkets ? 

http://www.cultura.com/fle-papier-mousse-a4-2mm-noir-fle-papier-mousse-a4-2mm-noir-3700408319854.html is the substitute for creatology 
and here's the felt I used http://www.cultura.com/coupon-feutrine-30x45-noir-coupon-feutrine-30x45-noir-3135500000506.html 

Hope it helps. :wink: 

I thought the creatology was adhesive. How do you use the papier mousse in place of it? I live near a cultura....

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #21,534 of 28,992
  I thought the creatology was adhesive. How do you use the papier mousse in place of it? I live near a cultura....

I bought some double sided tape : http://www.amazon.fr/Scotch-Permanent-Double-face-ruban/dp/B00004Z47L/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450209335&sr=8-9&keywords=double-sided+tape 

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #21,535 of 28,992

I bought some double sided tape : http://www.amazon.fr/Scotch-Permanent-Double-face-ruban/dp/B00004Z47L/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450209335&sr=8-9&keywords=double-sided+tape 

Ok I have that. Merci Beaucoup!

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #21,536 of 28,992
Hey guys need your opinion.

There is a Woo Audio WA6 being sold for $500 CAD (like $360 USD) that is local, although he bought it in 2012 he said about 50 hours of use total and is in mint condition.

Or should I wait to get a used Valhalla 2 for around $290 USD which is $400 CAD once someone offers it for sale.

The woo is priced extremely well so I'm really unsure.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #21,537 of 28,992
  Hey guys need your opinion.

There is a Woo Audio WA6 being sold for $500 CAD (like $360 USD) that is local, although he bought it in 2012 he said about 50 hours of use total and is in mint condition.

Or should I wait to get a used Valhalla 2 for around $290 USD which is $400 CAD once someone offers it for sale.

The woo is priced extremely well so I'm really unsure.

I auditioned the HD800 with WA6. I thought it was an excellent combo. For 500 I'm surprised no on scooped it up already on CAM.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #21,538 of 28,992
sorry for slightly offtopic, but I found a answer for my privious newbie question which i post here. so i will post FYI who use KEF LS50.
I found KEF LS50 require properly setting backward at least >500mm wide(and this was written on LS50 owners manual.). with this setting, LS50 sound rich, full, 3D, lifelike, very fun!
Thank you guys who advice me. and Thank you @jude for recommend us KEF LS50 at head fi buying guide!
I'm extlymly happy now!
Happy merry chiristmas!!!
now please back on topic. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #21,539 of 28,992
  sorry for slightly offtopic, but I found a answer for my privious newbie question which i post here. so i will post FYI who use KEF LS50.
I found KEF LS50 require properly setting backward at least >500mm wide(and this was written on LS50 owners manual.). with this setting, LS50 sound rich, full, 3D, lifelike, very fun!
Thank you guys who advice me. and Thank you @jude for recommend us KEF LS50 at head fi buying guide!
I'm extlymly happy now!
Happy merry chiristmas!!!
now please back on topic. Thanks!

500mm wide?  Do you mean 500mm in front of a back surface?  Or do you mean 500mm wide as in each LS50 from the other, in a near field application on a large table?

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #21,540 of 28,992

So I got the calipers out last night and measured the Norne plugs vs the stock Enigma Acoustics plug ends (which appear to be the same size as the stock HD800 cable. 

Norne (on the top in the picture) is .370 and the Enigma Acoustics is .310, which explained the non-fit of the Norne cable on my Dharma headphone.  I'll have Ted @ Headphone Lounge put on the smaller plug ends after Xmas. 

Thanks for the info. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back