The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #21,572 of 29,010
Anybody recommend a reasonably priced copper cable? Where to find the best combo of price/quality? Im not sure Im a cable believer.

If you want a noticeable upgrade i would look around for a used Cardas Clear cable. I just got mine in, still breaking it in, but can notice increased clarity & instrument separation already. I was never a cable believer before, but wow! I cant believe how much of a difference they make on my hdvd800 with balance Cardas Clear! I am sure a believer now!

They will pop in the "For Sale" section here every once in a while for a discounted price.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #21,573 of 29,010
Well so far Im impressed with these HD800s. I first heard them at the LA canjam back in 09(?) and i remembered the huge soundstage. Finally decided to buy my first set. The midrange is so detailed and natural. Top to botton they're very clean with no distortion anywhere. I like hearing every little nuance in voices and guitars etc. Very nice. They really transfer the emotion.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #21,574 of 29,010
If anyone is looking for a new cable for the HD800 but doesn't want to pay the high prices of premade cable. See if the company that you like will sell the raw cable and contact Peterek. He makes some very high quality cables at a fraction of the cost.

This was a cable he made for LCD-X (if i recall correctly) with the litz copper/silver cable. Sold it for considerably cheaper then the stock premade price.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #21,575 of 29,010
Venus-audio on ebay is a geat cable maker as well. very reasonably priced products. http://stores.ebay.com/ilikevenusaudio/  

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #21,578 of 29,010
Dec 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #21,580 of 29,010
  Is there any point in looking for a cable upgrade? Is it worth it if you don't mind the aesthetics of the stock cable?

I would also recommend staying with the stock cable for a while, say 6 months.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #21,582 of 29,010

After 6 months, those stock Sennheiser designed cables should have enough time to settled in.  You should have learned how it sounds with the genre of music you enjoy.  Is the low enough for your organs, EDM.  Are the vocals lush enough for you?  Etc....
Then you can ask upgrade experts the areas you want improvement.
Over the years, the major areas where I found premium cables add that are noticeable are noise, low frequencies and then all the other stuff like clarity, soundstage, separation, etc.  Most of all, it is noise.  With a cave-silent background, you will get your clarity and definition via headphones.

But, depending on your music absolute silence may not be worth an extra $500 to $2000 in cables.  Frankly, in the case of HD800 the cables are darn great.  I have tried Cardas' best as well as ALO and two other custom names with the HD800 only to find that they all address certain individual ranges in frequency.
Yes, I would recommend ALO with Bach organs but is it worth changing everytime?  
There really isn't some a cable that does everything great out there.  At least what I have found.

IMO, give that stock cable a try first.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #21,583 of 29,010
Still loving my HD800s after almost two years of ownership.  Zero regrets.

However, the stock cable has come apart at both connectors (spontaneous stress fracture inside each cable connector; fixed with super glue, internal wires not affected, no damage to cans themselves), and the rubber/vinyl sheathing is cracking and splintering apart like some cheap Radio Shack cable.  Has anyone noticed this sort of wear and tear at all?  Being Colorware headphones, I'm not eligible for warranty replacement of the cable, and I'm loathe to spend $300 for another set of identical rubbish from Sennheiser if others are having similar issues.

For those who have replaced them, any advice on vendors that don't charge a $150+ "HD800 Premium" on their cables, like Moon Audio does?  I know I won't hear any appreciable difference in a cable upgrade, so I'm really just looking for a better built replacement, if possible, and I'm curious what you folks have chosen for those, or if I'm in some weird minority with my cable construction issues here.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #21,584 of 29,010
Still loving my HD800s after almost two years of ownership.  Zero regrets.

However, the stock cable has come apart at both connectors (spontaneous stress fracture inside each cable connector; fixed with super glue, internal wires not affected, no damage to cans themselves), and the rubber/vinyl sheathing is cracking and splintering apart like some cheap Radio Shack cable.  Has anyone noticed this sort of wear and tear at all?  Being Colorware headphones, I'm not eligible for warranty replacement of the cable, and I'm loathe to spend $300 for another set of identical rubbish from Sennheiser if others are having similar issues.

For those who have replaced them, any advice on vendors that don't charge a $150+ "HD800 Premium" on their cables, like Moon Audio does?  I know I won't hear any appreciable difference in a cable upgrade, so I'm really just looking for a better built replacement, if possible, and I'm curious what you folks have chosen for those, or if I'm in some weird minority with my cable construction issues here.
About 140.00 on eBay. Ela industries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back